To think my sister is unfeeling/not bothered about me

(24 Posts)

To had an interview with an agency today. I had found out where the office was, but basically the office was around the corner. I went into the foyer of an office block to get directions, by this time I was a bit late. I was rushing and as a result I walked (really quickly) into a plate glass door which I had thought was an open door. I ended up on the floor from the impact, have a huge bruise on my knee, a swollen knee, and a huge lump on my forehead.

Anyway, getting to the point, I texted my sister hoping for some sympathy. Her reaction was to text back that she thought it was funny.

BellaTata Tue 09-Oct-12 21:04:28

Sorry you may not want to hear this but if one of my friends text me saying this my first reaction would be to laugh. She may have thought you were joking as that is pretty unlucky, especially when you have an interview. Prehaps if she knew you were serious then her reaction may have been different.

Unfortunately, she did know I was serious as we exchanged a series of texts.

cookielove Tue 09-Oct-12 21:10:32

I would have laughed too, and if i had been with you when it happened i would have laughed out loud for so long that i may actually have passed out i'm mean but then me and my friends are like that!!

Oooh, i also ignore most people when they go fishing for sympathy, or compliments as it's just bloody annoying blush

OrangeImperialGoldBlether Tue 09-Oct-12 21:17:39

Christ, cookie, what's wrong with asking for sympathy when you're battered?

dickiedavisthunderthighs Tue 09-Oct-12 21:17:53

On a laughing scale of 1 to 5 where 1 is someone tripping on the pavement and 5 is someone falling in a pond, walking into a plate glass door is a 4. Sorry OP. blush

UndeadPixie Tue 09-Oct-12 21:24:16

Sorry, I would have laughed first too. Offered sympathy later, but laughing would be my first reaction to an injury like that!

ScaryBOOAlot Tue 09-Oct-12 21:33:45

I ran into a sheet of glass in a glass maze once. So hard I ended up in a heap on the floor.

It was hilarious.

Hope your pride isn't too bruised and the interview went okay.

yousankmybattleship Tue 09-Oct-12 21:35:57

Oh dear. I hope you're ok. But it is funny.

Whatdoiknowanyway Tue 09-Oct-12 22:28:43

I don't think it's funny at all. Never have understood the humour in someone else's distress.
Sorry you got hurt and hope you feel better soon.
Did you get the job?

HumphreyCobbler Tue 09-Oct-12 22:31:09

I too have never really been able to understand why people getting badly hurt is funny. I find lots of other things amusing. But not that.

<offers sympathy to OP>

Sorry, I would have laughed first then offered sympathy next. Then got a bit annoyed at how precious you were being. I do hope you're ok but YABabitU

Joiningthegang Tue 09-Oct-12 22:35:14

Someone i knew had a car accident, ended up in a ditch, was ok, until she took off her seatbelt and banged her head on the car roof - i pissed myself laughing - then remembered to be sympathetic - comedy injury is funny

You are being a little bit too sensitive

Hope you get better soon x

SoleSource Tue 09-Oct-12 22:45:55

Must have been painful, humiliating. Sorry.

But I lmao when I imagined what ypu desctibed and at tbhe image your accident may have created for the peopme on tne other side of the glass. Squished face.

Anonymumous Tue 09-Oct-12 22:49:34

My children fell about laughing when they watched Willy Wonka walk into the door of the Great Glass Elevator yesterday. Then I admitted that I'd done the same thing once in a shop, whereupon they squeaked, "REALLY?!" and practically wet themselves. DH was also heard chortling away in the next room. Sorry, but it is one of those things that makes people laugh whether you like it or not. I sincerely doubt that it means your sister is unfeeling or not bothered about you!

alcibiades Tue 09-Oct-12 22:57:20

I loathe that type of "humour". It isn't funny, it's mocking someone, and not far short of the sniggering childishness of a school playground.

SoleSource Tue 09-Oct-12 22:59:37

I laugh at myself when I fall over. If tbete is a lot of pain, blood or something else it isn't funny.

LonelyCloud Tue 09-Oct-12 23:04:51

But even if you did think it's funny, it's a bit insensitive to text someone back saying that.

Hope you're okay, OP.

SoleSource Tue 09-Oct-12 23:06:16

If I was there at tne time I would not laughI would be concerned.

catwomanlikesmeatballs Tue 09-Oct-12 23:18:35

I would have laughed toogrin

I think that people divide into two groups, those who find it funny when people hurt themselves and those who don't.

I don't feel "right" today. I have a bruise on my knee, a lump and bruise on my forehead and a headache.

Thanks for the sympathetic comments, they are appreciated.

arthurfowlersallotment Wed 10-Oct-12 15:01:08

OP, you sound like you had a bad shock as well.

I walked into a patio door once at a BBQ and everyone laughed. I did too, eventually after crying for a while first

Hope you're okay

DesperatelySeekingPomBears Wed 10-Oct-12 15:15:16

I recall having to have a little sit down in Newcastle city centre one night when a bloke did something similar.

He was arguing with his partner and swing around to go into Burger King and just pasted himself against the locked door. I nearly weed.

SilkieChicken Wed 10-Oct-12 17:30:52

I would laugh at myself in that situation. I also would know that others would find it funny and tell them too. I guess it does depend on the sense of humour.

I am really clumsy and recently tripped over my front door step and head butted my front door, so ample opportunity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now