To think innocent until proven guilty

(33 Posts)
kim147 Thu 04-Oct-12 18:24:20

Doesn't apply anymore in this age of social media?

The suspect in this abduction may or may not be guilty. I don't know. But this level of scrutiny, comments and speculation is just incredible. I really hope they find April. But I am concerned that "due process" is being damaged by all this speculation. It bears a remarkable similarity to the case of the man who was arrested and vilified in the media in that murder case but was found to be innocent. By then the damage had been done.

mayorquimby Thu 04-Oct-12 18:47:14

"As I keep saying - that wasn't just the media. Many MNers had him hung, drawn and quartered in 50 posts too, all because he didn't 'look' right."

The amount of posters who were claiming to have "never been wrong" when it came to just not feeling right about a person was equal parts scary and laughable.

monkeysbignuts Thu 04-Oct-12 18:47:23

burnei not without reasonable doubt, you only have x amount of hours before you have to release the person,the courts extended the time so they must have some pretty good information on him.

ptiger Thu 04-Oct-12 18:48:00

I hope the Police are right, because if they are wrong, how much time will have been wasted in the search for her as well as a man's life probably ruined. The longer this goes on the more people speculate they could be.

McHappyPants2012 Thu 04-Oct-12 18:49:59

I hope April is found soon, she needs medication for cerebral palsey sad

I to belive in innocent before being convicted as guilty, i haven't give much thought to the man who has been arrested, my thoughts are with April's friends and family who are going through hell.

bureni Thu 04-Oct-12 18:50:39

Monkey , you can be locked up in N.I without charge or conviction, a bit like minority report via the diplock court system, thousands of people have been.

Only read op but I guess as I've never seen the police (rather than the press)release a photo of a suspect in a case like this (I don't mean unidentified suspects on cctv pictures) in guessing they are pretty sure they have their man.

But I understand what you mean, I am thinking of the caretaker with the woman who went missing around Christmas (Joanne?!)

Look, if it's not him we'll know about it soon enough. Just like in the Jo case.

Once the man was exonerated in the Jo case, he received great sympathy for what he went through, as he should.

I still prefer to trust in Police procedure when it comes to a child's life.

grovel Thu 04-Oct-12 19:08:53

I'll go with KatieScarlett provided that the police are unequivocal in their apologies if this man is not guilty. They too often find it hard to apologise when they get something wrong for all the best motives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now