Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To wonder why people put "r"s where they don't belong?

(266 Posts)
somebloke123 Tue 09-Oct-12 11:32:52

A trivial matter in the grand scheme of things of course but:

I first noticed this as a school boy "oop north" when a teacher from down south joined the staff and caused great hilarity by saying "drawrings" instead of "drawings".

It seems to be a southern phenomenon but not at all a type of chavspeak. Some of the worst offenders are media types who speak middle class "received" or "BBC" English.

It amounts to an inability to pronounce two successive vowel sounds without putting an "r" between.

A few examples I have heard in the radio, mainly over the past week or so:

West Brom managed a one-all drawragainst Aston Villa.

Planning the withdrawral from Afghanistan.

Chris Grayling is seeking a change in the lawron reasonable force against burglars.

The police are trying to restore Laura Norder.

And on Radio 4's "Poetry Please" in an otherwise moving reading of Oscar Wilde's "Ballad of Reading Jail":

"But I never sawraman who looked
So wistfully at the day.
I never sawraman who looked
With such a wistful eye."

Grrrrrrrrr!

MyLastDuchess Tue 09-Oct-12 11:35:08

It's called a 'bridging r'; it's not incorrect.

MaBaya Tue 09-Oct-12 11:37:18

Londoner and I do this. Its just a regional quirk. It could be worse. We could all be Brummies <runs from thread>

MIL keeps writing 'carnt' for 'can't' on FB.

Stupid sow.

grin at Laura Norder.

imnotmymum Tue 09-Oct-12 11:39:54

I say this. Am from the Midlands originally and it is much more comfortable to say than pausing draw-ing. That feels odd. Really have not noticed this though tbh

Lakota Tue 09-Oct-12 11:40:51

I have a feeling I do this. It's just how it comes out... I can pronounce the sounds separately if I try.

somebloke123 Tue 09-Oct-12 11:47:00

Of course one has to accept that there are such things as regional variations and it's not really a matter of correct or incorrect.

I guess since I never came across it until late childhood it has always struck me as a bit otiose.

imnotmymum Tue 09-Oct-12 11:52:11

But it is useful imo to make words flow when conversing

HyvaPaiva Tue 09-Oct-12 11:53:08

How about 'brought' when the speaker means 'bought'? Is it regional or a bridging 'r'? It drives me to distraction!

DeWe Tue 09-Oct-12 11:54:46

Hyva a mistake grin

imnotmymum Tue 09-Oct-12 11:56:12

Hyva that is just not speaking proper grin

AreAllMenTheSame2 Tue 09-Oct-12 12:03:22

I think i do the "sawrawoman" lol and my dp allways saying "drownding" or "drownded" drives me mad!!

People who pronounce Bath as Barth rather than BAth get my goat too.

AreAllMenTheSame2 Tue 09-Oct-12 12:06:01

Oops... My dp is always saying

Vagndidit Tue 09-Oct-12 12:06:19

Perrrr-zhoh Peugeot.

Euphemia Tue 09-Oct-12 12:08:37

It's just a way of avoiding two vowels running together, like the "t" in French in "Y a-t-il un chat?"

impty Tue 09-Oct-12 12:17:30

As a northerner married to a southerner I am constantly corrected by PIL and told to speak properly. It drives me insane. Especially as PIL have fairly strong accents which is a million miles from RP, and I have a fairly unregional accent having moved around a lot.

What's more I can spell and use grammar correctly (mostly) which is something they've yet to master.... Phew rant over!

<<goes to lie down>>

TooMuchRain Tue 09-Oct-12 12:17:47

There's a wikipedia article on it if you want to know more

Wetthemogwai Tue 09-Oct-12 12:23:48

In Liverpool they replace all the Rs with Ls but as midlander I too do the 'sawraman' and 'drawrings'. I sound very odd if I don't!

Psammead Tue 09-Oct-12 12:24:10

Drawrings and withdrawral are plain wrong, as it brought instead of bought. The rest is good old fashioned linking r, or intrusive r. It just makes things flow more reasily. grin

Wetthemogwai Tue 09-Oct-12 12:24:26

So yes, yabu and you talk strange :D

Psammead Tue 09-Oct-12 12:25:28

Sorry, I shouldn't have called them wrong - but they are not standard english.

SnowWide Tue 09-Oct-12 12:30:13

Oh yes, these superfluous 'r's set my teeth on edge every time. The first few tines I heard someone use it, I yelled at the TV. Hubby very confused, because those 'r's never registered in his hearing...thought I was making it up.

BreconBeBuggered Tue 09-Oct-12 12:30:45

My parents were exiled Scots and I wasn't allowed to adopt the local intrusive 'r', so it makes me wince a little bit, not when it sounds like a natural component of a regional accent, but when people are very well-spoken. Clear, authoratitive tones, undermined in seconds by a little drawring.

Wetthemogwai Tue 09-Oct-12 12:31:23

X posts psam sorry that wasn't aimed at you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now