Surely Jeremy Hunt has got to go???

(1000 Posts)
stillorsparkling Sat 06-Oct-12 08:35:00

Apparently he supports reducing the legal cut off for abortion to 12 weeks.

He's the health secretary FFS!!!!!

Lovelygoldboots Sat 06-Oct-12 08:38:27

YANBU, it beggars belief that he has come out with this weeks into his role as health secretary.

Zara1984 Sat 06-Oct-12 08:39:47

Of course he has to bloody go! There's another active thread where ppl are raging about this, sorry can't link am on phone

ArthurShappey Sat 06-Oct-12 08:41:27

He's only just started. He would be the shortest serving health secretary ever.

I cannot begin to imagine what possessed David Cameron to give him this job. I'm a conservative voter and an NHS employee. It was a big, big mistake in my opinion.

Not only for his views on abortion, but also his views on homeopathy and also his dirty doings with the Murdochs show he has absolutely no discretion.

David Cameron is an idiot and between him and George Osbourne I'm beginning to lose loyalty to the conservative party.

wigglesrock Sat 06-Oct-12 08:42:44

I've just seen it too, but its just his own personal viewpoint, so lets not worry that David Cameron saw fit to appoint a Health Secretary whose competency for any job in government is dodgy never mind one who couldn't wait to spout his own viewpoint angry . The only saving grace is that Mr Hunt is as thick as champ at the best of times.

hackneyzoo Sat 06-Oct-12 08:44:00

He's awful. Did you hear him on the Today programme? He comes across as an ignorant and toady little man and it beggars belief that this man holds responsibility for the health of the nation!

RTchoke Sat 06-Oct-12 08:44:51

It's a tactic to make 20 weeks seem more palatable. 20 weeks is supported by much of the parliamentary Tory party so he is helping them out. Theresa May is on the Today prof right now advocating 20 weeks so together with Maria Miller we know of 3 Cabinet Members pushing for that. Hunt won't go. The limit will change to 20 weeks.

carabos Sat 06-Oct-12 08:46:04

His view on abortion was well known long before he was appointed Health Secretary. It's Cameron who needs to go. A fish rots from the head.

picnicbasketcase Sat 06-Oct-12 08:46:09

I find it deeply worrying that anyone has this view, especially a male MP in charge of health but hopefully everyone can see that these are his own extreme views and no laws would be passed on the basis of them. Some people don't get a positive result on a pg test until several weeks into the pregnancy.

MrsRajeshKoothrappali Sat 06-Oct-12 08:46:37

I may be WAY out of line and utterly sexist but surely a woman would be better suited to make descisions reguarding pregnancy/abortion.

I feel really uneasy when I hear him taking about it. Mainly because he talks crap but also because he's a bloke.

Is that odd? Does anyone get what I mean?

I felt the same when Tony Blair kept harping on about breast feeding - really think his wife or another female should be discussing that kind of thing.

I'm being strange aren't I? I can't even properly explain what I mean.

Lovelygoldboots Sat 06-Oct-12 08:48:02

RTchoke is right I feel, there has been rumblings about this for a long time. Hunt is just a sock puppet.

RTchoke Sat 06-Oct-12 08:48:38

Hackney - Hunt wasn't on Today. That was Daniel Kagynsky (sp?) MP a backbench Tory.

My bet is a Tory backbencher, not a member of the Government, will introduce a private members bill proposing to lower the limit. The Gov will maintain the line that they have no collective intention to lower the limit but they will allow a free vote. We know many of them will vote for 20 weeks and I suspect that will be the result of the free vote.

MisForMumNotMaid Sat 06-Oct-12 08:49:27

I was a bit shocked. It's not a small slip its complete ignorance.

lotsofcheese Sat 06-Oct-12 08:51:26

I think it's unlikely he will go, unfortunately. I have doubts about his competency as Health Secretary. As for his views on termination, they make me furious. 12 weeks is outrageous. Clearly a sweetener for the 20-week limit.

PoppadomPreach Sat 06-Oct-12 08:53:38

I agree.

I think however, he has some hold over the PM/those who hold the power as he has survived so much ineptness.

