to think that sleep regression and the virgin gut are a recent phenomena

(105 Posts)
FunnysInLaJardin Sat 13-Oct-12 22:02:09

they didn't exist when I had DS1 7 years ago and so I think they can't be true.

FunnysInLaJardin Sat 13-Oct-12 22:15:09

Quad I just have a feeling in my water that the VG thing is bollocks. Tis all. DS1 is nearly 7. Poor thing with his unvirgined gut

Aboutlastnight Sat 13-Oct-12 22:15:12

It was all one big bloody regression, from birth until about age 3 for all of mine hmm grin

BreastmilkDoesAFabLatte Sat 13-Oct-12 22:15:38

I can't comment on virgin guts but about the myth of sleep regression: could someone pleeeeeeease tell that to the previously-fantastic-at-night "D"S who will now only sleep on my right shoulder after six verses of The Wheels on the Bus sung in the key of F major?

CakePops Sat 13-Oct-12 22:15:57

Thanks Funnys.

OddBoots Sat 13-Oct-12 22:16:09

Wasn't the 4 month thing just called a growth spurt before?

I'm sure the concept behind the virgin gut was about when I had my ds (now 13).

SamSmalaidh Sat 13-Oct-12 22:16:10

Aboutlastnight - I don't think BLW was called "finger food", finger food is just a type of food isn't it confused rather than a way of feeding.

gerardbutlersthighs Sat 13-Oct-12 22:16:11

If its a male child is it technically regression as they never grow up...

gerardbutlersthighs Sat 13-Oct-12 22:16:38

And is a virgin gut sponsored by Richard Branson?

FunnysInLaJardin Sat 13-Oct-12 22:17:21

ha ha About when I weaned DS2 1.5 years ago it was called finger food and not BLW. Mostly because he just ate what he was given and wouldn't be spoon fed. Plus I wasn't purist enough not to give him a spoon

Aboutlastnight Sat 13-Oct-12 22:18:59

Well you used to just put food on the tray of the high chair and the kid would eat it. We called it 'finger food'

Sometimes you would give them some mashed up food using a spoon!

livingfortoday Sat 13-Oct-12 22:19:28

Never experienced sleep regression with either.

Both slep through from 8 weeks 7 to 7.

Eldest is six and wakes to pee n has nightmares, he currently is more of a pain at night than ever.

Dd 8 mnths

SamSmalaidh Sat 13-Oct-12 22:20:00

If you sometimes give them finger food and sometimes spoon feed them then it's not BLW though is it, it's just normal weaning grin

Aboutlastnight Sat 13-Oct-12 22:20:23

And yes my middle child hated the spoon so used to eat baked beans on by one. Mealtimes took aaaages grin

livingfortoday Sat 13-Oct-12 22:20:42

Yy blw is just finger food but cooked versions.

I've done a bit of both, depends where we are n what we cooking.

ovenchips Sat 13-Oct-12 22:21:23

My DD is 7 and I was acutely aware of sleep regressions.

I thought the best thing about these hideous periods was that they did have a name and there was in fact naught to be done about it.

Isn't that the good thing about labelling them sleep regressions - that you know that's what's going on and you don't have to kill yourself trying to 'solve' the problem? That all you can do is wait for it to pass? I found it reassuring anyway.

Aboutlastnight Sat 13-Oct-12 22:21:31

Christ - it's all weaning!!!!

DuelingFanjo Sat 13-Oct-12 22:21:40

I think people call it 'sleep regression' to reassure you it's normal so you don't worry about finding a solution.

ItMustBeSaturday Sat 13-Oct-12 22:21:54

?? Both terms around when dd (nearly 10) was a baby...yabu. Look at threads on here - every time there's a mum exhaustedly posting that her previously settled baby has started behaving like a newborn again, you can guarantee said baby will be around 4m old...happens too often nit to be a 'thing'.

ItMustBeSaturday Sat 13-Oct-12 22:22:23

*not

TwickOrTweasels Sat 13-Oct-12 22:26:01

My DD is at the 18 month sleep regression. As for 18 months she HASN'T FUCKING SLEPT grin

When I was still bf, I got loads of help off here and Kellymom and started getting into all sorts of conspiracy theories as a result (not discounting the help and support, it was invaluable). However, I have since came to the conclusion that they are just babies, they are all different, what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another and I have no idea how to deal with them grin

Viewofthehills Sat 13-Oct-12 22:26:24

Well my DC's 4 month sleep regression x3 was magically solved by baby rice x3.
I think sleep regression only came into being when not weaning until 6 months became an obsession.
As for Virgin gut- it may be true, but the minute you put formula in it it's not a virgin gut anymore, is it? So I think baby rice is a far less allergenic option once breastfeeding is no longer enough.
I wish people would apply a bit more logic, instead of mindlessly following the latest government advice.

MigGril Sat 13-Oct-12 22:27:45

the virgin gut doesn't have a huge amount of evidence to spur out at present mainly due to the fact we aren't allows to go around curing up a whole loss of babies digestive tracts to see what they look like. doesn't mean it's not a child theory and that they may out mayor disprove it at some point.

sleep regression, we had a discussion about this the other day on another thread. the conclusion was it's always been there just that we used to see it as a sign to wean. Now we know waking more often isn't a weaning sign it's been labelled as something else.

5madthings Sat 13-Oct-12 22:29:36

my eldest is 13 and i knew about the virgin gut and not weaning till 6mths then! i did my own research/reading and there was plenty of advice about. by the time i had ds2 in 2002 the official advice was not to wean till 6mths.

i also knew about sleep regression, part own experience and part reading. its certainly been true with my 5 (tho not so much ds4) that at certain ages/developmental stages their sleep has regressed.

Aboutlastnight Sat 13-Oct-12 22:35:37

"My DD is at the 18 month sleep regression. As for 18 months she HASN'T FUCKING SLEPT"

Yup that was my experience too..I see threads about sleep regression and I think regression?? You mean your child was sleeping????

CoteDAzur Sat 13-Oct-12 22:35:37

Quite possibly YANBU.

I haven't seen sleep regression at 4 months or at any later time with either DC. At that stage, DD was waking for a feed twice in the night. We started sleep training at 4 months and she slept through after two nights. Since then, she has always slept through, barring the occasional fever, teething, etc. She is now 7. Same story with DS, except that we sleep trained him at 5 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now