Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to expect to be able to find a doctor to see a child, in the uk, closer than 15 miles and less than a 4 hour wait?

(291 Posts)
SheelaNeGig Sat 06-Oct-12 10:35:42

Shes actually not ill as such but does have spreading infected skin rash. (but imagine if she was ill?)

And 15 miles and 4 hours wait away isn't a Doctor but a triage nurse. I think it needs more than a nurse prescriber considering the fucidin isn't working and she can't take anything orally. But not ill enough to endure a 4 hour wait.

The NHS is in trouble isn't it.

SheelaNeGig Sat 06-Oct-12 15:05:30

If you get ill on a saturday what are you supposed to do?

BatCave Sat 06-Oct-12 15:08:41

I suspected you worked in the NHS funnily enough OP, I do too. Which is why i'm surprised at the blanket statement you make about a sick child not receiving medical attention for 4 hours. I just can't believe there isn't a human somewhere in your vicinity that wouldn't triage adequately.

They tell you 4 hours to put off timewasters like yourself potentially . If your child was properly sick and you were sat in an ED waiting room, you would be seen. Fact.

Sirzy Sat 06-Oct-12 15:09:15

OOH services are always harder to access, less doctors to cover more people. Not helped by people using OOH when it could wait until Monday to go to the GP.

I have never had to wait to access medical treatment for DS but then when I take him it is a genuine emergency so we are seen straight away

SheelaNeGig Sat 06-Oct-12 15:10:22

And having worked nights for said glorious NHS all week, with no break, barely time to go to the loo, leaving late and knowing I haven't been good enough, wasting time trying to find essential equipment which isn't there, working my ass off, I honestly think that it is on the verge of vollapse. There has to be an alternative that works because the current system doesn't.

And that includes needing to get treatment on a saturday.

Snog Sat 06-Oct-12 15:11:51

OOH here In my city is 3 miles away and a usual 4 hour wait. You are however seen by a doctor.

SheelaNeGig Sat 06-Oct-12 15:12:02

But its not an emergency. I know that.

But it is painful and could do with being treated sooner rather than later.

hazeyjane Sat 06-Oct-12 15:13:14

Well, in fact ds did need to see an ooh dr a while ago, and we were told similar - choice was an estimated 4 hour wait if we went to a+e (25 miles away), and nearest ooh service to see a gp was 18 miles away and only available appointment 3 hours time. We chose the ooh service, because the last time we went to a+e with him we had actually waited 6 hours, despite him having breathing difficulties, due to a cock up by the initial assessment being cocked up. After another hour, we realised he was a lot worse than we originally thought, and we ended up having to have an ambulance.

I know exactly what you mean about the awkward middle ground.

BatCave Sat 06-Oct-12 15:13:52

Surely it depends on the situation, the type of illness. Ie, chest pain - call an ambulance. Broke your leg - ditto.Acute abdo pain? Call OOH, if no success go to ED. A bit of D&V call NHS direct/OOH - if you have to wait for hours, its not going to harm. If you feel it might,go toED/call an ambulance. I don't really understand what's not to get. Either you're sick enough to require emergency treatment or you're not.

Sirzy Sat 06-Oct-12 15:14:00

Our a and e has a sign up saying that the wait is currently 4 hours (or whatever it is at that time) doesn't mean they dont triage and see emergencies much quicker than that!

hazeyjane Sat 06-Oct-12 15:16:47

Sorry, crossposted Batcave, ds was an emergency when we were left waiting in a+e - low oxygen levels and with a complex medical history, but we were still left waiting for hours, we were then given wrong advice, and sent home. Only for him to be admitted to the children's ward the next day.

higgle Sat 06-Oct-12 15:30:29

My m-i-l who waited over 9 hours for an ambulance on Thursday night is now in hospital and will be for some time ( see post above). Reading through all the stuff above about waits I sometimes think GP services are one area of life where we are asked to suspend all our usual conceptions about what is and is not good customer service. I'm particularly impressed by the sort of service most vets offer, open til 7pmish, invitations to phone for advice, never much of a wait for an appointment or to be seen and very friendly service. Garages, libraries, shops, hairdressers all open to accommodate those who work. I've never quite understood why we are supposed to think it is OK to wait weeks for appointments, have to take time off work and quite often experience abrupt and unfriendly service in the health sector, plus a lengthy wait at a pre booked appointment.

It would be slightly better if GPs and theNHS in general would say ,"yes, we know it is crap but this is all we can afford" ( though a smile costs nothing)
but instead we have this strange attitude that 4 hours is not very long to have to wait. Having had one son who spent much of his childhood breaking his wrists ( until surgery sorted it out) I can say with some authority that 4 hours seems interminable, it disrupts your working day and costs your employer money and is just far too long.

VodkaKnockers Sat 06-Oct-12 15:36:51

I think the services depends on what part of the country you are in.

