What, Elvis too? AIBU to be starting to wonder if there were male stars of 60s/70s who weren't paedophiles/abusers/perverts?

(8 Posts)
margerykemp Thu 04-Oct-12 18:38:46

I was chatting to DP about Jimmy Saville and he told me that Elvis got together with Priscilla Presley when she was only 14! (he was 24) I didn't know this before. I started googling and found similar stories relating to Jerry Lee Lewis (wed a 13yo), Bill Wyman. Oliver Reed had a 16yo 'companion'. Rob Lowe's sex tape was with a 16yo (under the age of consent where it happened).
Also recently there's been that Green Mile actor who wed a 16yo so although 'legal' is still dubious and shows a lot hasn't changed.

Why is this so widespread?

Is it to do with the power that comes with fame?

Does society not care about girls' well being at all?

WorraLiberty Thu 04-Oct-12 18:39:35

It was perfectly legal where Elvis lived.....

PunkInDublic Thu 04-Oct-12 18:44:37

Luckily what was acceptable then isn't now, I think it was more widespread in the 60's/70's and before. Girls weren't encouraged to be girls for long, they were expected to be women much soon and unfortunately for them this had a knock on effect with what was accepted and expected sexually.

"Does society not care about girls' well being at all?"

I think the amazing response here on MN to JS and the we believe you, and that the MET are now involved shows we do care and even years after the event these women are finally being taken seriously and listened to shows that society is improving, is moving forward and does care.

margerykemp Thu 04-Oct-12 18:49:46

Worra- really? I thought the age of consent in America was 16-18 depending on the state?

Rindercella Thu 04-Oct-12 18:53:48

If those men had relationships with boys - 12/13/14/15 year old boys - then there would have been an absolute outcry (rightly so).

We need to have a deep (and it will be very dark) look at just why it has been acceptable for middle aged men to groom and rape adolescent girls.

As I said on the JS thread, I feel so angry about this and so bloody impotent.

NoIdeaWhyTheNameChange Thu 04-Oct-12 18:57:52

Elvis and Priscilla's relationship was legal socially acceptable then.

The virgin Mary was 14 when she married Joseph the carpenter (wasn't he about 90?)

Children used to be allowed to leave school at 14.

Times change. What is considered acceptable in law, and socially, is modified and changed over time.

Someone in my year at school married when she was sixteen(25 years ago). She still had to come to school. Why her parents gave consent is beyond me.

One day, everyone will be in full time education and not allowed to drink, vote or get married until they are 45 grin wink.

MrsPresley Thu 04-Oct-12 18:58:53

Although Elvis and Priscilla met (in Germany) when she was 14 and she then started living with him, they didnt have a sexual relationship until she was older.

I cant remember what age she was but I do remember her on a chat show talking about it and it's also mentioned in various books.

NoIdeaWhyTheNameChange Thu 04-Oct-12 19:08:14

Well she got pregnant on their wedding night. I do wonder if they had sex before that. Times were different then.hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now