to think leggings on their own is ridiculous

(164 Posts)
sidress Fri 05-Oct-12 21:56:30

as they are basically a form of tights worn under a skirt or long top. Not worn as trousers like I see so much of, particularly teens or young students. My daughter has taken to this recently but its her choice, I have bigger battles to pick.

I suppose the false jeans kind make a BIT of sense but I still don't get it.

usualsuspect3 Fri 05-Oct-12 22:16:43

No but it's a bit bloody spiteful.

IneedAsockamnesty Fri 05-Oct-12 22:17:00

i think people can dress up as giant toothbrushes if the fancy takes them

BegoniaBampot Fri 05-Oct-12 22:17:02

Saw a group of young girls like this. All bar one had on black leggings and cropped tops. It looked dull and boring and like some kind of uniform. and they all looked like Max Wall, remember him.

usualsuspect3 Fri 05-Oct-12 22:19:49

Hark at all the fashionistas on this thread.

GoldenSeptember Fri 05-Oct-12 22:19:53

grin at Max Wall - that's what my mum and Sdad used to liken me to in my leggings and DMs. Yes leggings must be worn with long t-shirts, obviously. wink

Startailoforangeandgold Fri 05-Oct-12 22:20:14

YABU

Back in the 80's when leggings were invented they were a decent thickness.

The trouble is the modern ones are shiteangry

ivykaty44 Fri 05-Oct-12 22:20:14

It really doesn't look very nice and often leaves nothing at all to the imagination which is pretty gross when out and about.

Bluestocking Fri 05-Oct-12 22:20:55

Countess, the campus where I work is heaving with girls wearing very flimsy leggings with short tops. Not so bad from the front but usually unforgivable from the back. To quote Ogden Nash "You look divine as you advance . . . Have you seen yourself retreating?"

panicnotanymore Fri 05-Oct-12 22:22:12

I am in that unfortunate position of being too pregnant for my usual clothes, but not pregnant enough for maternity trousers to stay up. Leggings are my only choice. I do my best to find arse covering tops, but on the days where I have nothing left that manages to cover bump and butt forgive me.

cerealqueen Fri 05-Oct-12 22:24:04

YANBU. Especially the patterned leggongs where the pattern becomes distorted out of all recognition as it is so s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d.

scottishmummy Fri 05-Oct-12 22:29:09

how disgusting to link a picture probably taken unawares
you think the lassie consented to that
it's nasty picture to prove puerile point about attire

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Fri 05-Oct-12 22:32:00

I quite agree. Im my day, <<old gimmer>> leggings were trousers. nice and thick, and totally not seethrough! Nowadays, they are just footless tights!
I spend a lot if time people watching at work, and its really never a good look!
The trouble is that NOTHING is left to the imagination. And even if you have the pertest bum in the world, in leggings, its going to jiggle unpleasantly.

Startailoforangeandgold Fri 05-Oct-12 23:39:50

Why are they so thin?

DD2 has some footless tights, bought labeled as such and DD1 has some M&S angel leggings. The difference in thickness is negligible. In fact I think DD2s tights might be more decent.

Sarahplane Fri 05-Oct-12 23:53:43

Yadnbu. Its a hideous sight on anyone. Leggings are not trousers. when will people learn. Leggings and dresses or big jumpers are ok but not shirt tops.

Quadrangle Sat 06-Oct-12 00:10:46

YANBU. Even if someone has the most perfect figure in the world it still looks bad IMO. I don't want to see the exact shape of someone's bum cheeks and camel toe.

santaisNOTathreat Sat 06-Oct-12 00:13:54

it is ok to excercise in the gym/home

LDNmummy Sat 06-Oct-12 00:15:04

I don't give a rats behind if a person has a whole load of extra weight or an arse as tight as the back of a fiat 500, I just hate walking behind someone on the steps when exiting the crowded tube station to find the persons arse stuck in my face with little left to the imagination. Leggings are thin enough and tight enough to almost be an undergarment IMO. All I see is your naked arse and the outline of your vaj if you wear them without something over the crotch area.

I may sound like a perv but that's what I see. Its great if you want to attract a partner I suppose, but very off putting for me. And I am in my 20's and could wear them that way if I wanted but choose to wear something over them for that very reason.

Topshop do thick ones (silly prices though, £18) and I wear mine with plain "oversized tops" (more ridiculous prices) or heavy jumpers and Docs. They're easy, warm, comfortable.

I think they flatter people most of the time, they're just like a second skin, but other people seem to have such a huge problem with the leggings as trousers thing that I don't do it myself.

FellatioNelson Sat 06-Oct-12 05:56:39

I cannot stand seeing people wearing leggings like trousers. Especially as they are usually really thin fabric and you can completely see their knickers through them. They just look like tights and the woman ends up looking like a bit of a nutter.

Utterly revolting, ridiculous, nasty, tacky etc, etc.

LesleyPumpshaft Sat 06-Oct-12 05:59:50

I know what you mean by the 'hoof'. I don't understand it, because I make a real point of not having the hoof and it's the sort of thing I would definitely check before leaving the house. confused I'm too old to wear leggings and a short top anyway.

What people wear is up to them, but I'm curious, do they actually know that everyone can see their knickers?

Is it such a big mystery, knicker-wearing? hmm who cares!

FellatioNelson Sat 06-Oct-12 07:32:33

It looks grim. If you don't care about looking grim then fine, but I don't want to see your arse cheeks and your clopper in such scary detail thanks!

LesleyPumpshaft Sat 06-Oct-12 07:36:34

Clopper. grin Never heard it called that before.

LST Sat 06-Oct-12 07:40:59

I personally give a shit. And again I find it pathetic that so many people do.

pigletmania Sat 06-Oct-12 07:43:35

Oh dear better put my leggings away then grin. Some of the cheaper leggings are so thin, but next do some in decent thickness

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now