I'm in West of Scotland in an area served by 4 large Hospitals a&e hospitals, 2 minor injuries units and a dedicated childrens hospital as well as several OOH services whethers a friend of mine who stays roughly 30miles away the services is a bit more patchier.

TheAngelshavetheOod Sat 06-Oct-12 15:53:12

We are 15 miles from ooh drs/A&E. Lots of people are further away here.

flow4 Sat 06-Oct-12 16:13:39

When DS1 broke his arm - bone sticking out of wrist - it was 10 miles to the nearest A&E and then a 4 hour wait with nothing but paracetamol for pain relief.
And frankly, it was all those people who were "not really ill" who made his wait so long...
A girl with a 'spot' on her hairline and a GCSE the next morning...
A young woman who had cut her finger gardening (but no blood spurting)...
A mum who had brought her daughter with 'tummy ache'...
A mum with a toddler she was 'worried' about who was so energetic he kept bashing into my DS's broken arm sad ...
They were all sent home as soon as they had been seen. My son was sedated and admitted.
It all made me feel VERY unreasonable.

mantlepiece Sat 06-Oct-12 16:18:14

Read an item in the news recently, apparently Cherie Blair is investing in a company offering healthcare from Supermarkets!

You can get a flu jab for £7 at Asda at the moment and they will eventually be offering appointments with a GP.

She obviously saw a gap in the market!

hazeyjane Sat 06-Oct-12 16:32:17

Hmmm, I wonder if I could get ds flu jabbed at Asda then, he has to wait until December for the jab from the gp.

Sirzy Sat 06-Oct-12 16:35:43

I think children have to be done via the GP

thebitchdoctor Sat 06-Oct-12 16:38:41

What is it that you do in the NHS OP? I can't imagine if you were clinical staff you would be saying these remarks because a) you'd know how unreasonable you were being if you were and b) you'd know if someone was genuinely ill on the weekend they would be seen much quicker than after 4 hours.

Stop wasting the NHS's time with this non-emergency. It is inappropriate usage of emergency services like this that bumps up waiting times. Well that and no money to employ more clinical staff.

hazeyjane Sat 06-Oct-12 16:42:08

oh darn, I didn't think I would be able to reallysmile. December just seems a long time away!

Thebitchdoctor, I thought the whole point of the op was that she didn't want to waste the time of the emergency services. And I'm sorry but we have had the misfortune of having to wait longer than 4 hours to get to see a dr with a sick child, so it does happen (I realise not all the time, but it really does happen)

thebitchdoctor Sat 06-Oct-12 16:51:09

She is wasting time by contacting OOH for something that can wait till she is seen by her own GP during the week. And I don't subscribe to this 'it takes 4 weeks for an appointment' rubbish either. I've worked in 4 GP practices now and every single one of them had different ways of seeing emergencies daily and all GP practices should be offering telephone consultations as well. My current one also offers online consults. And all GP surgeries are contracted to be open between 8-6.30 and many do extended hours for workers too.

If you live in rural areas, being a bit of a distance from healthcare during out of hours is something you have to accept. Mind you I live in a big city and my nearest A&E is 9 miles away, I don't have a problem with that at all!

ilovesooty Sat 06-Oct-12 17:20:16

I had an appointment to se my GP for an injured ankle at 5-30pm last Wednesday. At 6pm she sent me to the local injuries unit to have it Xrayed (I had to take a taxi as I couldn't drive). The wait is advertised as 4 hours but the whole process took about an hour and a half. I think the service is good and the OP is BU: her daughter wasn't an emergency and I don't see that the NHS can reasonably offer the same service at weekends as during the week. I think getting seen by an NHS dentist at any convenient time, even in an emergency, is far more difficult - and you have to pay for that.

Perhaps the OP would like schools to open on Saturdays too with a full complement of teachers in case she fancies sending her daughter in for some extra classes.

One of the reasons for the dire state of the nhs is because of people with unrealistic expectations.

Just sayin.

SheelaNeGig Sat 06-Oct-12 17:33:33

Have I touched a nerve bitchdoctor?

Yes. I work clinically in the NHS and have done so for many years. This is how I know it simply does not work well. Chronic understaffing. Constant change for the sake of it. Disgusting wasteful practices.

I make my point once more.

My own issue is not an emergency which is why I won't be taking her to OOH.

My point is that if child was indeed sicker it would have to be seen and treated. And it is not unreasonable in 2012, in the UK, with healthcare free at the point of delivery, to expect to be available on a saturday.

SheelaNeGig Sat 06-Oct-12 17:36:03

Weekend schools? Why not? Would sort out overcrowded classrooms.

Why should life stop on saturday and sunday? Theres no need.

Sirzy Sat 06-Oct-12 17:37:13

Where are you finding the money to offer more at a weekend?

You can access treatment at the weekend. Your issue is the fact you have to wait

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now