Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Surely Jeremy Hunt has got to go???

(1000 Posts)
stillorsparkling Sat 06-Oct-12 08:35:00

Apparently he supports reducing the legal cut off for abortion to 12 weeks.

He's the health secretary FFS!!!!!

DelhiCalling Sat 06-Oct-12 09:24:02

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

stillorsparkling Sat 06-Oct-12 09:25:15

I would have less of a problem with the limit being lowered to 20 weeks IF and only IF we truly had the right to abortion on demand. I cannot believe that our current health sec would reduce limit to 12 weeks if it were up to him. I cannot agree that there is little to worry about just because they are his 'personal views' I find it very very concerning. This is how this shit starts , he simply has to go.

sue52 Sat 06-Oct-12 09:25:51

Abortion is such an important issue to women. It beggars belief that Cameron should have appointed someone who wants to cut the limit by half. I'm old enough to remember the time before the 1968 abortion act and I do not want to see our rights and all we campaigned for pushed back 50 years.

Zara1984 Sat 06-Oct-12 09:33:37

delhi it's nice that women have the choice to agree with you or agree with other posters, isn't it?

Wouldn't it be dreadful if, oh, I don't know, a minister (who had demonstrated himself to be shady and not one to be making moral condemnations based on his previous conduct) were to start the ball rolling so that many women no longer had a choice?

I love babies too, so does everyone else on this thread. FFS.

Zara1984 Sat 06-Oct-12 09:37:00

wigglesrock yes >> THIS. This is the situation armchair critics of abortion over 12 weeks do not think of.

Dawndonna Sat 06-Oct-12 09:39:36

I always thought that James Naughties 'freudian slip' was bang on.

getmorenappies Sat 06-Oct-12 09:39:54

Abortion is an emotive subject you know and contraception is freely available. I have never understood why it's seen as a woman's right to be able to kill her unborn child

It is an emotive subject, but i don't think it helps to refer to a fetus as an unborn child or a baby.

Dawndonna Sat 06-Oct-12 09:42:52

Delhi Most (not all) on these boards have children. Look at the name of the site.
The fact is that people like Hunt remove freedom of choice.

EasilyBored Sat 06-Oct-12 09:44:34

I love the argument that 'rape is different'.

So it's abhorant to murder innocent babies. Unless their father was a rapist. In that case, kill them. Sins of the father and all that.

If you're going to hold that kind of stupid opinion about abortion, at least try and be consistent.

Lowering it to 20 weeks is stupid, since most of the abortions after that point will be because of issues not discovered until 20 weeks...

TooMuchRain Sat 06-Oct-12 09:46:33

I may be WAY out of line and utterly sexist but surely a woman would be better suited to make descisions reguarding pregnancy/abortion.

I think it is sexist because I don't think gender has anything to do with the ability to make decisions like this - for me this is essentially a moral issue that is informed by medical research/reality.

scaevola Sat 06-Oct-12 09:47:59

He was stating personal view, not Government policy.

The Health Service is about much, much more than one procedure, so I don't see this one view as a competency indicator for the role any more than say supporting the death penalty as an indication of fitness for public office.

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Sat 06-Oct-12 09:49:17

Love babies but hate women eh Delhi? Why do people like you treat pregnancy as if it's nothing but a minor inconvenience? Adoption (nor abortion it should be said) just isn't that simple.

stillorsparkling Sat 06-Oct-12 09:51:58

Easily ; Abortion due to severe abnormalities is permitted to term . I was talking about abortion on demand , or in the UK "on demand" because of course it still isn't .

BartletForTeamGB Sat 06-Oct-12 09:57:29

"I love the argument that 'rape is different'. "

I quite agree. I don't think it is different. I think it is abhorrent to end the lives of babies, whether alive or unborn. I don't see a difference.

MrsHardigan Sat 06-Oct-12 10:00:00

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

EasilyBored Sat 06-Oct-12 10:00:13

Oh yeah, I got that. I just think that the current laws are serving us just fine, and tbh a lot if this is just talk to try and bring more right wingers into their voting pool.

