To think the standard school packed lunch is...

(518 Posts)
EleanorBloodBathsket Thu 18-Oct-12 14:23:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cherrytomatoes Tue 23-Oct-12 13:03:46

I think you will find that a person can only be bullied if they give a shit about what the other person thinks. I am not sitting here crying into my pillow, I am actually sitting here shaking my head thinking, wow, I really cannot believe how lacking in knowledge some British women are when it comes to food and nutrition.

First off, not that it's relevant, but I'm not from some fancy West London suburbs with my kids in pre prep trying to outdo the Ok Yah mums in my class. In fact it is the complete opposite. Secondly the way I pack my food and the type of food I cook has a lot to do with what I have seen other mums from other cultures do e.g. Indian and Chinese mums, who cook hot food and put it in tiered boxes. Not ones from Harrods, just cheapo lunch thermoses that cost about a tenner. Had mine for 3 years, still looks like new. Also, one of my parents is not English and is from a culture where you actually cook food from scratch rather than model yourself on Natasha from Jamie's Ministry of Food (pre series ;) You should watch and learn something from other cultures who would never dream of feeding their kids shit.

Finally, I am not going to apologise to anyone on this board who thinks my food choices are "not cool". Oh actually no, I think I'll feed my kids shit so everyone likes me, but screw up their health - err OK. Really, really do you know how ignorant you guys sound when you come off as being bastard hard because your kid eats shit and you wouldn't be seen dead giving your kid good food?

Anyway, here's what else I give my kids in their stainless steel lunch boxes and their paraben free, toxic free plastic trays. Hope you like it! Don't forget to add a wet towelette smile

Snack - homemade raspberry/ blueberry/ banana/ carrot muffins.
Homemade lasagna, bolognaise and veggie sauce.
Kids chilli con Carne and rice.
chicken casserole and rice
Yakults - oooh, treading on dangerous ground here, however the benefits of lining a kids stomach with good bacteria (where most colds start) out ways those nasty E's and sugar.

Sandwiches - smoked salmon and cream cheese, cheddar cheese, tuna salad, turkey salad. but not any old bread - a mixture of white and bread, ciabattas and other middle class pomp breads.

Now, here's one for headline:
Serrano ham, a selection of cheeses, olives and some foccacia! Jesus, my kid is going to get the shit kicked out of him in the playground by the kid with the Wotzits.

Sometimes my children say that their mates have kit cats or Oreos at school and ask me for them. I tell my kids that they are not having them at school but can have them as treats when we are out.

end of grin

SoupDragon Tue 23-Oct-12 13:10:32

Also, one of my parents is not English and is from a culture where you actually cook food from scratch

Yes, because the English don't cook from scratch and "foreign" cultures don't every use convenience food.

What a load of utter bollocks.

Soup
I was thinking the same. Ever been around a supermarket in France, plenty of convenience food there.

RosemaryHoyt Tue 23-Oct-12 13:18:18

Wow, I wish I had that much spare time. Off to go and defrost some fish fingers, made in the Uk dontcha know.

Taffraid Tue 23-Oct-12 13:21:01

"smoked salmon, serrano ham"

These aren't budget options exactly are they?

cherrytomatoes Tue 23-Oct-12 13:23:33

Well, I have lived in one southern european country and have spend a lot of time in another with different households and from what I can see they generally buy fresh produce daily and cook from scratch. I am sure some of them do eat crap, but in general they eat a thousand times better than Brits do. If you go somewhere like Barcelona, you will not see KFC's and McD's on every street corner because they prefer to eat tapas which is generally very good quality, made on premises.

Look, really I do not care whether you think I'm talking bollocks or not. The fact that I cannot remember the last time one of my kids had a cold and are hugely fit and strong tells me that feeding them well pays off massively.

Each to their own.

eBook Tue 23-Oct-12 13:23:55

Salmon and shrimp paste, and normal ham, are just fine smile

rockinhippy Tue 23-Oct-12 13:24:00

I think you will find that a person can only be bullied if they give a shit about what the other person thinks

True cherry but thats something we tend learn as adults - not so easy for a DC to grasp until much much older - no matter how many times you tell them, its still something they eventually have to learn from themselves - even more difficult to grasp because they DO care what the other thinks as they were once their best friend.

As for the rest of your rant ICBA as its utter bollockshmm - how do you know you are the only none English poster on this thread, or the only one cooking from scratch - mind you, I suppose to the thick as shit unenlightened things like Maki, Cous Cous etc rolls ARE English these daysgrin

eBook Tue 23-Oct-12 13:27:57

> I think you will find that a person can only be bullied if they give a shit about what the other person thinks

But in a way, that's trying to shift the responsibility. It's up to the bully not to bully people, isn't it? It's normal to care what other people think, especially if you're spending a lot of time with them.

rockinhippy Tue 23-Oct-12 13:27:58

I think you lost a couple of words cherry - but in general they eat a thousand times better than Brits I KNOW do wink

Better get back to baking my jamaican xmas cake, homemade spelt flour cocoa biscuits & preparing tonights lentil chilli grin

cherry
I hate to break this to you but you are not the only person who has relations from cultures outside of the UK or even Europe shock. My SIL in North Africa cook from scratch, they also use terrifying amounts of salt and sugar consumption is epic. However, a lot of the veg is home grown, the milk and lamb comes from their own animals and one of my SIL builds a wood burning mud oven and cooks fab bread. And this lovely food is washed down with bottles of fizzy drinks inc the adults (its pretty much the only time I let the kids have fizzy stuff).

