in not allowing my ex to let my 5yr old daughter talk to her death row boyfriend on the phone

(116 Posts)
munkiboy1971 Wed 10-Oct-12 22:00:57

She's been 'involved' with death row inmates since we split 2 yaers ago. She's sent pictures of our kids to them before and I asked her not to involve them in her relationships before now but I recently found out that she was allowing our youngest daughter to talk to her latest squeeze when he calls (using his illegally held mobile phone which inadvertanly have been paying for with the money I give to her for the kids).
It creeps me out to know she's been doing this and I've asked for a signed letter to say she's not going to do it again.
She's a pretty fancy piece of work but I really don't understand how even she can possibly think that what she is doing is in any way right.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 10-Oct-12 22:18:03

Are you in the UK? Where is your ex?

DameFannyGallopsAtaGhost Wed 10-Oct-12 22:18:10

Well you can also let the prison know he's got an illegal mobile, and that your ex isn't a trustworthy correspondent? I imagine she's made the contacts through a charity of some sort - maybe raise your concerns with them too?

BlueSuedeWitchesHat Wed 10-Oct-12 22:19:33

I read this as your 5yo has a boyfriend on death row...

Me three! It took me ages to decipher the true meaning. I think it's bedtime.

OP YABU, Death row inmates need love too. He's probably just misunderstood.

munkiboy1971 Wed 10-Oct-12 22:19:59

In hindsight that could have been worded better.............................

DameFannyGallopsAtaGhost Wed 10-Oct-12 22:20:04

To the other posters, there are a lot of people writing to death row inmates in the states, from all over the world - sometimes they even get married. Now that's bizarre...

babyfirefly1980 Wed 10-Oct-12 22:21:51

I'm going to call karl pilkington in on this one...bullshit man to the rescue.

Narked Wed 10-Oct-12 22:22:04

They are allowed to make phone calls. You didn't need the 'illegally held mobile phone.' Sloppy.

Dawndonna Wed 10-Oct-12 22:23:13

Actually, it is a child protection issue, and if the NSPCC advised otherwise, a situation I find unlikely, then they are wrong.

imperialstateknickers Wed 10-Oct-12 22:23:47

munki could you answer shotgun's questions please?

AgentZigzag Wed 10-Oct-12 22:24:38

What your ex spends her money on is her own business.

Have you ever thought about...hang on, I'm wasting my time writing out any more aren't I? <sucks teeth>

RedTuesdayGreenWednesday Wed 10-Oct-12 22:24:49

If this is real, you are all being quite callous.

PickledFanjoCat Wed 10-Oct-12 22:26:01

Unlikely, but that's a chance I'm willing to take.

birdofthenorth Wed 10-Oct-12 22:26:44

I think it says a lot about a person if they solicit romances with convicted killers who have literally no prospect of freedom! Clearly YANBU to want your 5 yo not to talk to murderers. Obviously.

How does your ex even "meet" these people? Are they allowed Internet access? Bizarrio.

Happylander Wed 10-Oct-12 22:27:13

Hmm so your ex calls a mobile from UK to the states. I am assuming they are in UK as you mentioned NSPCC. That would cost a fortune and I really doubt she is doing it.

munkiboy1971 Wed 10-Oct-12 22:27:46

My ex is in the uk as am I.

PickledFanjoCat Wed 10-Oct-12 22:27:48

It's those darned sexy orange boiler suits.

imperialstateknickers Wed 10-Oct-12 22:28:49

OP.... yoo-hoo...anyone there???

<tumbleweed blows>

imperialstateknickers Wed 10-Oct-12 22:30:15

Oh sorry x posted there munkiboy blush

Being serious, I really think you need to get legal advice.

McHappyPants2012 Wed 10-Oct-12 22:31:48

Op I wouldnt like my children speaking to a murder, I wouldn't pen-pal them either.

I can forgive most crimes, but murder is one I couldn't.

If this is true, then as a parent with PR I would be talking to a family law solicitor and getting so proper advice

numbum Wed 10-Oct-12 22:32:15

Why do people assume this is a troll? Is it because it's a man? What would the response be if it was a woman saying 'My x-DH lets our DC talk to a woman in an American prison, she's on death roll, how can I stop the DC talking to her'?

Not the same response I'm sure

munkiboy1971 Wed 10-Oct-12 22:32:20

My ex is doing it and I found out because my daughter told me her mum lets her speak to an american with the same name as a man who I know she is contacting on death row.
My ex also admitted this to me when I confronted her.

imperialstateknickers Wed 10-Oct-12 22:33:05

I've not seen any mention of where xp's boyfriend is - everyone's assumed he's in the States. In which case, the rules about mobile phones in prison, esp. prisoners sentenced to death, may be different to those here.

arthurfowlersallotment Wed 10-Oct-12 22:33:30

Women in love with death row inmates was a special feature in last week's Chat magazine.

Not that I errrr, read it or anything..

squoosh Wed 10-Oct-12 22:34:34

Oh dear, of course it's not because it's a man.

imperialstateknickers Wed 10-Oct-12 22:34:43

Getting fed-up with xposting here! Munki what sort of access/parental rights agreement do you currently have with her?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now