Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think the RSPCA are losing it?

(88 Posts)
SundaeGirl Tue 09-Oct-12 19:22:49

They've prosecuted a woman for feeding paracetamol to her cat after it broke its leg www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/9974603._I_can_t_believe_RSPCA_prosecuted_me_for_killing_my_cat_/?ref=rl Poor woman, her and her sister rang them for advice and now she has a criminal record.

Misguidedly trying to help your pets surely, surely can't count as cruelty?

I dunno.
They're rather useful if you want to harrass your neighbour.
Simply make repeated malicious calls so they have to keep attending.

It's a larf init.

(nb I've been on the receiving end, not the making calls end of this)

Leena49 Wed 10-Oct-12 06:51:48

I'm not clear about their role. A neighbour in our street rand them about a neglected cat. They came out to find our other neighbours 18 year old cat happily laying in the sun looking old and scrawny but 18 years old! We said to neighbour why didn't you just speak to the other neighbour! They came out straight away for that but don't for more serious stuff!

I just think that if someone tried to worm their kid with drontal and he ended up in hospital, or she had tried to treat her babies broken leg with an elastoplast and half a paracetamol ground up in his milk then everyone would be in agreement that she deserved it. But cos its a cat everyone's all " oh it's an overreaction" . She could have got treatment but chose not to and has ordasity to play the victim.

SundaeGirl Wed 10-Oct-12 07:09:06

Of course it's very different that it's a cat not a child.

Child or pet we have a duty to look after and seek treatment if either r sick. A phone call costs nothing and she was offered treatment that would have cost her nothing. There r services available 24/7 just like with people. It's not hard to get some advice at very least.

She's been using it for years!! In other words she's actively been refusing treatment for sick animals for years.

Plus if someone broke into your shed and stole a lawn mower mOst people would want that person arrested which would result I them getting a criminal record. God shops would prosecute over a loaf of bread being shop lifted. No one hurt no one died no harm done but u would still want that person caught. So if an inanimate object required prosecution then that insinuates that objects are more important than an animal
That's alive and feels pain! A cat died through neglect. That warrants a prosecution IMO

mrsminerva Wed 10-Oct-12 16:22:45

wheresmycaffeine cats die all the time, I think your a tad over the top. My cat is very old and I intend to let nature takes its course with her when the time comes unless she's in pain. She hates going to the vets. I suppose you would have me prosecuted too. I think its the same as a DNR on a human TBH.

But a broken leg isn't fatal hmm this cat was perfectly treatable it had nothing to do with nature taking its course.

And there's a big difference between a cat reaching the end of their natural life or loosing a fight with an
Illness and not treating injuries. Those who choose not to treat a debilitating illness will still choose to administer proper prescribed pain relief. If they don't then yes I agree they should be in trouble too. As even though the illness is not their fault they still have a choice about stopping or managing the pain. Allowing an animal to die a long painful death not attempting to help is also worth prosecution IMO.

bubalou Wed 10-Oct-12 16:36:31

What a great waste of time when my parents neighbours have been warned literally hundreds of times for over breeding and poorly treating this poor staffy they own and they still get to keep it!

Their house is a crack den - the woman has had her 3 children taken away by SS but is still allowed to keep this dog and i think they have another 1 now.

Last time I saw the poor thing her tummy was red raw and bleeding from the puppies and she was so underweight and had chunks of fur missing.

sad

Paiviaso Wed 10-Oct-12 16:47:01

I can see why the RSPCA would prosecute this woman - if you own an animal, it is your responsibility to take care of it and be knowledgeable enough to do so. If you are feeding your cat substances that are toxic to it, you are not a fit cat owner.

I agree with MrsDeVere that people don't really understand what the RSPCA is meant to be for. I see it on forums all the time - someone posts about slightly less than ideal conditions an animal lives in, and an instant chorus of "Call the RSPCA!" appears. The RSPCA must have so much of their time wasted by people reporting things the RSPCA has no jurisdiction to do anything about. And then these people turn around and blast the RSPCA because, "they didn't care about the animal at all."

Perhaps there are instances in which the RSPCA really should have shaped up and acted better, but I think a lot of the flack is unfair.

mollymole Wed 10-Oct-12 17:00:04

The woman knowingly and intentionally with eld the correct medical/vetinarian treatment from her animal. She knowingly gave it human adult medication. She is not fit to have an animal of any description. You know when you have an animal that you may require funds to pay for vets bills.

Narked Wed 10-Oct-12 17:01:55

I've seen cats on tv with paracetamol poisoning it's horrific sad that cat would have suffered. Again proving she with held treatment

What the gel is up with my smiley? Damn phone that was meant to be sad

It's done it again mOst odd ( sad face!!!! )

ZuzuandZara Wed 10-Oct-12 17:08:30

mrsminerva it's unfair to let 'nature take its course'. Your cat will undoubtedly be suffering towards her final days, whether you know she is in pain or not is debatable. If she hates going to the vet, call the vet to you.

Paivaiso well said.

MrsDeVere Wed 10-Oct-12 17:36:07

I have had a lot of animals in my 45 years. I have never been able to let any of them die 'naturally'

As I said before I am not one to rush to the vets for the least reason but its very unusual to just come down one day and find your pet has died in their sleep.

I think its a very important responsibility to have your pet PTS when the time has come.

one of the things i hated most when working as a nurse was the animals that were kept going because 'we love them so much'

JamieandtheMagicTorch Wed 10-Oct-12 17:41:28

I'm pretty sure this article doesn't tell the whole story.

It always amazes me how people think they r saving money by not taking them
Or getting the animal treated. A broken leg treated straight away could just needs splint and a bandage and a shot of a pain killer. If u leave it it could heal funny and need surgery to fix or even cut of circulation to the leg if it pushes on artery. The difference in cost is immense. Always pays to treat straight away!!!!

MrsDeVere Wed 10-Oct-12 18:31:59

well no.
If your pet has landed a bit funny and is limping a bit.
A trip to the vets for anti inflams and a vit B shot will leave short £70.

Rest overnight costs nothing.

If a pet has a broken leg you take it to the vet because you cannot treat it yourself.
You can treat a sprain yourself.

But u don't know it's a sprain unless they X-ray hmm or a vet can have a feel.

And the anti inflammatory shots the same price whether u go that day or the next. Y risk further injury

MrsDeVere Wed 10-Oct-12 18:49:45

Do you take your kids to the hospital every time they limp?

I don't. I haven't missed a broken bone in a DC or a pet yet.

If the animal is still limping after rest and continues to be unable to weight bear, is in pain, showing signs of distress that is one thing.

Having a limp is another.

Feel free to shell out unnecessarily. I will continue to behave in a sensible manner

MrsDeVere Wed 10-Oct-12 18:51:38

And anti inflammatory shots are not always necessary. They will do no harm though and a vet has them so will give them.

Giving pain killers can risk further injury. It encourages an animal to use a limb that it would otherwise rest.

It is silly to rush to the vet with every tiny injury. You risk stressing your animal more than helping it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now