To think that somebody should have have helped?

(51 Posts)
harbingerofdoom Mon 08-Oct-12 21:54:34

My DF (87) stumbled getting on a bus. The step was very high and not one of the modern ones. He has a walking stick,he also has 'big' shades as he has lost one eye and the other may be vunerable. He has fallen and he is hurt and nobody helped. The driver saw-didn't get out of seat.

Bluestocking Mon 08-Oct-12 21:56:43

Of course someone should have helped. I'm really sorry to hear about this. How is he now?

AgentZigzag Mon 08-Oct-12 21:56:44

It's possible they didn't know he'd done so much harm to himself, but they could have asked whether he was alright.

How is he now?

YoloOrTwice Mon 08-Oct-12 21:58:30

That is horrid! WTF!!! Is he ok now?

Really gobsmacked that nobody helped! Disgusted!!!!

harbingerofdoom Mon 08-Oct-12 22:00:10

Not one passenger asked.

xkittyx Mon 08-Oct-12 22:01:10

I'm so sorry to hear that. How disgraceful that no-one helped.

WelshMaenad Mon 08-Oct-12 22:02:00

People can be horrifyingly callous. I witnessed an elderly last fall outside the bank once, and sat on the pavement with her wrapped in my coat till the ambulance arrived.

I'm sorry nobody helped your dad. I would have, if I had been there.

gordyslovesheep Mon 08-Oct-12 22:02:30

Oh how horrible sad yes somebody should have helped ...how is he?

SoleSource Mon 08-Oct-12 22:02:33

sad selfish badtards

Big kiss for him X

Dominodonkey Mon 08-Oct-12 22:05:22

YANBU. Was it in a city? I fell once up the steps at Westminster station, not hurt but no-one checked I was ok and it made me feel really sad.

However, an elderly lady fell over in the high street near me (London suburbs) last year and about 20 of us rushed to help her. There was an amazing mix of ages, races and walks of life all wanting to do their bit.

So not everyone is uncaring and selfish.

Hope your df is ok now.

harbingerofdoom Mon 08-Oct-12 22:06:12

I'm just so upset because he spent his whole life helping/teaching.
He's got some nasty grazeing/ bruising.

gordyslovesheep Mon 08-Oct-12 22:07:17

poor poor man x

Bluestocking Mon 08-Oct-12 22:08:26

Hugs to you and him and best wishes for a swift and total recovery. I would definitely have jumped up and helped, and I'm training my DS to be alert to people in need too. That's all we can do - our own little bit, and what we can do to influence the younger generation.

harbingerofdoom Mon 08-Oct-12 22:11:28

Unfortunately he has very bad osteoporosis (rare in men but because of no sun in his youth,smog) Let's hope there is no more damage.

McHappyPants2012 Mon 08-Oct-12 22:12:58

Awwww bless I would of helped

Coprolite Mon 08-Oct-12 22:13:27

What is wrong with some people?

Is it that they genuinely don't care? Because I really can't understand how people get to be like that.

Poor man.

whois Mon 08-Oct-12 22:15:56

That's bad. Someome should have helped :-(

I don't think the bus divers are meant to get out tho?

For a mee positive spin on human nature I came off t bike a few weeks ago and had three men come sprinting over to see if I was ok. If you want make attention I can recommend a dramatic over-the-handle bars fall.

harbingerofdoom Mon 08-Oct-12 22:25:20

No, the drivers can't get out. He saw and looked worried.

But not one,not one.......

Woozley Mon 08-Oct-12 22:31:44

Other passengers probably couldn't see or were not watching. I know I wouldn't look up at every but stop to see who was getting on or if someone needed help.

Also I've asked elderly gents before if they need help or would like to sit, some get really offended. I'd just watch first and see if they were ok (that's if I was paying any attention at all) but in your DF's case he probably would have already fallen by then sad

GhostofMammaTJ Mon 08-Oct-12 22:33:22

I would have helped!! Anyone there should have helped!!

Jinsei Mon 08-Oct-12 22:35:09

I'm so sorry OP.sad How is he now?

GhostofMammaTJ Mon 08-Oct-12 22:36:51

How is he now?

Haemadoots Mon 08-Oct-12 22:37:04

sad I would have helped, I remember walking through a shopping mall with my then bf now ex, elderly lady fell and he bloody walked over her I was shock I helped her up

Icelollycraving Mon 08-Oct-12 22:38:45

So so sorry to hear that. Really hope he feels much better soon thanks

harbingerofdoom Mon 08-Oct-12 22:41:49

Oh,well what's done is done,you just can't undo it in his mind that nobody cares for the old. He sounds very despondent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now