To like Kirstie Allsopp?

(186 Posts)
plaingirly Sun 14-Oct-12 13:18:43

Pretty much all of my friends and colleagues seem to hate her! Something about setting women back 60 years.

I like her - and all the craft stuff. I don't see that she is setting women back or being anti-feminist. Surely feminism is about choice so she is choosing to live the way she does - and has the freedom to do that.

In interviews she always seems pretty straightforward and doesn't hide who she is. She is a bit posh but that is who she is - no point hiding the accent! Maybe I am biased because I love all the crafty homemaking type stuff. (And her clothes.)

"For some women, the wedding-veil canopies, crocheted jellyfish mobiles and calli-graphy place cards in Kirstie’s Vintage Home (more recession-friendly than her previous books and television series, it has tips on how to transform old fabrics and furniture into modern-day treasures) are not only off-message but demeaning. Sally Bercow called one of her shows 'condescending, too-good-to-be-true, middle-class nonsense’.

Allsopp is unflustered by such criticism. 'When people call me a 1950s housewife trying to take us back – that’s so wrong,’ she says. 'I consider myself a feminist. I have the most balanced and equal relationship with my husband. Likewise at work with Phil [Spencer, her 'TV husband’ of the past 13 years]. He’s paid the same as me and I expect to get paid the same as any of the men on Channel 4.’"

www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9599318/Kirstie-Allsopp-televisions-crafty-lady.html

squoosh Mon 15-Oct-12 21:01:20

If you say so.

MamaMary Mon 15-Oct-12 21:06:38

I don't mind her, but she's little more than a salesperson on LLL. I dislike the way she tries to sell the property to the couple no matter what it's like - it could be a rubbish house and she's claiming it's perfect. I lost respect for her when she started telling a couple the 'obvious solution' for a house would be to extend it at the back when it was clear to me (having had a similar house) that an extension wouldn't work at all. I realised it was all total b**l**t! And the builders the couple hired proved me right!

comelywench Tue 16-Oct-12 11:28:13

showtunesgirl You like your friends in spite of their political beliefs because there's more to a person than their political beliefs.
It's just lazy to say I dislike her (the person) because she thinks x,y or z. Conversely, I have no problem if you dislike her because she keeps banging on about x, y and z.

plaingirly Tue 16-Oct-12 17:42:10

I have never really watched the property programmes but love the craft shows. Sky plus them and then watch them repeatedly.

showtunesgirl Tue 16-Oct-12 17:52:05

comely the biggest problem I have with Kirstie Allsopp though is the fact that she does not seem to understand why someone would have different political leanings to herself. That's the big difference here. My friends are Tories but they can see another person's point of view. When KA has been on things like QT, she has shown time and time again that she doesn't understand anyone who is not in the same boat as her.

kensingtonkat Tue 16-Oct-12 18:02:07

My main beef with Kirsty Allsopp is that she's got a very big mouth and a pea sized brain.

I really struggle to understand how someone so very expensively educated an be so very, very thick. She has no GCSEs and yet is so deluded she thinks she's appropriate casting for Question Time, or public policy roles such as housing tsar.

Her homefinding business had to go into liquidation, her home design "business" licence has been a spectacular markdown, and I can't recall a single episode of LLL where her negotation skills have added anything to the process. (Her clients have paid ceiling price on every purchase made on the show, according to a survey on House Price Crash).

She was a vile on Celebrity Apprentice, having hissy fits like a spoilt child when she didn't get her way.

She was boasting about buying British the other day on Twitter. Turns out she was boasting about her collection of Hunter wellies. Which are American-Chinese and have been for years.

She's a pox and the sooner she's off baking cakes for Ben instead of pontificating about things she patently knows zero about, the better.

squoosh, is there something wrong with being married to a banker?

I think Kirsty is great and the cottage looked really good after she had finished - much better than Sarah Beeny's renovation which just looks tacky because she tried to do it on too tight a budget.

comelywench Tue 16-Oct-12 20:01:45

That's fine showtunesgirl you dislike her because she's narrow-minded, not because she's a Tory.

showtunesgirl Tue 16-Oct-12 20:29:12

No, I dislike because she's a narrow-minded Tory. grin

showtunesgirl Tue 16-Oct-12 20:32:47

her

comelywench Tue 16-Oct-12 21:53:06

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now