I utterly despair that such an arse can make so much progress in this government.

The positive side is however that if they continually to allow Jeremy to have high profile posts in government, they are effectively encouraging us to vote "anyone but Jeremy/Dave/George".

BartletForTeamGB Sat 06-Oct-12 08:58:08

"I may be WAY out of line and utterly sexist but surely a woman would be better suited to make descisions reguarding pregnancy/abortion.'

What makes a man any less competent to have opinions?!

"everyone can see that these are his own extreme views"

These 'extreme views' are held by a significant proportion of the population. They are not extreme!

I support this idea. Let's make the abortion laws more sensible.

Now we essentially have abortion on demand for social reasons but under the section that says that continuing the pregnancy is more dangerous for the mental or physical state of the mother. 91% of abortions are done before 12 weeks and almost all of them, at before 12 weeks, are done for social reasons.

So why don't the laws change that you are 'allowed' an abortion for any reason up to 12 weeks (giving up the pretence of it of it being for health reasons) and keep the current laws (however abhorrent I think they are) that an abortion is allowed up to term for fetal causes and (I agree with this bit) to save the life of the mother.

colleysmill Sat 06-Oct-12 08:58:46

I guess he is entitled, as we all are, to an opinion. It is not one I personally share with him.

My concern is how in such a position of power he ensures objectivity, which was questionable with the whole Murdoch kerfuffle. decisions should be made on fact and evidence, not because of.one persons opinion.

colleysmill Sat 06-Oct-12 09:00:35

A small percentage of abortions at the 12 week mark will be for medical reasons. Very small I grant you but it does happen.

getmorenappies Sat 06-Oct-12 09:01:26

I may be WAY out of line and utterly sexist but surely a woman would be better suited to make descisions reguarding pregnancy/abortion.

I'm a man and I completely agree. But you've still got the Nadine Norris' to contend with.

Jeremy c/hunt should have gone after the Leveson inquirey. But hey he's the richest member of the cabinet and I guess that's what counts in the Tory gov.

The justification rolled out for 12 weeks is 'religeon' and they won't stop till terminations are banned all together.

AThingInYourLife Sat 06-Oct-12 09:07:47

"What makes a man any less competent to have opinions?!"

The fact that he will never have his own rights compromised to give rights to something physically dependent on him for its existence.

DelhiCalling Sat 06-Oct-12 09:08:13

I agree with Bartlet.

Yabu though, please appreciate that the current abortion law is abhorrent to many people, and if someone doesn't agree with your viewpoint it doesn't mean they should be sacked.

I have a friend who was born at 22+3. Unless there's a medical reason for it, I believe aborting after twelve weeks is abhorrent.

Zara1984 Sat 06-Oct-12 09:08:13

Sure Hunt has got Cameron's balls in a vice with all manner of dirt on him/the govt, otherwise he wouldn't have appointed him to another high profile position after the Murdoch/Leveson stuff?

Or is it as getmorenappies says - he's the richest, that's why his opinion counts for so much in the Tory party?

BartletForTeamGB Sat 06-Oct-12 09:09:25

"A small percentage of abortions at the 12 week mark will be for medical reasons. Very small I grant you but it does happen."

And termination for medical reasons is allowed up to TERM, not just to 24 weeks.

margerykemp Sat 06-Oct-12 09:13:58

David Cameron voted for it to be loWered to 20 weeks last time there was a vote, didn't he?

This really doesn't surprise me. There will be other Tory MPs who want to ban abortion altogether.

wigglesrock Sat 06-Oct-12 09:18:11

At the risk of repeating myself from the another thread I'm on.

I live in NI, if I chose to have an abortion I would most likely have to travel. Say I found out at 6/8 weekish, I need to arrange the abortion, accomodation, time off work, flights/ferries, a plausible excuse as to where I was going etc, never mind thinking about the actual decision. 12 weeks is not enough time.

I have seen friends on their own on fucking stinking ferries, having lied to their family, work, borrowed money from God knows who, afraid to go to GP after if they feel unwell etc. That's abhorrent.

This thread is not accepting new messages.