to expect to be able to find a doctor to see a child, in the uk, closer than 15 miles and less than a 4 hour wait?

(291 Posts)
SheelaNeGig Sat 06-Oct-12 10:35:42

Shes actually not ill as such but does have spreading infected skin rash. (but imagine if she was ill?)

And 15 miles and 4 hours wait away isn't a Doctor but a triage nurse. I think it needs more than a nurse prescriber considering the fucidin isn't working and she can't take anything orally. But not ill enough to endure a 4 hour wait.

The NHS is in trouble isn't it.

GrimAndHumourless Sat 06-Oct-12 12:13:03

no but we are saying GPs could do late openings/weekends or something similar

Whitecherry Sat 06-Oct-12 12:14:23

So a surgery should open and staff come in?

I guess it's been suggested and disregarded, probably due to costs or something

Whitecherry Sat 06-Oct-12 12:15:18

Would help working people too if appointment system was offered over the weekend

GrimAndHumourless Sat 06-Oct-12 12:16:45

yes we understand all of that, it won't happen, for a start it's not fair on the staff who work all week brilliantly, money is an issue I'm sure

just a bit y'know, wistful, envious praps, of the bonuses of city life like walk-in centres

GrimAndHumourless Sat 06-Oct-12 12:18:37

yy to working population also having probs accessing healthcare.

Anyhoo, I'll take me pity party elsewhere, sorry to drag thread down

SundaeGirl Sat 06-Oct-12 12:21:23

YABU. completely unreasonable, first world kinda brattish.

GPs surgeries are staff by actual people. People who would like their weekends.

If your DD was in a great deal of pain or even just pretty sick an ambulance would come to your home and get her with blue flashing lights. If you chose to drive her to A&E she would only have to wait as long as the seriousness of her case warranted.

I think hospital ward consultants should/must be on a 24/7 rota - there's no weekend justification for them. But fungal toenails? They can wait til Monday. GPs definitely shouldn't have to be open weekend.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Sat 06-Oct-12 12:37:36

I undertsand where you are coming from, but you are expecting too much. There just isn't the money in the system to provide the same GP cover as we have in the week at weekends. It would be a 'nice to have' rather than an essential. The NHS has far greater priorities tbh.

We have to go to the hospital to see the OOH GP, luckily for us it's not too far away. I don't think 15 miles is too far to travel, you are making it sound like an hours journey.

Tuttutitlookslikerain Sat 06-Oct-12 12:39:35

Our surgery does actually open on a Saturday morning. And in the week starts at 8 and closes at 6.30.

I think that the vast majority of people can actually manage to get to the docotr's in the week. Surely if you are ill, or your child is ill, you make the time to go?

TinyDancingHoofer Sat 06-Oct-12 12:42:39

Having just been very seriously ill and treated amazingly by staff i understand why minor injuries and ailments have to wait. If your child was actually ill and it was an emergency but the doctors were busy treating a small skin complaint would be furious.

sashh Sat 06-Oct-12 12:44:37

Can't you take her to a pharmacy - they are good for things like a rash.

nurseneedshelp Sat 06-Oct-12 12:45:26

If you're daughter has already been prescribed fucidin then I pressume it's an ongoing problem therefore not an emergency.it's something you're own GP can see! A+E, walk in centres and 101 aren't there for routine follow-up stuff or for second opinions when folk are unhappy with their GP......

LadyFlumpalot Sat 06-Oct-12 12:46:15

OP, are you anywhere near Shaftesbury? I'm on the edge of Wiltshire/North Dorset and I just took DS straight up to Shaftesbury Hospital when he developed a nasty allergy rash.

Didn't even bother phoning NHS direct.

suburbandream Sat 06-Oct-12 12:47:19

YABU, you say in your OP she's not actually ill, so of course if you go to the nurse you would not be a priority. If it was an emergency she would be seen much sooner. My own experiences of the NHs have all been positive although I know it's not always the case everywhere. Yesterday, DS was off school with a tummy ache and feeling sick which he'd had since the day before. When it got much worse and moved to the right side I was worried it was appendicitis and called the GP, they fitted him in within an hour. He is much improved now thank goodness. If it'd happened at the weekend there is an out of hours number and the local A & E is only about five miles away.

LadyFlumpalot Sat 06-Oct-12 12:47:23

Sorry, need to read more posts, didn't see that it was an ongoing thing...

Please disregard previous post.

OwedToAutumn Sat 06-Oct-12 12:51:38

If you ring my doctors surgery out of hours,you get a message to say if it's an emergency, dial 999. People in that category wouldn't wait 4 hours for the triage nurse!

