To be a bit narked about this party

(150 Posts)
StrangeGlue Mon 15-Oct-12 12:17:45

oh my first AIBU....eek!

My friend and her sister are having a join 35th party. It's a train journey away (£72) and obviously I'll get her a present.

The invite has arrived and I have to take my own food and drink!

They both work and they're having the party in their well-off parents back garden (so no venue hire costs) so am I being unreasonable to think they could be supplying at least the food if not also the drink?

You'd be mad to go!

Send her a card and a voucher. Tell her you'd love to arrange something soon for the two of you. And keep your £100 for something actually worth spending it on!

complexnumber Mon 15-Oct-12 19:13:28

Sorry, can I post that again with the bold stuff where it's meant to be:

complexnumber I suppose I am assuming fellow employees are not poking bits of poo up the tap. Who knows?! I do know another colleague (different workplace) was caught pissing in the sink.

I'm also presuming the water was boiled. Right enough that was colleagues reply too - but they were tap touching to fill the kettle, then rifling around in a bag/caddy to get the tea bags for their tea.

Hopefully the office cleaner wasn't using the same cloth to wipe the toilet and sink either. Who knows? Waslostnowamfound

My own, possibly rather 'rustic', view maybe comes from living in a W.African village for two years without any running water (i.e. no flushing toilets) or electricity. You shat in a hole, then washed your arse by dabbing your hands in water and using your fingers to wipe the shit off you then splashed some more (river) water on your hands to clean them.

None of the people within that village would appreciate their habits being called 'disgusting' it was what they had being doing for generations.

but they were tap touching to fill the kettle that's quite funny.

There is no point in us arguing about this as we obviously come from completely polarised views.

Thanks Iodine. I've had two more dcs since then and I'm too bloody tired I think. grin

It was one of those one off nights where everyone played along and I think it finished about 6am.

I'll let you know if I ever get up the energy again. And I've just remembered we sent everyone home with bacon butties. Sounds too much like hard work to do now. blush

complexnumber Mon 15-Oct-12 19:14:57

Oh blimey!

I have SO MUCH just misposted!

irishchic Mon 15-Oct-12 19:23:07

OP I would not be going to this party on principle alone! Not to mention that it will cost you a fortune and you'll be standing around in the cold all night, what's not to hate? hmm

StrangeGlue Mon 15-Oct-12 19:24:23

complex that is a classic mis-post!

fuckadoodlepoopoo Mon 15-Oct-12 19:34:35

Complex. grin

fuckadoodlepoopoo Mon 15-Oct-12 19:35:29

I was really confused there for a minute. Thought they were going to be pooping in a hole at the party!

fuckadoodlepoopoo Mon 15-Oct-12 19:37:19

itsatrap A (now ex) friend threw a party a few years ago for her dp, the food consisted of a few Iceland party platters and soggy sandwiches. she then sent a (mortified) friend round the party guests with a glass asking for contributions for the food! The worst bit is she then spent ages bragging about how much profit she had made from peoples contributions! Bonkers!

Uergh. I went to one like that as well. The host came sound and asked for a set amount each. It was so weird.

fuckadoodlepoopoo Mon 15-Oct-12 19:43:15

That one about the bloke getting everyone to bring his favourite wine is shocking!

TheProvincialLady Mon 15-Oct-12 19:44:21

Spend the £72 train fare on a taxi to send a paper plate of tinned pork luncheon meat sandwiches and half a bottle of lambrini with the lid sealed up with brown tape. And then stay in the warm in your own house. This party will be rubbish.

StrangeGlue Mon 15-Oct-12 20:19:38

Right, so if I don't go what do I say? I don't have the stomach for the very honest "I'm not coming because I think you're tight and the party will be crap'.

Euphemia Mon 15-Oct-12 20:22:57

Say "Sorry, with Christmas coming I just can't afford the train fare, but have a fab party!"

Osmiornica Mon 15-Oct-12 20:31:21

Just say it'll be too expensive what with the train fare, food and drink. Ask to see her another weekend.

When I've had people round for a party I always provide food especially if they are coming a long way. Does she seriously expect you to lug food and drink on the train to her place?

whois Mon 15-Oct-12 20:32:41

YANBU

Party should provide food AND some booze but would also expect to take a bottle or two with me.

Tight arse. So typically English.

Bogeyface Mon 15-Oct-12 20:34:22

Re Winter garden parties.

The best BBQ I ever went to was at the beginning of November. It PISSED it down! There was a couple of gazebos up to shelter from the rain, a couple of heaters and lots of booze and warm clothers, it was brilliant!

But.....the host provided the food, which must have cost a lot, and his brothers all clubbed in to pay for the beers and wines, and we all took a load more.

I wouldnt go to this one though!

ChickenFillet Mon 15-Oct-12 20:35:02

I had a party this year with a pay your own drinks at the bar but I paid for a DJ, venue, buffet, etc.
Some people want the party ooooh look a me but not to have to do anything.
Chumps.
It cost me a grand.
It was fun. smile

Bogeyface Mon 15-Oct-12 20:35:04

Whois I dont think it is typically English at all! Are you English? Do you do that?

I am English and I have never ever experienced this!

Error404 Mon 15-Oct-12 20:37:28

"My friend and her sister are having a join 35th party"

I must be really stupid and have missed the obvious but presumably they're twins are they?

Kennyp Mon 15-Oct-12 20:38:00

Tighter than a gnat's chuff, as they say.
I couldnt be arsed to go if that was the set up

MadBusLadyHauntsTheMetro Mon 15-Oct-12 20:39:19

Is that "typically English"? confused I thought it was supposed to be Scots who were tight assuming one deals in daft stereotypes at all

StrangeGlue Mon 15-Oct-12 20:40:09

No they aren't twins but there's only 11 months between them so they're having it to coincide with the younger sister's birthday.

squeaver Mon 15-Oct-12 20:40:14

Stargeglue - don't you have something else on that you've only just realised was in the diary? You'd forgotten all about it because you were asked to save the date months ago....

You live 200 miles away, you presumably have a completely separate group of friends she doesn't know at all. She'll never know...

hermioneweasley Mon 15-Oct-12 20:41:30

You won't get to see her that much at the party. Why not take her out for a meal instead another time - if you book far enough in advance I would think you old get your train cheaper?

StrangeGlue Mon 15-Oct-12 20:42:28

Yes if I'd had more than a month in notice I think the train would be cheaper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now