To like Kirstie Allsopp?

(186 Posts)
plaingirly Sun 14-Oct-12 13:18:43

Pretty much all of my friends and colleagues seem to hate her! Something about setting women back 60 years.

I like her - and all the craft stuff. I don't see that she is setting women back or being anti-feminist. Surely feminism is about choice so she is choosing to live the way she does - and has the freedom to do that.

In interviews she always seems pretty straightforward and doesn't hide who she is. She is a bit posh but that is who she is - no point hiding the accent! Maybe I am biased because I love all the crafty homemaking type stuff. (And her clothes.)

"For some women, the wedding-veil canopies, crocheted jellyfish mobiles and calli-graphy place cards in Kirstie’s Vintage Home (more recession-friendly than her previous books and television series, it has tips on how to transform old fabrics and furniture into modern-day treasures) are not only off-message but demeaning. Sally Bercow called one of her shows 'condescending, too-good-to-be-true, middle-class nonsense’.

Allsopp is unflustered by such criticism. 'When people call me a 1950s housewife trying to take us back – that’s so wrong,’ she says. 'I consider myself a feminist. I have the most balanced and equal relationship with my husband. Likewise at work with Phil [Spencer, her 'TV husband’ of the past 13 years]. He’s paid the same as me and I expect to get paid the same as any of the men on Channel 4.’"

www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9599318/Kirstie-Allsopp-televisions-crafty-lady.html

VivaLeBeaver Sun 14-Oct-12 23:09:42

I love her on location, have caught small bits of the craft programme but didn't watch a full episode.

I'm sure I read somewhere that one of the crafty experts she went to see said she was horrible during filming. Totally uninterested, got a minion to do 95% of it. Then when the camera were on turned on the charm and pretended shed done this thing that she hadn't.

She seems quite ok on twitter.

MadBusLadyHauntsTheMetro Sun 14-Oct-12 23:11:46

Same here. I've always loved browsing, buying, obsessing over and living with old furniture and household goods. And I always will, regardless of whether or not it's considered fashionable, middle class, twee or any of those other dreadful things. I spent years in the wilderness while everybody else was buying black glass coffee tables and thought old stuff was weird, so I'm sticking by "twee" now.

I love Kirstie AND I love Beeny.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 14-Oct-12 23:17:43

I saw Sarah b buying cushions in a shop near me. She hada nice coat.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Sun 14-Oct-12 23:31:06

Beeny is my hero.

scarlettsmummy2 Sun 14-Oct-12 23:48:20

I thought she was great on 'the hotel'. Really down to earth and much more in tune with the reality of life for the trainees than Mary Portas or Gordon Ramsay. She seems very genuine and kind and its not her fault she is posh! Would rather spend time in her company than many other supposed salt of the earth celebrities or reality tv 'stars'.

janelikesjam Mon 15-Oct-12 00:05:09

Who is she?

suzydelarosa Mon 15-Oct-12 00:50:49

I love Kirsty but not so much the new crafty persona.

She has my body shape pretty much exactly and I read an interview with her saying that her body doesn't suit trousers; that she only wears dresses and skirts.

I took her cue and stopped wearing trousers about 5 years ago. And she was right - I look a million times better in a skirt

So for that fashion tip alone, I am grateful.

I fear however if I tried to be her BFF she wouldn't have it - am too much of a pleb! blush

NewNames Mon 15-Oct-12 00:55:52

YABU. Tory.

Popumpkin Mon 15-Oct-12 01:04:33

MrsJay not Laura Ashley as far as I know but Cath Kidston is Kirstie's cousin.

FWIW I love Kirstie. I like that she just comes across as a lovely, friendly, jolly person. There is enough sadness & depression in real life, a bit of jolliness on TV (albeit posh, twee, chintzy etc) can only be a good thing IMO.

Likewise Sarah Beeny.

