AIBU to enter the London Marathon when DH doesn't want me to?

(84 Posts)
Loueytb3 Tue 09-Oct-12 16:20:00

I'm turning 40 next April and for some insane reason, I thought it would be a good idea to do the London Marathon which is shortly before my birthday. I love running, but have never done anything longer than 10 miles.

DH is adamant I shouldn't do it. He thinks the training will be too much and it is selfish to even consider it (I think he also thinks I'm going to drop dead during the race?)

So, WIBU to enter anyway? I think I would only seriously have to start training after Christmas, so 4 months or so of solid training. From what I can tell (please someone correct me if I'm wrong), its mostly going to impact at the weekend as I will need to do one longer run a week and realistically this is going to have to be at the weekend. The other runs I should be able to fit in during the day around work.

(I haven't got a place btw, but would try and get a charity place if possible.)

Loueytb3 Thu 11-Oct-12 14:54:13

Shit - I got a place!!!!!

I'd better tell DH now grin

madwomanintheattic Thu 11-Oct-12 15:21:46

Wooooooo! <happy dance>

Have a great time, training and all. It was brilliant fun when I did it. Dh and the kids were more knackered than I was as they spent the whole day racing from point to point trying to time where I would be!

Have fun!

BelieveInPink Thu 11-Oct-12 15:48:14

Well done! Go for it, you will be massively proud of yourself and so will DH

Out of interest, which charity is it and how much do you have to raise?

Mrskbpw Thu 11-Oct-12 16:00:47

Brilliant brilliant brilliant. I have run the London Marathon and it was amazing. I only started running in the September before and could only run for 3 minutes then.

I've only ever done that marathon but my husband runs - he's doing London (again) next year. It is hard being the one who has to pick up the slack on childcare (and I feel it as well because he does his long run on a Sunday - because he goes to football on Saturdays!) but I'm sure with a bit of jiggling you can work it out.

He does a lot of midweek runs at lunchtime so he's not out every evening and he does make an effort not to be grumpy bugger after his long runs. Actually it's only near the end that it gets really hard.

Lots and lots of luck - you'll love it!

Loueytb3 Thu 11-Oct-12 16:01:40

Thank you grin

It's the miscarriage association and I have to raise £1500. I had a mc a few years ago so can add my personal story to hopefully guilt some stingy men poor souls into parting with their money. I still struggle with it now, even though I've had DS3 since. I'm hoping it will be cathartic to run for them.

madwomanintheattic Thu 11-Oct-12 16:24:25

I ran for cancer research after my bf's mum died of bowel cancer. She was essentially my second mum. I definitely found it gave me some sort of closure.

Remember to write your name huge on your shirt. I forgot, and so everyone was calling me by the name of the company that had sponsored me and given me the shirt! It was faintly surreal!

aroomofherown Thu 11-Oct-12 17:27:08

Woop! Congratulations! You will absolutely love it.

I always get very emotional when I see the personal stories etc on people's shirts. Amazing amazing experience.

ScarlettCrossbones Thu 11-Oct-12 18:16:01

Oh Gawd, you're starting to make little ideas flutter round my mind too ... next year's Edinburgh Marathon is the week before I turn 40 ... I normally only run 10ks and have always been adamant I wasn't interested in half-marathons or marathons because of all the training ... but maybe just once ... see what you've done now, OP!! wink

Loueytb3 Thu 11-Oct-12 22:20:44

Scarlett - that sounds like me until very recently!! I only really changed my mind after this years marathon. It must be something about turning 40. I have it all planned, run the marathon and then 6 days later celebrate my 40th in style and no doubt have a horrific hangover Go for it!!!

Madwoman - good idea about the name. I will remember that.

Loueytb3 Mon 22-Apr-13 17:06:44

I thought I would just update this post. Yesterday, I ran the London Marathon in 4hrs 43mins. It was bloody hard but I ran the whole way - the crowd kept me going in the end. Having my name on my shirt really helped when people yelled at me to keep going even though I felt like stopping.

So far I've raised £2300 for the Miscarriage Association and with work matching £500 of it, it should be at least £2800. So thank you for your posts encouraging me to enter!

Feeling rather sore today but now thinking of what race to do next...grin

Jinty64 Mon 22-Apr-13 17:09:48

Congratulations on your fantastic achievement. Enjoy your birthday!

catsmother Mon 22-Apr-13 17:10:45

That's brilliant. How was your DH about it in the end ? I hope he supported you and congratulated you afterwards.

complexnumber Mon 22-Apr-13 17:14:04

Congratulations, that is a heck of an achievment.

Did your DH give you support once he realised you were serious?

WhitesandsofLuskentyre Mon 22-Apr-13 17:15:30

Well done, that's a great time! I hear Brighton is a fab marathon to run, but as we head into summer there will be quite a few 10Ks around, and that is a lovely distance to run, to keep your legs moving.

LegoAcupuncture Mon 22-Apr-13 17:15:56

Well done!

mercibucket Mon 22-Apr-13 17:23:39

Awwww lovely well done smile

Trazzletoes Mon 22-Apr-13 17:25:52

Well done x

LazyMonkeyButler Mon 22-Apr-13 17:40:55

Well done! That's a huge achievement, you must feel really pleased with yourself for raising all that money grin.

Good for you!

LayMizzRarb Mon 22-Apr-13 17:41:50

Congratulations! Have a fantastic Birthday - hope you are proud of yourself !

FryingNemo Mon 22-Apr-13 17:44:10

Well done you! So impressed.

McNewPants2013 Mon 22-Apr-13 17:50:42

Well done. I would sign up to just giving website.

Is your DH supportive of your dreams normally, what if you decided to do night school or train for a new career ect.

Fuzzysnout Mon 22-Apr-13 17:51:16

Really well done - that's fantastic!

McNewPants2013 Mon 22-Apr-13 17:52:50

Ignore my last post.

Well done for following your dream and completing the marathon smile and what SN amazing amount of money to have raise flowers

BerryLellow Mon 22-Apr-13 18:06:56

Well done you! smile

ChaoticTranquility Mon 22-Apr-13 19:22:18

Well done smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now