shopping with baby

(91 Posts)
mlspbrasil Tue 09-Oct-12 19:54:19

Please tell me if I'm wrong, or if I'm over reacting. I was in the middle of my shopping at Benetton, finishing with the fitting room, I had quite a few items, which i was going to exchange, when Nicolas (my 6-month-old son) really needed a nappy change (one of those situations in which the nappy leaks). I asked the lady if I could use an empty corner to quick change him (on the push chair of course) and she said that she was going to ask the manager. Meanwhile, I touched my baby and found out that the situation was worse than i thought, so I didn't even think twice, I just changed him at the back of the changing room. It took me no longer than 3 minutes to do so, but staff members + the supervisor frowned upon me. What do they expect me to do? To simply leave the shop and change my baby in the street? Or drop all my shopping and rush to the nearest Mac Donald's? I didn't enter the shop to change my baby in the first place, it just happened. I'm a costumer, I was actually going to buy 2 coats and 2 dresses, but they don't give a damn about it, because I'm just one more person in Oxford St. I complained to the manager, but she shrugged her shoulders saying this was against the shop policy. To me this is disgraceful - no common sense, no solidarity.

Aquariusgirl86 Mon 25-Nov-13 11:06:45

Yabu to ask and then just do it anyway. If you were going to do it anyway why ask.
I work in a large shop and we would say yes, but I think it's pretty rank tbh, coming from someone that has two kids in nappies I know where you are coming from but doesn't mean it's right

Objection Mon 25-Nov-13 11:02:11

I would have asked the assistants to look after my clothes and taken baby to a bathroom.

I'm astonished that you could change a baby who was apparantly in such a pooey state in under 3 minutes, in a pram and not get everything covered in muck. I would want to wash my hands too!!!

AnnieJanuary Mon 25-Nov-13 11:00:43

Oh ffs, bloody zombie threads lately.

AnnieJanuary Mon 25-Nov-13 11:00:13

You should use a baby change room. People don't want fecal matter in their clothing changing rooms. Or the tables of cafés. Or the middle of the floor. Or wherever else you want to start scraping poo.

I can't work out how you change a baby in its buggy.

misskatamari Mon 25-Nov-13 10:56:13

Thanks Baking! Why do I foolishly not check the dates when starting to read a thread!

eofa1 Mon 25-Nov-13 10:31:55

Go to the bloody toilet, FFS.

WaitMonkey Mon 25-Nov-13 10:16:07

Oh, FFS.angry hmm

Warning:

Z

O

M

B

I

E

T

H

R

E

A

D

Not sure why, but Peppa revived it.

peppa3 Mon 25-Nov-13 08:15:12

After having my second child I have always used clothes shops as baby change and feeding area if I was desperate and a ways away from a changing station! If your desperate why not? I just go in grab something off the rail and take the baby into my nice private curtained off room for a quick change or a feed and then go out and say the item was not suitable to the staff! It has been such a stress reliever it is so hard to shop when you have young children with you. No harm done I say!

Wheresmypopcorn Wed 10-Oct-12 18:34:39

The loo in Macdonalds on Oxford Street is really inaccessible - unless there is a disabled loo you could use. PS. Kudos for taking your baby shopping on Ox street with you - I never bothered!

Wheresmypopcorn Wed 10-Oct-12 18:31:33

OP, it was nice you asked the manager. I am wondering though how others would have seen? Were you not in a cubicle by yourself? Because I think that is the only reason they would be annoyed - if their customers could see it - not the most appetizing sight. Personally I know what I'd do with a crying child. I have changed a pee nappy in the change room before, although these were each like little rooms with a lockable door, completely shut off. I assume you had a nappy bag to put the dirty stuff in? (I also assume that a crying child covered in poo stinks more that wrapping the nappy up and putting it in a baggy and zipping it away). Mamas and Papas do have nice toilet facilities. John Lewis, wouldn't bother with the whole navigation of it to be honest if I was in a blazing hurry, and a stroll past the beauty counter usually leads to impulse buying smile

Dordeydoo Wed 10-Oct-12 18:20:11

Unless I've missed something the OP didn't say it was a poo nappy just a leaky one

MistressIggi Wed 10-Oct-12 18:15:17

It is very rare for me to get any poo on my hands when changing a nappy. Wonder what the rest of you are doing wrong?

gasman Wed 10-Oct-12 18:02:31

Bennetton on oxford circus is about 5 minutes walk away from JOhn Lewis. I believe they have adequate baby changing facilities grin.

Mama's and Papa's is just over the road. Can't believe they don't have a changing room but as I have no small children don't actually know.

NellyBluth Wed 10-Oct-12 17:24:18

I love threads like this. The other week there was a similar thread about changing nappies in public and the debate ended up centering on changing a nappy on a train seat. I think the over all opinion there was that it was acceptable to change a nappy wherever and whenever. Not so here! grin And this is why I love MN.

FWIW, I think it's just rude to change a nappy where other people might have to see or smell poo. Your baby's poo is manageable to you - it is not manageable to other people! I'd always try and go somewhere appropriate to change a nappy, especially a pooey nappy. So YABU. Sorry.

GoldShip Wed 10-Oct-12 17:21:48

No worries scary, I mean they might say its true but until the relevant people see the science behind it then I think we should use it to our hearts content! because I am slightly obsessed with washing my hands followed by hand gel mmm clean

CookingFunt Wed 10-Oct-12 17:21:16

Poo smell lingers popcorn and the OP just went ahead and changed the nappy instead of waiting a minute or so for the manager.

KenLeeeeeee Wed 10-Oct-12 17:14:09

YABU to have made the rest of the customers and staff deal with smelling the contents of your baby's nappy. Would it really have been so traumatic to ask the staff to keep the items you wanted to buy to one side while you found a toilet/baby changing room to change his nappy? I would be really unimpressed as a consumer if I went to try on clothes in a room that had a lingering smell of poo about it.

And where did you wash your hands afterwards? <boak>

ScaryBOOAlot Wed 10-Oct-12 17:10:12

Just reading that is making me want to scrub at my hands!!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 10-Oct-12 17:07:35

You can't wash shit off your hands with antibacterial gel...

Wheresmypopcorn Wed 10-Oct-12 16:58:02

Eh? Don't see what's wrong with this - baby was in the pushchair after all.

ScaryBOOAlot Wed 10-Oct-12 16:49:21

Gold - thanks for that! Am seeing my supervisor tomorrow so will ask for that to be passed on.

Also means I can stop freaking out a bit more, so you've saved my anxiety, ta! grin

katese11 Wed 10-Oct-12 16:39:09

Hey OP

Haven't read the other replies but if it's the Bennetton on Oxford Circus itself, you have three options nearby- toilets on first floor of BHS, basement of Topshop or a changing room in first floor of Mamas and Papas. No obligation to buy anything in any of those. Not judging, just an FYI for next time smile

CookingFunt Wed 10-Oct-12 16:30:57

YABU and rude.

puddock Wed 10-Oct-12 16:24:48

http://www.nct.org.uk/about-nct/nct-babychange-app is v useful if you have an iphone, and there's an android version coming next month apparently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now