CurrentBun Mon 15-Oct-12 01:14:15

She's great teamed with Phil on the property shows but she just exploits the craft scene for cash. She's tapped into it and now endorses anything.
I know one of the artists featured in her Homemade home who is riding on the back of it so I suppose that's something.....not just Kirsty milking it then.

That place she did up in Devon is actually a holiday let and she makes tons of cash from that too.

MummysHappyPills Mon 15-Oct-12 06:13:48

Sarah beany is just so whiny though. At least Kirstie smiles and seems to mean it. grin

Pastabee Mon 15-Oct-12 07:44:12

YANBU. I like her. I especially like Location although I preferred the old 30 minute format.

I met her once and thought she was warm and genuine. Was on a train with her and it was all very bizarre as I was heavily pregnant and she sparked up a conversation about my bump and the whole time I was thinking 'you're Kirsty off the tv' and wondered if I should mention it.

Latara Mon 15-Oct-12 07:47:19

She lives on a different planet to me but seems very likeable....

One of my best friends is very posh & reminds me a bit of Kirstie; except she's tiny at size 6-8 - i'm more Kirstie's size!

I do like the house in 'Kirstie's Homemade Home' - love that she calls it a cottage though; my house would fit in a corner of that house!

ModernToss Mon 15-Oct-12 08:32:41

Beeny is wonderful - practical, knowledgeable and intelligent (and beautiful).

Allsop is a Tory bossyboots.

SomersetONeil Mon 15-Oct-12 08:44:39

I love her and I'm a dyed in the wool feminist.

I adore baking, crafts and drinking wine faffing in the kitchen. She is right up my alley.

LaQueen Mon 15-Oct-12 08:50:11

"I would say takeaway offering sexual favours and then getting what you want"

[wonders why in 10 years of marriage, she never thought of that hmm ]

LaQueen Mon 15-Oct-12 08:51:45

I think Kirstie and I would get on like a house on fire...in fact, I'm sort of a taller, more blonde (less posh voiced) version.

I happen to spend many a happy hour, re-arranging my linen cupboard and tucking scented lavender sachets between the sheets. Bliss.

LaQueen Mon 15-Oct-12 08:55:57

Meant to add, my friend works in PR, and has worked with many of the supposedly normal, friendly, girl/boy next-door type celebrities...most of them were absolutely vile, and up their own arses to the nth degree.

Whereas, Kirstie is apparently genuinely friendly, and nice - with a lovely, dry sense of humour smile

I like Kirstie on Location Location Location. I love posh accents (also because not being English posh accents are easier to understand). Never seen her other programs or indeed I wasn't aware she had them (not in the UK)

soverylucky Mon 15-Oct-12 09:16:36

Her clothes are horrendous she seems years older than me i think we are the same age. Many of the mums at ds school are followers. They seem to like nothing better than talking about decorating and cake baking professional mummys. Seems fashionable to be twee at the moment I blame Kirstie

So it's ok to criticise a woman for her clothes and criticise women for enjoying baking........erm........why?

I am a professional woman who in my spare time loves to decorate cakes. I do these for family and friends as a hobby. Why do women have to be so critical of others?

I always think she and I would have a right old laugh together. I can see why she wouldn't be some people's cup of tea (no pebbly shit in her house wink ) but I love to see what she is wearing and enjoy her crafting programmes.

In fact, I only discovered her while watching a rerun of Homemade Home, while sprawled out on the sofa feeling poorly and very sorry for myself.

It inspired me to try making a few bits and I am now a confident sewer, knitter and crocheter. So there <puts out tongue>

eBook Mon 15-Oct-12 10:00:23

Hear, hear soverylucky

Startailoforangeandgold Mon 15-Oct-12 10:01:59

Kirsty's fine.
DD1 and I enjoy a cup of tea and a nice homely craft show.

My arty DD likes to unwind with bits of knitting, sewing and felting.

She also likes doing something tough and technical out doors too.

porcamiseria Mon 15-Oct-12 10:03:23

she comes across as very likeable

agree, I would not dress, decorate or live like her

but so what? she seems warm and I like her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now