to think that nothing changes overnight when you are 18 so why do SS

(27 Posts)
threesocksmorgan Thu 04-Oct-12 16:41:21

think sn does?
my dd is severely disabled, she will be 18 soon.
seems that we might loose respite....
we have got a workable respit package that offers us the support we need,
yet when she turns 18 she will move to adult SS and they might cut her package.
yet she will still have the same needs.
I just don't get why and severely disabled adult gets less support, when the reality they will need more than a child in lots of cases.

The next time that most adults come back onto the radar is in the prison service or when they have children and the child is subject to intervention.

It would be cheaper to fund Adult services properly, but no government has been willing to do it.

bigbluebus Fri 05-Oct-12 11:39:24

Transition is a difficult time and my main criticism of the system so far is that although we started a Transition plan when DD was 14, the referral was only done to Adult Social Care at 17. Nothing then happened until 2 months ago, and DD will be 18 in just over 2 weeks.

We have got as far as knowing that we will get a package - hopefully on a par with what we get from children's services - possibly more. But the fact remains that we still don't know who will be providing the care and once they have been identified, they will need training. It is not going to happen in 2 weeks!!!

There is also the overlap with some services. DD goes to a SN school and will stay there until post 19. Because of this, the Community Paediatrician will still see her - even though responsibility for her health care passes back to the GP. She will still be seen by Paed Physio, Paed S& L and any other PAed services which are linked in to school. She will not, however, be able to go on the children's ward if admitted to hospital - so will go on appropriate adult ward for whatever medical condition she is admitted with and be seen by corresponding consultant - who won't know her.

I am currently very worried about the immediate future as we will be dealing with lots of new people who don't know DD - as she is very frail and vulnerable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now