Very few cultures have perfect diets.

naughtymummy Tue 23-Oct-12 13:31:44

Sorry cherry,I just cannot see how my dcs would be able to store and eat a packed lunch which contained spaghetti bolongnaise or vegetable lasange (both of which dd loves)at school. The prevailing culture in this country is that the main meal is taken in the evening. Do your Dcs eat another full hot meal in the evening ?

Barcelona - oh come on!
The reason they are not in KFC is because they are in Pans & Company buying sandwiches and chips....

naughtymummy

My DC do take hot food a couple of days a week in one of these
www.amazon.co.uk/Thermos-Stainless-Steel-Food-290ml/dp/B004DGJLWU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1350995596&sr=8-3

It fits in their lunchbag and keeps the food hot until lunchtime.

IAmSheWhoMustBeObeyed Tue 23-Oct-12 13:38:07

All of which just goes to prove what a minefield feeding children has become.

Sushi grin

rockinhippy Tue 23-Oct-12 13:39:44

I use a food flask for DD too naughtymumy & they are great, though I did find it was no use & she really struggled with getting the lid off in the very short lunchtime they get until she was 8/9 -

I gave up before that as she needed staff help to open it & they are usually too busy to help quickly, leaving her too little time to eat.

just remembered the DC my DD worried about getting ONLY crisps & kitkat everyday comes from a strict, non english speaking family, so doesn't ft with your Brit diet bashing rant either cherry

naughtymummy Tue 23-Oct-12 13:42:40

How old are your dcs ? Do they eat it straight out the thermos ? My dcs are 6 &8 they would unable to reliably serve from one of those on to a plate (tbh if I tried I think something like lasange would look like a dog's dinner. And why ? Most schools have a hot option and the dcs wil get a hot meal at night.

Woozley Tue 23-Oct-12 13:43:01

So though I can understand your shock, you might want to think a bit more, & stop reading things between the lines of posts that aren't there BEFORE you judge others as being incompetent parents

Incompetent parents? Talk about reading between the lines and seeing something that isn't there! I've obviously hit a raw nerve...

I do have 1 DD in junior school, no comments about her lunch from other kids AFAIK, the only one who complains is DD herself if I give her something she doesn't like!

naughtymummy Tue 23-Oct-12 13:48:52

Ah Rockinhippy I see your dd is older. I think this maybe good for secondary age dcs. Especially if busy after school or a long way home.Luckily our school does reasonable hot meals. So I do that a couple of times a week, then give them something lighter that night.

Personally I wouldn't want such a heavy meal twice a day.

MsMadelineashton Tue 23-Oct-12 13:49:10

Who knew this was such a contenscious subject! Ihave never considered that DD could be bullied about her lunchbox! She goes to a very multicultural school - 25 languages spoken - and the lunchboxes vary so much that the kids just don't give a shit who has what. She sometimes says that her best friend is in to this or that and can she have it, which is usually met with a "no" because it's something that i know wont fill her up.

She doesn't eat much (no time, too busy chatting and playing) so generally i give her thing sthat i know will fill her up. If I gave her a penguin, or crisps, she would eat those and leave the rest and not get the nutrition that she needs. So generally she has a banana, a wholemeal bread cheese sandwich, some ham,maybe a yogurt. Some hummous and carrots.

Much healthier than what all my friends and I grew up on in the 80s, but alas, we live on to tell the tale.

Now, my personal lunchbox snobbery is more to do with packaging! Some of the lunchboxes are attrocious! I think if we're thinking of our children's futures we should be far more concerned with how much waste is produced every day from lunchboxes in the way of crisp wrappers, clingfilm etc. I don't know if anyone has ever looked at how much it is, but I bet it's a lot. We put everything in containers and wash them out each day. (smug)

naughtymummy
Mine are 5 and 9 and manage fine with a food flask. I give them hot meals on the days were they have after school activities so might not eat so much in the evenings.

Oh and yes they eat straight out of the pot.

theodorakis Tue 23-Oct-12 14:18:30

cherry, can you make my packed lunches please? And to Madeline, I have known kids be told off for having cheese as it is too high fat. Agree about the packaging, crisps may not be fashionable but at least i do buy big packs and put a few in a tub. I also use paper bags so I am not all bad!

We use these for sandwiches
www.re-wrap-it.co.uk/

They double up as a clean surface to eat off and are washable.

naughtymummy Tue 23-Oct-12 14:24:00

That is brilliant! Dh is always complaining about cling film usage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now