to throw myself to the nest of vipers for a serious telling off

(65 Posts)
howtobeamermaid Sun 07-Oct-12 23:50:28

I need one. I can't believe what I've just done. I feel sick.

Have stinking cold and was feeding baby DS (7 months). Put him down in cot and went downstairs. All quiet on monitor. Up to check 10 mins later and he's studiously chewing on one of my tissues I've somehow put down in cot with him. Shreds of it everywhere. Pick up, there's a 50p sized wodge of it on the roof of his mouth.

Mind is whirring with what-ifs now. Jesus Christ, I feel like the shittest mother ever.

Ugh. DH said he was fine, no point thinking of what if. Just be more careful in future. No that'not enough. Need a good flogging.

Floggingmolly Mon 08-Oct-12 14:20:25

Oh, and by the way, they've all rolled off the bed at some time or another during their first year. All of my three, and everyone else i've ever spoken to has had it happen too. They've all survived!

peachypips Mon 08-Oct-12 14:22:55

For the first two years with my first particularly I used to obsess about all the dreadful things that could happen to him. All manner of awful pictures used to run through my head. I still sometimes do it but not anywhere near as much! Try and relax- that will be better for everyone in the long run. When my youngest was 4 weeks old my OH dropped him at the top of the stairs. He bounced twice and then hit the concrete. He had a skull fracture and a brain bleed. He's fine now! We just felt like the wordt parents- but it was a mistake, just like you. There are so many things that could happen I'm amazed more don't.
Bless you- stop worrying and start enjoying!!!!

peachypips Mon 08-Oct-12 14:35:43

Oh and nothing wrong with eating a tissue! No more likely to choke on that at 7 months than finger food. They have a great gag reflex at that age. When DS was one he ate a tea bag from the bin!!

Convert Mon 08-Oct-12 18:43:27

Floggingmolly I thought I'd got away with that one with DC3 and was feeling all smug until I left her with my Mom while I went on a driving lesson and she let her fall off the bed grin

Mistakes happen. There have been many times I've done some daft things but DD is still fine.
She fell off the bed when she was fairly small; I've left the stairgate open and she wandered onto the landing; she picked up a cat claw from the carpet and tried to eat it...
Each time I was there and able to intervene immediately so no damage done.
Doesn't stop me beating myself up over it though, so I fully understand.

SoupInaBasket Mon 08-Oct-12 18:47:28

My mum left a cup of hpt fresh tea at toddler level and my brother tipped it all over himself.
24 years on she still thinks about it!
My brother is absolutely fine and I'd say a brilliant bloke.
And you'd never know he got burnt!
X

shuffleballchange Mon 08-Oct-12 20:06:35

You most certainly aren't a rubbish mum. I'll just give you two examples of my crappy parenting (there are plenty more) When DS1 was about a year, I had smothered him in his diprobase cream, he wad so slippery he somehow managed to shoot over my shoulder and hit the floor headfirst, luckily I was kneeling, not standing. Last week DS2 had two bumps to the head, two fat lips, a bruised cheek and split ear which had to be glued, god that sounds awful now reading that back, all separate incidents whilst in my care. Both fell off the bed in their first year and both have fallen down the stairs. They are two of the happiest, healthy boys you could wish to meet and are the centre of my world. These things happen.

Neednewjeans Mon 08-Oct-12 21:22:51

An accident! Just breathe and move on.

Neednewjeans Mon 08-Oct-12 21:23:42

Oh and you sound like a fantastic mum. Most would have just thought 'phew' and promptly forgotten about it.

missorinoco Mon 08-Oct-12 21:30:47

You have just reminded me of when DC1 was dropping his nap, and was playing quietly in his room (there was the obvious mistake). When I went to get him up he'd got the Sudacrem from on top of the chest of drawers and eaten it.

It was a tissue. It fell out of your sleeve/pocket. Hope you are feelng better now.

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Mon 08-Oct-12 21:48:31

These make me feel like an ace parent grin

When my DS was tiny my DH picked him up during the night when he was crying and 'temporarily' put him in the laundry basket while he went for a wee. He forgot about him and went to bed. I woke up to the sound of a tiny muffled cry from the bottom of a lie of dirty washing.

No harm done but I still remind and take the piss out of DH about it now.

howtobeamermaid Mon 08-Oct-12 23:19:48

Accidental haha! that's brilliant. And missorinoco DS is always trying to get his chops into the sudocrem too! I'm feeling better, thanks all, a good day today, only managed to let DS faceplant on the coffee table once

HappyJustToBe Tue 09-Oct-12 08:38:45

Not your finest moment but if that is the lowest point in your child rearing then you're a fantastic mother. This is what I tell myself every time DD manages to find the sudocrem and get a mouthful before I notice - not ideal but if that's the worse I do then I'll take that.

I think eating sudocrem is a rite of passage for every baby/toddler, not an accident? grin

Accidental, your post made me laugh grin

Wheresmypopcorn Thu 11-Oct-12 04:10:49

Illagevidiot - that's just beautiful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now