To think that long hair on young boys.......

(324 Posts)
Haahoostory Sun 07-Oct-12 10:57:37

Is unfair on the child. It dangles in their face and gets in their way and must be really annoying for them. With girls you can clip it back or tie it up in pretty styles so no problem at all. It is the parents imposing their tastes and choices on the child - rather like when toddlers have pierced ears. Older boys with long hair absolutely fine - as they have chosen to wear it that way, but toddlers and younger boys no.

MadgeHarvey Sun 07-Oct-12 10:58:13

Good luck with this one OP!

WorraLiberty Sun 07-Oct-12 10:58:54

Bacon sarnie anyone?

SeveredEdMcDunnough Sun 07-Oct-12 10:58:58

Some young boys choose to have long hair and get upset if you try to have it cut.

And some have it tied back.

It is nothing like piercing a child's ears against their will/without their consent.

usualsuspect3 Sun 07-Oct-12 10:59:28

Kettles on.

usualsuspect3 Sun 07-Oct-12 11:00:00

oh and YABU.

SeveredEdMcDunnough Sun 07-Oct-12 11:00:28

Have you GOT any children OP?

If you have you will know how much influence they are able to have over their hair style at a very young age.

If you haven't then you won't understand that.

GhostofMammaTJ Sun 07-Oct-12 11:00:41

Oh, yes please Worra. Do you have ketchup too?

YABU

SeveredEdMcDunnough Sun 07-Oct-12 11:01:37

Btw mine both have fairly short hair and it does not get in their eyes. I noticed when it did and offered to cut it - ds1 took some persuading but likes it Ok now.

They are 9 and 5 now.

No way would I impose something that made them uncomfortable.

WorraLiberty Sun 07-Oct-12 11:02:19

<< Fiddles in bag >>

I have a few Burger King sachets Ghost blush

YABU. My son has Autism, ADHD and sensory processing disorder. His hair is his comfort mechanism that he uses to self soothe and hide behind when the world all gets too much to deal with. Yet he faces bigotry like the OP.

UnChartered Sun 07-Oct-12 11:02:44

ace!

WorraLiberty Sun 07-Oct-12 11:03:27

Anyway back to the OP...

Don't we all 'impose' our tastes and choices on our babies/young children to some degree?

AitchDee Sun 07-Oct-12 11:04:11

Not sure about your reasonings OP, but personally I dislike long hair on boys just because I think they look ridiculous.

MadCap Sun 07-Oct-12 11:04:17

Yabu All parents impose their tastes on their children until they're old enough to have an opinion. Faulty logic there I'm afraid. My ds (22 mo) has longish really curly blonde hair. They way it curls means it isn't in his eye, plus he looks like a proper little cherub. grin

SeveredEdMcDunnough Sun 07-Oct-12 11:05:03

Really Aitch? Every time?

(is that you, or someone else btw?)

UnChartered Sun 07-Oct-12 11:05:06

Not saying 'ace' at you glitter.

T'was at OP

Haahoostory Sun 07-Oct-12 11:06:30

Yes I have 2 boys. Ds1 is 2 1/2. Ds2 is 6 months. If I left ds1s hair to grow long, it would massively interfere with his playing and get in his way.

GhostofMammaTJ Sun 07-Oct-12 11:06:49

Ha ha, I have those in my handbag too Worra. I also have McDs sweet chilli sauce, not suitable for bacon butties but very yummy all the same.

Proudnscary Sun 07-Oct-12 11:07:19

YABU

Unashamedly love long hair on boys

It's hardly child cruelty

GoSakuramachi Sun 07-Oct-12 11:07:32

But it doesn't intefere with girls playing?

Nonsense, I've known lots of boys with longer hair, it doesn't stop them doing anything.

CouthyMowWearingOrange Sun 07-Oct-12 11:07:54

Try telling that to my 20mo DS3. He literally takes MY long hair and lays it over his head and says "mine want long hair".

Unfortunately I am currently refusing to buy my toddler a syrup, and his hair is stubbornly refusing to grow as quickly or as long as he himself would like it.

He has gorgeous red-gold hair, and is most obviously expressing a preference to have it longer.

DS1 has one of those stupid Justin Bieber haircuts, and in fact has preferred longer hair for as long as I can remember.

DS2 has quite close cropped hair, again because that's how HE has always preferred it.

DS3 I can imagine is going to want long straggly surfer type hair, from what I can see - even to the extent that he points out styles he likes on other DC's and tells me "my want mine hair long".

Each to their own, all 3 of my DS's have had very strong opinions on their hair from toddler age, and it's their head, not mine.

<<Shrug>>

DD on the other hand, couldn't have given a shiny shit what her hair was like until she turned 14 years old!

LadyBeagleEyes Sun 07-Oct-12 11:08:11

The only problem I've ever had with this was the time that a man and his particularly beautiful child booked into the YH I was working at.
I told the dad that I couldn't put her in the male dorm with him, but would give them a family room.
Dad was very shock angry with me, as it was actually a little boy with long straight shoulder length blonde hair. grin

theinets Sun 07-Oct-12 11:08:22

Long hair on young boys just shows their parents sad effection. Pretentious .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now