to wonder if I've got this baby led weaning thing right

(76 Posts)
MrsKeithRichards Thu 04-Oct-12 16:35:28

So I just give him food? Like a bit of bread, cucumber, or basically a bit of whatever we're having and leave Him to it?

No blending or trying to get mush up carrots into ice cube trays?

Is that it? It's that easy? Heinz must hate it!

TillyLilley Tue 19-Mar-13 13:45:11

After months of struggling with weaning my dd (now 5) in the 'traditional way' I was left dreading weaning experience no. 2 with my Ds. Not wanting another episode of being referred to dieticians and speech therapists because she would eat barely enough to keep a sparrow alive and refused a spoon I began to look at alternative methods.

A few friends had dabbled with blw mixing the approach with some purée and it sounded so much easier. So we decided to give it a go. I won't say it hasn't had its ups and downs, thankfully my hv has been very patient and isn't stressing too much about his gradual reduction in weight gain but he is happy and developing as expected.

I have to say that I'm amazed at 8 months his approach to food. He knows what he wants and doesn't want. He tucks in , he plays, he explores new textures. Yesterday he had a piece of steak, potatoes, swede, baby corn. The day before we went out for Sunday lunch and he sat in a high chair and ate a roast dinner with the rest of the family. I'm sure at times he even tried to join in conversation smile Now when I say he ate a piece of steak I mean he sucked the living day lights out of it and any bits of meat that came off he either spat out or gummed them till he could swallow them.
It's not a radical or new approach but it is an approach that has worked for us ( so far).

As far as gagging goes - yes we have had and still do get some gagging episodes ( which my husband says gives him the fear) but he has never choked. He just sorts himself out and carries on as if nothing has happened.

If anyone is considering it then I agree with everyone else -read the gill rapley book; prepare for mess and give it a try. If it doesn't sit comfortably then try a different approach!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now