If its not an absolute emergency, you can call the emergency doctor, but if you want to be seen, you have to drive to the hospital where they are situated. If you really can't wait, I don't think that's such a terrible thing. I agree that if you have no access to transport, this would be difficult. Lots of buses do go to our local hospitals, though, but we are not rural.

Otherwise there is A&E. I took DD2, yesterday. I was greeted by a triage nurse, who directed us to the emergency care area (staffed by nurses, for minor injuries etc). If they had not been able to help, we would've been sent to children's A&E.

There was a sign in A&E that waiting times were up to 4 hours. We were in and out within an hour and a half, for a non urgent situation. Half an hour of that was waiting for a numbing cream to work.

WorraLiberty Sat 06-Oct-12 12:53:46

YABU. completely unreasonable, first world kinda brattish

This ^^

If you were life threateningly ill, you'd bee seen immediately.

If you were just ill, you can wait 4 hours I'm sure.

I don't see what the problem is?

Pourquoimoi Sat 06-Oct-12 12:55:09

I haven't read the whole thread but OP I think YABU. The whole point is that if she was properly ill and needed more urgent attention, she would get it.

If you turned up and she was in any sort of danger then you'd be seen and sorted out immediately, despite them saying a 4h wait.

Even you said she's not ill enough to warrant a 4h wait, so by saying that you're saying she's not that ill and perfectly capable of waiting safely.

There are limited resources but our NHS is blinking fantastic compared to other countries. Think yourself lucky.

Purple2012 Sat 06-Oct-12 13:07:35

Yabu, the nhs can't have walk in centres everywhere because not everyone drives. She isnt ill, if she was you would be seen quicker or advised to go to a and e. All my experience of the nhs is if it's not an emergency they are slow, but if it is an emergency the service is fantastic.

If you had doctors open all weekend there would be less available during the week so wouldn't solve much. Most things can wait until doctors are open, if not there's nhs direct, ooh pharmacists, and a and e.

I'm lucky, in a day. I live in a town that has an ooh service, a minor injuries unit 20 minutes away.

But my 'local' a and e is 40 minutes away and is supposed to be more central. There have been an increase of roadside births.

I always go see my local pharmacist if I'm not sure and if my son is I'll and needs to see a doctor we have sit and wait appointments. I took him up there the other day with a chesty cough, the receptionist asked me if I felt it was an emergency, instead of saying 'yes' I explained that as a family we are prone to chest infections.

My a and e is slow, they took 4 hours to see my dad, but when they got round to him everything moved on pdq, especially after they discovered he had no red blood cells.

People who are not seriously ill should not use a and e as a weekend doctors.

ISingSoprano Sat 06-Oct-12 13:32:42

GPs do evenings and weekends. Most surgeries will offer 'extended hours' based on the findings from patient surveys. However, when the surgery is closed you have several options; call OOH where you will be triaged and offered advice over the telephone or asked to visit an OOH centre, or offered a home visit. If your condition is life threatening then you phone 999 or get yourself to A&E if that is appropriate.

YABVVVU to expect a child who is 'not unwell' to be seen in under four hours. Get real.

I think Sheelas point was that the OOH hadn't ascertained how her dd was before stating it was a four hour wait. It's probably the blanket statement that has caused the issue.

PandaNot Sat 06-Oct-12 13:44:41

YABU you said she's not I'll, if she was then she would be seen more quickly. Even if I phone our doctors at 8.30 when they open during the week when surgery is open I would expect to wait longer than four hours to see the GP or the nurse practitioner.

BatCave Sat 06-Oct-12 14:47:34

Sorry but YABU, the advice you have been given applies to YOUR situation, your non-emergency. I'm also in the south west. I work here and currently in hospital (community) being given help with breastfeeding with my 4 day old DS.I am astonished at the lengths people have gone to to help me - the maternity assistant who went home an hour late last night to help me through a bit of pain for example.

Like others have said - the NHS is stretched throgh lack of funding, added to that people timewasting acute services for non acute cases.

Lets praise the good of it, we are damn lucky with what we have got, yes it could be better but I'm sick of hearing how shite it is when there are people who dedicate themselves to it.

SheelaNeGig Sat 06-Oct-12 15:02:08

Like I said up thread. Her pus and sore bits isn't the point. She can wait.

What I am outraged about is the non-service for anybody not ill enough for an emergency but too ill for self treatment or waiting a week to see a GP.

Yes the NHS is fabulous for emergencies. Generally though I think it is shit and doesn't work.

And I work for it. I know what it is like.

SheelaNeGig Sat 06-Oct-12 15:03:57

And the advice wasn't specifically for my situation. It was bare fact for anybody looking fir a doctor on a saturday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now