Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to quietly point out to a teacher that the way she spells my daughters name is incorrect

(111 Posts)
freemanbatch Thu 04-Oct-12 22:41:51

I got a note today about an accident at school, the note was written by her class teacher and the spelling of her name was incorrect, I spoke to the teacher very quietly away from other parents to try and check that she did know that it was incorrect and it had simply been a mistake. There are different spellings of the name but we have always used the same one and DD is the only child with that name in the school. She almost shouted at me, to the point other parents turned to listen and said 'you are being very unreasonable expecting that we will know the exact spelling of every child's name why are you making a fuss?'

I really was quite surprised because all I had said was is this how her name appears on the register because the spelling is incorrect. I have heard other people complain about this teacher but I have never had a problem until today and it came as quite a surprise.

Was I wrong to point out the error? DD is a very young year 1 if that makes any difference to the answer.

LonelyCloud Sat 06-Oct-12 10:56:46

But Flojo1979, there's plenty of easy to spell names with more than one commonly accepted spelling.

Think of Jane/Jayne, Stephen/Steven, Catherine/Katherine, Anne/Ann to name a few. None of the above are hard to spell, but all are easy to get wrong if you're more used to the other variant.

MamaBear17 Sat 06-Oct-12 11:59:45

I am a teacher and in that situation I would have apologised and been honest about having spelled it incorrectly. I would probably have apologised to the child too and said some thing like "I shall remember that you are an 'ie' and not a 'y' from now on!". It is your childs' name and identity, the school have a responsibility to spell it correctly on legal documents. Im actually shocked that your child's teacher reacted that way.

littleducks Sat 06-Oct-12 12:07:22

At ds induction for reception his name was spelt wrong on the list. I pointed it out and first the secretary tried to say it was the councils fault but when I showed get all the other paperwork was correct she realised it had been her typing mistake. She very quickly ran down to the classroom to get his name tag altered wink.

I think for small children it is very important.

BonnyDay Sat 06-Oct-12 12:09:52

i simplay CANNOT believe the OP.
what a crock of shit

freemanbatch Sat 06-Oct-12 15:43:11

BONNYDAY? you think I made it up? can't understand why I would but anyway.

I never thought DD name was difficult to spell and used the only spelling I had ever seen for it when she was born but I have since been made aware of two other ways that I never knew of.

I didn't speak to anyone about the teacher, we all have bad days and she probably know herself that she shouldn't have said it so no need to make her feel any worse. I am hoping it will never be a problem again though smile

BonnyDay Sat 06-Oct-12 15:46:13

I cannot imagine a situation where a teacher would shout at a parent.
Especially when the parent is ( allegedly politely) trying to impart relevant information

freemanbatch Sat 06-Oct-12 15:52:44

neither could I until it happened Bonny which is why I thought I may have been being unreasonable by trying to point out the error.

BonnyDay Sat 06-Oct-12 15:53:39

so did you complain to the head?

BonnyDay Sat 06-Oct-12 15:54:03

Head might be trying to sack her - grist to mill

freemanbatch Sat 06-Oct-12 15:56:21

No I didn't speak to the head I put it down to a bad day and hope it won't happen again. Currently we have a consulting head who is only in a couple of days a week while a new head is recruited so its not easy to track them down and probably not an easy environment to work in either.

BonnyDay Sat 06-Oct-12 16:00:04

ah i bet if it has a sniff of failing that she is way under scrutiny

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now