Stuff like this is a slippery slope, chip chip chipping away at women's rights. At thw minute it feels like, if we turn our backs for a second, we're going to lose the right to own property or vote FFS.

toomanydaisies Sat 06-Oct-12 10:02:34

It's his personal opinion. Which he's entitled to.

I've always been a bit confused about the horror that terminating a baby at 30+ weeks provokes but 20+ weeks is ok...

Don't agree with Hunt but I do think there's a lot of knee jerk reactions.

MrsHardigan Sat 06-Oct-12 10:02:37

BartletForTeamGB Sat 06-Oct-12 10:10:30

Tanith Sat 06-Oct-12 10:11:01

Look at his role in the last job he held. He was supposed to pave the way for a Rupert Murdoch take-over in broadcasting. Unfortunately, the Guardian et al piddled on those fireworks.

So why is he Health Secretary? The NHS is being gradually privatised by the back door. Jeremy Hunt is in place to let it happen and I can think of no man better suited for the job.

BartletForTeamGB Sat 06-Oct-12 10:11:45

sashh Sat 06-Oct-12 10:13:08

I have a friend who was born at 22+3. Unless there's a medical reason for it, I believe aborting after twelve weeks is abhorrent.

I find it abhorrent to force a woman to continue a pregnancy she doesn't want.

Personally I would ban abortion other than for medical (and rape) grounds

And how would you determine rape? After a conviction? That could take up to a couple of years, or decades in some cases. If you just take someone's word for it then there will be a lot of rapes. That's how Roe vs Wade started.

wigglesrock

I really feel for women in NI and the Republic. I took a friend to a clinic, all the coffee /tea /snacks are priced in £ and Euros. The 'package' includes a taxi from the nearest airport.

Abortion is not about babies, it is about a woman having a choice of what happens to her body. And it affects noot just women in this country but those the other side of the Irish sea. Until (if ever) abortion is legalised in Ireland or NI there will always be women making the journey wigglesrock has outlined.

Until the 1970s Swedish women travelled to Poland for abortions, Polish women now travel to Germany since the law was changed.

Abortion will always happen, we should be doing all we can to make it safe and legal and keep it that way. We should also be campaigning so that it is available and safe for all women world wide.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 06-Oct-12 10:14:47

Completely wrong. Especially when waiting times for referrals, scans, etc can be 2 or 3 weeks. Then more waiting time to get the proceedure booked in. So even if you first go to your GP at 8 weeks you might be struggling to get it done by 12 weeks.

whistlestopcafe Sat 06-Oct-12 10:21:22

I know of a few young teenage girls who didn't find out they were pregnant until 16 weeks. Erratic cycles, don't tend to put on as much weight are not so aware of their bodies etc. It would be cruel and wrong to insist that they continue with an unwanted pregnancy. Also some women will take a while to find the courage to discuss this with anyone, 12 weeks is just too early.

On the balance of it I think I am in favour of a 20-22 week cut off limit. Babies can survive from 22 weeks and it feels very wrong to terminate a pregnancy when the baby is capable of surviving outside the womb.

Netguru Sat 06-Oct-12 10:22:22

Three of the largest religions in the uk oppose abortion full stop.

Would you bar any one who had faith from holding office?

Issues such as abortion and capital punishment are free votes in the house of commons known as 'matters of conscience.'. If you deny the right of legislators to hold personal views you just end up with them hiding them. Jeremy Hunt is in a minority in the conservative party in supporting 12 weeks. There are probably more in ALL the main parties who oppose abortion completely though on religious grounds.

Politician lies - shock horror!
Politician tells truth - shock horror!

Personally I am very uneasy about abortion being seen as one extremely drastic form of contraception. No woman should be made to carry a child she does not wish to, but I do worry about the 'oh I can just get an abortion' attitude which is sadly still prevalent.

This thread is not accepting new messages.