To not know what to say?

(85 Posts)
MummyPig24 Tue 09-Oct-12 16:57:09

Moved house a few weeks ago and this morning saw the girl next door. Asked her to come over after school with her kids. They never turned up, I thought they might have been held up at school. After about 45mins I went up stairs. and saw her kids in the garden so I popped round and knocked but no answer. I know I'm being a bit socially retarded here but what do I say next time I see her? Do I knock and say something like "I think we got our wires crossed, I was expecting you, maybe we can arrange another time". Or do I just wait till we bump into each other again and mention it?

HecateLarpo Tue 09-Oct-12 19:29:59

Perhaps she didn't want to come but felt too shy to say. How did the conversation go? did you just ask if she wanted to, or put it more like Come Over?

fanjoforthemammaries Tue 09-Oct-12 19:31:41

I would just leave it and wait to see what she says when you next see her..if she doesn't say anything just don't ask.again and leave ball in her court

MummyPig24 Tue 09-Oct-12 19:35:04

Yes we have lost the point! Thanks for all the replies, like many have suggested, I will just say hello when I next see her and leave it up to her. As for the use of the words "girl" and "kids", come on! I said girl because she is my age or a bit younger (early twenties) and that's the word I choose over woman with regards to myself. Strangely enough I haven't asked her which she prefers but will in future refer to all grown females as women, so I don't cause offence. Kids is a commonly used word, imo not offensive, my grandma has a go if I use it but sometimes I choose to.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Tue 09-Oct-12 19:40:11

Mummy - I was joking. Next time I will grin as you do not know me and may have mistaken me for a wally grin

MummyPig24 Tue 09-Oct-12 19:50:17

Sorry Jamie. You cant sat anything here without being jumped on eh?! Anyway I'm off to stuff my face with fajitas cos I'm a fat cow. Sorry for any offence! wink

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Tue 09-Oct-12 20:02:43

No Jamie, not referring to you. smile I thought perhaps someone had got your goat, but maybe not...

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Tue 09-Oct-12 20:05:52

MummyPig, do you think she thought you said, 'You'll have to come over with the kids after school,' and thought you meant sometime, not necessarily today. So she said, 'Yes that would be nice, sometime. '

<<stands behind madmouse>>

It is absolutely offensive. Yes, there are some very limited uses of the word, that are fine, in science for instance, but for the most part, it's offensive.

MummyPig24 Tue 09-Oct-12 20:12:28

Something like that Ellen. I'm sure one or the other of us got the wrong end of the stuck.

HollaAtMeBaby Tue 09-Oct-12 22:10:34

God, some people just LOVE to take offence... OP, I would be breezy with your neighbour and not bring up the no-show unless she does. And enjoy your fajitas fatty grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now