Surely Jeremy Hunt has got to go???

(1000 Posts)
stillorsparkling Sat 06-Oct-12 08:35:00

Apparently he supports reducing the legal cut off for abortion to 12 weeks.

He's the health secretary FFS!!!!!

JugglingWithPossibilities Fri 12-Oct-12 16:46:54

< so wanders off to start a new religion ... hmmm, how many husbands do you think ? >

JugglingWithPossibilities Fri 12-Oct-12 16:40:50

Can't think there's a better way to end the thread than with LineRunner's excellent suggestion ....

jiminyCrick Thu 11-Oct-12 21:32:33

Xenia ...good news..if you're willing to go back in time a bit, i'm pretty sure the ancient Celtic Picts were a matriarchal religion which allowed Polyandry (woman having more than one husband)... Just thought you'd like to know!

colleysmill Thu 11-Oct-12 21:09:30

Thank you for the nice posts - very kind smile

As a final note I would like to mention the wonderful support I received on Mn at the time - the ladies on the anenatal choices forum are amazing and helped me through a really tough time. Mn can be a wonderful place smile

YouMayLogOut Thu 11-Oct-12 20:33:27

Fantastic idea LineRunner.

LineRunner Thu 11-Oct-12 19:57:42

I would like to work on an 'Abortion Myths' campaign idea, much in the same way as MNHQ came up with their 'Rape Myths' campaign. Perhaps MNHQ and you all will help, or MNHQ will take it on.

marriedinwhite Thu 11-Oct-12 19:57:32

I know that I upset many of you earlier in the thread but that doesn't mean that my heart doesn't go out to every woman who has had to make unenviable choices or go through horrific experiences and in those circumstances I think there does need to be choice and support and love. I reserve my position on hoping that for those who can make choices about whether to make babies in the first place that we reach a situation where there is far more education about the acceptability of saying no, ensuring precautions are taken wherever possible and giving our daughters the encouragement to make the right choices about sexual relationships. I know it isn't a perfect world but I think women owe themselves, each other and their sons and daughters the right to try to equip our children with the freedom to makes choices and the gift of a better world and a more equal world than existed pre-1967.

missymoomoomee Thu 11-Oct-12 19:46:51

Can I just squeeze in before this comes to an end with a thank you to all those who shared such personal experiences, and thank you to all those for their kind words to me as well.

JugglingWithPossibilities Thu 11-Oct-12 19:41:45

I'd just like to say, before we close ?, that in spite of the vociferous views of some with a very entrenched non-tolerant view-point here, there are many others who are prepared to learn something from others experience, so that their views do not only depend on their own necessarily limited experience of life.
Thanks to all who have shared their experiences for us to learn and understand better.

AngryBeaver Thu 11-Oct-12 19:28:47

Thank you. I am so sorry to all you ladies who have gone through this heart breaking experience (()) to you.
And I would like to thank everyone for their kind words and support, it is very much appreciated x

JugglingWithPossibilities Thu 11-Oct-12 19:23:17

Thanks for your posts AngryBeaver - I'm sorry for your loss sad

LineRunner Thu 11-Oct-12 17:33:56

perfectstorm, that is very scary stuff.

By the way MNHQ have removed a lot of the posts on this thread that were, well, hateful.

perfectstorm Thu 11-Oct-12 13:20:33

Colleysmill I read it, and felt nothing but respect for you - for the difficult decision, but also your courage in sharing it to try to educate. If "normal" responsible women don't share their stories, the myths about "hysterical teenagers throwing tantrums so they can have a fifth abortion" aren't effectively checked, or shown up as the rubbish they really are.

A US friend who works in the pro-choice movement over there posted this link on Facebook today. It's what is happening after Texas gutted its family planning (never mind abortion) provision for lower income women. In essence, it's now chemical backstreet abortions, via illegally produced Mexican drugs.

mrsnec Thu 11-Oct-12 05:10:21

Colleysmill I just re-read your post and again I think Linerunner is right about the other posts around that page. It sounds like you absolutely made the right choice for you and your family. On reflection I don't feel that any of us should have to justify our choices to anyone. Don't feel you didn't deserve special treatment either. It sounds like your case was handled sensitively,honestly and responsibly.I have a very negative view of the NHS because of my own past experience which I wont go into but it sounds like you definately were in safe hands.

LineRunner Wed 10-Oct-12 23:58:22

Thanks, colleysmill. I think what you wrote was very powerful, and got swallowed up rather by some subsequent pieces of anti-choice madness that followed. But your posts still stand and I hope will benefit many more people one day.

My point to MNHQ is that women in the same boat are less likely to read the good stuff if it means having to run the gauntlet of hate posts.

colleysmill Wed 10-Oct-12 23:51:47

actually it was page 22

Linerunner I thought your posts were fab smile

colleysmill Wed 10-Oct-12 23:46:38

I'm ok. Still her grin

Did anyone comment on what I posted? (I cant be bothered to go back and look this far on because i am vv lazy)

LineRunner Wed 10-Oct-12 23:40:55

Someone fairly extreme/bonkers got deleted, colleysmill, and the rest just became general discussion.

I hope you are ok.

colleysmill Wed 10-Oct-12 23:30:24

I don't know whats more depressing - that I posted on what is now (about) page 23 of 40 or that its still going!

LineRunner Wed 10-Oct-12 22:38:06

Hunt is a very wealthy man. He has no idea how people who rely on the NHS, free at the point of delivery, actually live.

perfectstorm Wed 10-Oct-12 21:25:06

I don't have pudding as a general rule, Xenia, nor do my family. Free access to fruit, but we only eat pudding with Sunday lunch. And cake is likewise a weekly deal. Homemade necessitates that - too much else to do! I don't think demonising food helps, either. Treats are fine in proper place - nobody in my family is an unhealthy weight at all.

Most Tories do, absolutely. It's just somewhat unfortunate that Hunt chose to formally sign himself up as co-author of, and believer in the ideas spelled out within, "Direct Democracy" by Daniel Hannan, which calls for the NHS to be dismantled, and states it is "no longer relevant in the 21st century". His name is also on an appendix in a similar book, "The Plan" where the authors cite those Tory MPS who support their aims. (Michael Gove is also a signatory.) H

You may recall Mr Hannan. He was the Tory MP wheeled out in the USA when Obamacare was under heavy attack, who described the NHS as "a sixty year mistake." If Mr Hunt wants to be regarded as a staunch supporter of the NHS, perhaps he should be rather more careful over the projects and people with whom he most closely associates?

Xenia Wed 10-Oct-12 21:03:04

He has a Chinese wife he married in China and 2 children under 2. He married late in life. There is clearly a lot about him under the surface we don't know. However if you want privacy or money you don't go into politics. I am sure he will believe in the NHS - most Conservatives are very supportive of the NHS.

I don't agree cake and health go together. One of the biggest reasons we have so much more depression, obesity, diabetes and a host of diseases never known to our species for 2 millions years is because of the food most people eat every day. If he can get the British to the typical Chinese BMI or what it was historically or indeed our own 100 years ago and diet he will achieve much and probably could half the NHS budget.

LineRunner Wed 10-Oct-12 20:40:55

You can have cake, and health.

I was going to put usualsuspect in charge of crime.

perfectstorm Wed 10-Oct-12 20:35:56

Can I be in charge of cake? It's not the most glam area of expertise, but tis my own. I make bloody good cake.

I still can't get over the fact that we have a Health Secretary who believes in homeopathy, but not abortion or the, um, NHS.

Dawndonna Wed 10-Oct-12 19:31:21

Excellent!
grin

This thread is not accepting new messages.