Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

shopping with baby

(91 Posts)
mlspbrasil Tue 09-Oct-12 19:54:19

Please tell me if I'm wrong, or if I'm over reacting. I was in the middle of my shopping at Benetton, finishing with the fitting room, I had quite a few items, which i was going to exchange, when Nicolas (my 6-month-old son) really needed a nappy change (one of those situations in which the nappy leaks). I asked the lady if I could use an empty corner to quick change him (on the push chair of course) and she said that she was going to ask the manager. Meanwhile, I touched my baby and found out that the situation was worse than i thought, so I didn't even think twice, I just changed him at the back of the changing room. It took me no longer than 3 minutes to do so, but staff members + the supervisor frowned upon me. What do they expect me to do? To simply leave the shop and change my baby in the street? Or drop all my shopping and rush to the nearest Mac Donald's? I didn't enter the shop to change my baby in the first place, it just happened. I'm a costumer, I was actually going to buy 2 coats and 2 dresses, but they don't give a damn about it, because I'm just one more person in Oxford St. I complained to the manager, but she shrugged her shoulders saying this was against the shop policy. To me this is disgraceful - no common sense, no solidarity.

bumperella Tue 09-Oct-12 20:38:48

If you just change it wherever you are, then you must just end up looking for toilets anyway, to wash your hands? Or do you just not wash your hands after changing nappy? In which case, do you wash after using the toilet yourself? Whats the difference?
Is pretty gross if someone can't be arsed finding somewhere to wash hands after because you're too busy- is a basic courtesy to others.

If you're changing DC whilst he's in the pram anyway, then if the loo you go to doesn't have change facilities then just do it when he's in the pram?

Peevish Tue 09-Oct-12 20:55:21

I'm not that surprised the staff weren't happy, but I'd have changed the nappy too, only without asking. I've changed my six-month-old in all kinds of places in emergencies, and if a business doesn't have a decent baby-changing space, I'm completely unapologetic about improvising.

Don't know about the OP, but I have hand-sanitiser wipes for after nappy-changes, if there isn't a sink.

Yika Tue 09-Oct-12 20:56:08

I use antibacterial gel to clean hands after a nappy change so don't think it's less hygienic than finding a loo. I have a change mat with me but toilets can be really gross, and I'd rather change my child in a clean environment (on the change mat of course).

Spuddybean Tue 09-Oct-12 20:57:41

if it was just wet i would do it without thinking of asking.

if it was messy poo, i would have crossed the road and gone into john lewis!

bumperella Tue 09-Oct-12 21:02:10

D'oh! I forgot about antibac gel etc, I can't use it (dodgy skin) and so just never think of it.

ThalianotFailure Tue 09-Oct-12 21:09:31

I think changing pooey nappy out in a shop is pretty grim and as every department store on Oxford Street has a baby room no excuse really, sorry. You could have asked them to hold the items you wanted to buy, whizzed off to change the baby and come back. Benetton's close to John Lewis, isn't it, huge fuck-off baby room there with a gazillion change mats to choose from.

secondseverncrossing Tue 09-Oct-12 21:09:59

"if it was messy poo, i would have crossed the road and gone into john lewis!"

Or the Mamas and Papas store...

HandMini Tue 09-Oct-12 21:10:13

You were being unreasonable. You should have gone to find a toilet / changing area and asked the Benetton staff to hold your purchases. Is really not ok to change babies in fitting rooms.

And just for info, if anyone else is ever on Oxford St and needs baby changing facilities, you're in one of the best spots in London - John Lewis, House of Fraser and Mamas and Papas, all within 2 mins of Benetion have dedicated baby change rooms.

skateboarder Tue 09-Oct-12 21:10:27

I think ywbu tbh. Nobody else needs to smell your childs faeces when they are out shopping.

Poor staff.

Maybe they should go and change a child's smelly nappy in your place of work.

Just because they work in retail doesnt mean they should have to put up with the smell of shit in their workplace.

YABU.

Depends really. My 8 mo has really bad nappy rash at the moment, bleeding etc. if she poos I'm right on it and would have changed it there and then. Ordinarily I would have waited 5 mins and found somewhere better. But either way, meh, wouldn't be bothered.

WildWorld2004 Tue 09-Oct-12 21:20:03

I dont see what the problem was. You go into a changing cubicle, shut the curtain/door & change your baby. No one will see it or know what is happening. When u are finished u put the nappy in a bag, wash ur hands with a wipe or handwash/gel & off u go.

ScaryBOOAlot Tue 09-Oct-12 21:23:45

You do all know that anti bac gel only works maximum of five times a day, and really isn't the same as using soap and water?

I always have some in my bag, but its not the best option, especially not after changing a dirty nappy!

Sirzy Tue 09-Oct-12 21:25:05

I agree with the majority. You find a proper changing facility to do it not just whip the nappy off wherever you are.

MrsKeithRichards Tue 09-Oct-12 21:30:06

My rule of thumb is I don't change a nappy where I wouldn't take a shit.

Or the back of my car.

MrsKeithRichards Tue 09-Oct-12 21:31:38

Although a friend used to work in a clothes shop and found a shit in a changing room once.

MistressIggi Tue 09-Oct-12 21:32:07

I don't get people saying the staff shouldn't have to deal with the smell of poo. Most people know their baby has pooed because of the smell of poo, you don't have to change the nappy to smell the poo!

GoldShip Tue 09-Oct-12 21:33:22

You do all know that anti bac gel only works maximum of five times a day

where on earth have you got that from?

Sirzy Tue 09-Oct-12 21:33:38

But opening the nappy very much releases the smell making it worse!

ThePetiteMummy Tue 09-Oct-12 21:35:39

I think it's very selfish to just change a baby in a shop, nobody wants the whiff of a dirty nappy while they're shopping! As for your shopping, well, you just either put it back or ask the staff to keep it for you. And as for anti bac gel being sufficient, it doesn't magic away poo on your hands! I can't really believe you've started a thread about this. It just seems obvious, you go to an appropriate changing place, then carry on.

ScaryBOOAlot Tue 09-Oct-12 21:35:41

When I did my health and safety training for volunteering with the NHS, Goldship.

GoldShip Tue 09-Oct-12 21:37:28

I've also done that training, along with other Infection Control and Health and Safety courses and that has never been said to me

It doesnt even make sense!

fedupofnamechanging Tue 09-Oct-12 21:40:41

I can't see the problem with this. If I was a customer and saw someone quickly changing their baby's nappy, I wouldn't give it any thought at all. It's not like you were asking the staff to change the nappy or dispose of it for you.

It seems daft to me to leave the shop and then have to come back - there are always queues at the baby rooms, so it seems better to me to change the baby's nappy asap, rather than leave him in a dirty nappy for longer than necessary.

fedupofnamechanging Tue 09-Oct-12 21:41:29

Presumably OP had wipes as well as anti bac gel.

ThePetiteMummy Tue 09-Oct-12 21:43:09

I disagree, the op was minutes away from John Lewis, and the changing rooms there are huge, I've never queued. And an open nappy full of poo would smell considerably more than one on the baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now