to ask who has had botox or fillers or plastic surgery of some kind?

(278 Posts)
wrinklesandproud Tue 09-Oct-12 19:55:08

(namechanged for this).

I can honestly say that having any of the above has never entered my mind. I'll be 40 next year. I have some wrinkles on my forehead, a neck that seems to be looking increasingly wobbly and wrinkly, and crinkles all round my eyes. But I just thought that was what happened as you got older. No-one I knew until very recently has ever had any 'work done'. Botox was something you read about in Grazia magazine.

But we've moved recently to a new area and (public) school and it seems that with the people where we live it is the norm to go for regular botox and/or fillers and/or other surgery from boob jobs to liposuction. This is discussed the same way buying a new dress would be chatted about over coffee. For the first time in my life I feel as though I am the odd woman out for just going au natural. I am starting to be swayed by their way of thinking, whereas previously I never could have imagined me having any of this stuff done.

So I'm just curious to know how many mumsnetters have either had any of these things done (if so what) and if not, would you consider it?

I sort of feel as though having stuff done is cheating, but if you're the only sucker not cheating, you end up as the loser.

SoleSource Wed 10-Oct-12 09:23:12

I do not see why peopke need to justify it either way.

No I haven't and I don't think I ever would. It worries me that there are so many celebrities out there who have had either or both treatments and look terrible. They must be able to afford to have the best/most expensive treatments available - so if they can't make it look good, I'm sure I couldn't afford to....

I don't think I've ever seen an example of it making someone look younger - just a bit freaky.

SoleSource Wed 10-Oct-12 09:33:12

I have never seen a freaky petson who has had a bit of filler. But then again zi am not jealous.

wrinklesandproud Wed 10-Oct-12 09:45:04

thanks for all the replies. I chatted about this with my DH last night. He was horrified that I'd even consider it. To me there is a difference between say getting your hair coloured and perhaps acrylic nails put on vs having your face injected with stuff. The latter just seems much more extreme to me. But perhaps that's because until recently I haven't known anyone who's had it done so it seems less common place.

I don't judge others who have it done, I just don't want to do it really - not sure why I don't. Scared perhaps. Equally I don't want to look like the wrinkliest person alive when the everyone else has smooth foreheads.

I was about to ask what Botox is made of but thought I'd just google it instead. This is what I found - have to say I'm even less keen now!

Botox is a drug made from a toxin produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. It's the same toxin that causes a life-threatening type of food poisoning called botulism. Doctors use it in small doses to treat health problems, including

Temporary removal of facial wrinkles
Severe underarm sweating
Cervical dystonia - a neurological disorder that causes severe neck and shoulder muscle contractions
Blepharospasm - uncontrollable blinking
Strabismus - misaligned eyes
Botox injections work by weakening or paralyzing certain muscles or by blocking certain nerves. The effects last about three to four months. Side effects can include pain at the injection site, flu-like symptoms, headache and upset stomach. Injections in the face may also cause temporary drooping eyelids.

grin

oops x-posted with you wrinkles - wasn't laughing at 'drooping eyelids' shock

zzzexhaustedzzz Wed 10-Oct-12 09:46:49

I have had injections to remove spider veins (legs). They worked but I was a squeeking wimp. And they eventually came back. The woman who did it said botox was MUCH worse!
I would consider but be very careful, and would have to have a lot more money to burn than I have. I don't like my eye crinkles! But I do worry that it would look odd, very odd, if I suddenly smiled without crows feet appearing. I guess this is fine lines. The clinic where I went for veins was staffed by smooth faced (and overtly made-up) women who had little crinkly areas just under the eyes! The injector woman told me that (at the time, 4 years ago) there wasn't yet a treatment to get rid of this(!) though some new thing was on the horizon...
I think this is all a bit sad really.
But each to their own.
OP I can totally understand why you would get drawn into this, women are under so much pressure in any case it takes nerves of steel just to stick with what nature gives us. I would feel the same. I would probably want to move schools!

SoleSource Wed 10-Oct-12 09:50:41

Not everybody would have smooth foreheafs OP. That statenent makes me feel you have d fashioned ideas about it and would feel left out of something. Thank god for scientists making change people can choose whether to use or not.

SoleSource Wed 10-Oct-12 09:52:38

Nerves of steel? Wow you are insecure.

PorkyandBess Wed 10-Oct-12 09:59:23

I have had Botox twice now. I love, love it.

I've had cosmetic surgery. (On the NHS as well grin)

I wouldnt have fillers yet because I don't have any need but if there was the same quick fix to zap away adult acne then i'd be on it like sonic.

If there is something about your appearance that makes you feel insecure and there is a legal way of changing it then why the hell not?? Who gives a tiny fuck what other people think?

ivanapoo Wed 10-Oct-12 10:16:01

I have a bit of a saggy face in my earlyish 30s - not sure if fillers/Botox would help but I'm put off by seeing some people who've had it done and it looks weird/ unnatural (and also dont think I care enough!) I actually think it can make people look older in some cases even though their skin is smoother.

Having said that, with a few people I know who've had only a bit of Botox it looks quite good and subtle.

zzzexhaustedzzz Wed 10-Oct-12 16:56:37

re. nerves of steel, I think you would need to have these to:
- go grey naturally and never succumb to hairdye
- not feel embarrassed about natural 'middle aged spread'
- go make-up free all the time
for starters...

I prefer to look 'good' but wish that none of it was down to the pressures women are under.
I have a Nordic friend who has nerves of steel like this. She wouldn't dream of the proceedures discussed here.

