To like Kirstie Allsopp?

(186 Posts)
plaingirly Sun 14-Oct-12 13:18:43

Pretty much all of my friends and colleagues seem to hate her! Something about setting women back 60 years.

I like her - and all the craft stuff. I don't see that she is setting women back or being anti-feminist. Surely feminism is about choice so she is choosing to live the way she does - and has the freedom to do that.

In interviews she always seems pretty straightforward and doesn't hide who she is. She is a bit posh but that is who she is - no point hiding the accent! Maybe I am biased because I love all the crafty homemaking type stuff. (And her clothes.)

"For some women, the wedding-veil canopies, crocheted jellyfish mobiles and calli-graphy place cards in Kirstie’s Vintage Home (more recession-friendly than her previous books and television series, it has tips on how to transform old fabrics and furniture into modern-day treasures) are not only off-message but demeaning. Sally Bercow called one of her shows 'condescending, too-good-to-be-true, middle-class nonsense’.

Allsopp is unflustered by such criticism. 'When people call me a 1950s housewife trying to take us back – that’s so wrong,’ she says. 'I consider myself a feminist. I have the most balanced and equal relationship with my husband. Likewise at work with Phil [Spencer, her 'TV husband’ of the past 13 years]. He’s paid the same as me and I expect to get paid the same as any of the men on Channel 4.’"

www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9599318/Kirstie-Allsopp-televisions-crafty-lady.html

MadBusLadyHauntsTheMetro Sun 14-Oct-12 14:01:01

I like her. She's a bit of a cliche and not very aware of what's happening outside her own demographic, but so are lots of people.

Sally Bercow called one of her shows 'condescending, too-good-to-be-true, middle-class nonsense’.

I like her even more now. Sally Bercow gets on my tits.

MadBusLadyHauntsTheMetro Sun 14-Oct-12 14:04:48

She didn't make quite as much of a tit of herself on QT as Carol Vorderman did, mind. Oh, good god...

Inneedofbrandy Sun 14-Oct-12 15:08:44

I luffs her and all her program's. I want her house her Christmas and her craftiness. I want her bluebell garden to. I wish she would do more housey stuff with the auction rooms again. It made me think about not buying new furniture. I don't think she's a Tory dolly either or patronising.

I also love that she always wears skirts.

squoosh Sun 14-Oct-12 15:17:00

‘If you do what your partner prefers, he is happy and the children have a great time too.’ If that's not a Stepford sentiment I don't know what is.

I don't mind her on Location x3 but her crafty programmes are beyond twee. I have no fucking interest in watching you make some stained glass to hang in your Dorsey holiday home. I have no fucking interest in waiting with baited breath to see if your elderflower cordial wins a ribbon at the village fete.

Mrsjay Sun 14-Oct-12 15:18:58

what noddy said I can't stand her all thisfloaty nonses really gets on my wick isn't she realted to Laura Ashley or is it somebody else

I loved listening to her faux altruistic arguments for sending her children to private school when she appeared on Question Time recently (the debate included issues about social mobility) - hilarious.

Luckily someone in the audience called her on it and asked her if they were the only reasons she went private - tellingly she did not respond.

calypso2008 Sun 14-Oct-12 15:31:38

I like Kirstie, most of all I admire her confidence.
She can be a little bit irritating though...

noddyholder Sun 14-Oct-12 15:32:21

I bet she says luffs too fgs we are women

calypso2008 Sun 14-Oct-12 15:33:22

I have no fucking interest in waiting with baited breath to see if your elderflower cordial wins a ribbon at the village fete.

grin grin

Inneedofbrandy Sun 14-Oct-12 15:34:13

How does saying luff mean you are not a woman? Didn't realise certain. Words were for certain genders confused

noddyholder Sun 14-Oct-12 15:37:08

It sounds infantile but just imo

Charliefox Sun 14-Oct-12 15:46:13

She's too bossy britches with the lovely Phil these days.

catgirl1976 Sun 14-Oct-12 16:49:42

I like her. I think everyone is best approached with a full stomach.

I would rather ask a contented person a favour than an uncontented one. I don't think that's sexist. It's common sense.

I don't wait till I have fed DH though, I wait till he has had a bottle of wine grin

Trazzletoes Sun 14-Oct-12 16:55:49

I think she's fab. I didn't realise she had so much power she could set an ENTIRE generation of women back 60 years... grin. If you don't like her, just change channel, surely?

Mayisout Sun 14-Oct-12 18:07:58

Why would anyone waste evenings making STufF when they could be lolling in front of Xfactor or browsing mumsnet. Strewth get a life!

Trills Sun 14-Oct-12 18:13:45

Some stuff is worth making. Sloe gin, for example.

I bet most people who watch her don't actually make stuff. They just like seeing her make stuff. Like cookery shows. They are entertainment more than instruction.

LeftyLucy Sun 14-Oct-12 18:16:57

What noddy said. She makes me feel very stabby indeed.
Beeny on the other hand...

QueefLatina Sun 14-Oct-12 18:21:47

I don't dislike her but she isn't Sarah Beeny

I bloody love Sarah Beeny!

plaingirly Sun 14-Oct-12 18:41:27

I like a lot of her crafts but some I do just watch. Too much equipment needed and I already have a craft mountain!

I would pinch her wardrobe though.

She reminds me a bit of girls at school.

I LIKE twee!!

umiaisha Sun 14-Oct-12 18:48:44

I like her in Location, but not so keen on her crafty programmes.

I don't like her clothes though, think they make her look loads bigger than she probably is.

SoupDragon Sun 14-Oct-12 18:49:08

How does saying luff mean you are not a woman?

It doesn't. It just makes you sound a bit thick.

MadBusLadyHauntsTheMetro Sun 14-Oct-12 18:50:54

But I LUFF saying luff!

monkeysbignuts Sun 14-Oct-12 18:51:23

I really like her, she is none offensive imo!
I like Phil more though blush housewife crush!

LocoParentis Sun 14-Oct-12 18:57:47

I really like her, yes she's posh and has tv programmes about making pointless crafty things but she's not sanctimonious about it unlike that twat hugh wassisname with his foraged ingredients and corn fed chickens in his back garden that everyone has time for ofc.

Inneedofbrandy Sun 14-Oct-12 19:01:31

Really hmm thick because you say LUFF. I would say it's more thick to never expand on the beautiful English language, which is always expanding.

I also think it's thick to expect people to only like the same type of programs/people as well, very small minded right there.

I would also say if people didn't like her she wouldn't keep getting new series, which she is in November smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now