SoleSource Wed 10-Oct-12 17:00:04

I have raised my DS alobe, no family abd zero support. Going grey takes nerves of steel rathsr than raising a totally blibd, autistic child completly alone? I am weak in sone way because I feel my appearence cpuld benegit from a few fillers. Such an insult. Try my life I dare ya!

zzzexhaustedzzz Wed 10-Oct-12 17:29:45

Ur. No. Well, like I said, each to their own. AND theres a lot of us on here with hard lives.

waterlego Wed 10-Oct-12 18:59:00

Solesource, now you are being defensive!

This is AIBU and the OP asked for opinions. My opinion is that there are better things to spend money on than painful and unnecessary medical procedures. I'm not about to stop anyone else having it done, of course not, but if people ask for an opinion, then I'll give it.

If a friend was going to have it done and asked my opinion, I'd say the same thing. And I'd probably worry about why they felt they needed to conform to a young and beautiful ideal.

I like my children (especially my daughter) to know that her appearance is far less important than all the other wonderful things about her and it saddens me when I am repeatedly reminded that society sees women differently.

Dozer Wed 10-Oct-12 19:10:46

What are fillers?

My dad has v deep, craggy frown lines between eyes, and many many wrinkles on forehead (his mother is in her 80s and loves the sun, has looked like a prune for as long as can remember). As a kid I used to stretch his skin out to flatter them and tell him he should have them filled in with "stuff". Is filler for that?!

Am hoping my skin is more like mum's, she has fab skin at 60!

AngryBeaver Thu 11-Oct-12 19:40:21

Does you dad want fillers! Or do you just want him to get them??!
Yes, fillers "fill in" deep lines, like nose to mouth and marionette lines. As far as I know. The most well known is Restalyne. But I think now there are other types. Maybe, Radiesse.
I too, am dreading inheriting my mums skin! She is beautiful, but her skin is sun damaged and overly wrinkly.

AngryBeaver Thu 11-Oct-12 19:41:25

There was a post on here a while ago, search Liquid facelift,in style and beauty. The poster was thrilled with this new technique. I will search for it again when I can afford to have it done!!!

Devasmum Thu 23-May-13 21:07:22

I have had Botox twice in my frown areas and once in my crows feet. I've also had some fillers in my nose to mouth lines in the last year and haven't looked back. I'm not a vain person, I look at myself once in the mirror in the morning and then not till bedtime. However, I'm 40 now, a have a professional job and I enjoy looking good. I pay up to £70 for creams (has anyone tried ZO daily power defence- its brill), I spend good money on nice shoes/clothes. So why not spend on what you wear everyday- your face? However I only go to a qualified Dr for these procedures, I can't afford to look "weird". I'd recommend Dr Kenningham's cosmetic solutions in Wrexham- she's got a website of same name. The thing is anyone (and yes I mean ANYONE!) can legally inject fillers, however just because you can wield a syringe doesn't mean you can deal with the problems if it goes wrong! So do your homework and don't just choose the cheapest option- it wont be the cheapest if you need to see a plastic surgeon if you have to have fillers cut out or your filler got infected cause the salon wasn't (--clean--) medically sterile enough.
If you are thinking about it. Dabble with a little botox in the frown/ crowsfeet and see how you go. But only with a reputable person. One last thing- make sure they have insurance (Drs will but Beauticians dont have to!!)

notso Thu 23-May-13 21:35:13

I wouldn't. I know several people who have and you can always tell. It's so obvious and it just looks wrong to me.
I also think it's a bit of a slippery slope because even if you have the fillers and are happy with the way you look, you're not going to get younger. There is always going to be another wrinkle or jowl and before you know it you'll be Jackie Stallone.

WhiteBirdBlueSky Thu 23-May-13 21:44:13

Botox on my frown lines. It's great.

Cabrinha Thu 23-May-13 21:47:46

I struggle with the idea that looking older is the same as not looking good.

I don't wear make up, but I do dye my hair, and I pluck my eyebrows. So I do things to my appearance. But to my mind, they are things that make me look "nice" rather than "younger". I dislike the grey, not because it is a sign of aging, but because it's very patchy and course and doesn't "go" with the brown. I think that all grey hair looks fine - I personally dislike the transition.

I am 38, though I look a couple of years younger, according to others. I do not think that hair dye or eyebrow shaping make me look younger.

I dislike the idea of fillers because I think wrinkles are natural, and not unattractive. I'm not keen on the chemicals tbh, but mostly it's about thinking it's OK to look 38, when you're 38.

I just think it's a shame when people think they're no longer attractive just because they don't look 25.

In all honesty - yes, I did look nicer at 25. But - that doesn't make me Unattractive now at 38 with my wrinkles. I feel I just look - well, appropriate, I guess?

I think if I were unusually deeply lined at 25 looking 38, I'd have fillers. Maybe. But I don't see why I shouldn't look 38, at 38.

I have all the usual hang ups about wobbly stomachs - but for some reason, I just don't mind ageing.

HopALongMcLimpyLegs Thu 23-May-13 21:50:17

Do you know, I always said I never would, and that I would just age as my body intends to. But two friends of my mine have recently had 'mummy makeovers' (new boobs, tummy tuck and lipo) and they look amazing. The hip to hip scar is an issue, but no one other than DH would see it anyway, and one friend is having hers lazered to reduce it's appearance. If I had the money and was 100% sure I was done having children, I would do it.

IneedAsockamnesty Thu 23-May-13 22:02:10

About 12 years ago I had rather a lot of work done to fix my face after an injury for good measure i also had my boobs done I've also had restyllane once but that felt like lava being injected into my lips so never again.

I also choose not to bother with hair dyes or make up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now