Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to wonder if I've got this baby led weaning thing right

(76 Posts)
MrsKeithRichards Thu 04-Oct-12 16:35:28

So I just give him food? Like a bit of bread, cucumber, or basically a bit of whatever we're having and leave Him to it?

No blending or trying to get mush up carrots into ice cube trays?

Is that it? It's that easy? Heinz must hate it!

BertieBotts Germany Sat 06-Oct-12 10:35:22

I did it too and thought it was great.

BTW they don't have to sit up alone - just be able to sit up without slumping over or being reclined, they can have a little bit of support. Leaning back is a big choking risk though so avoid that.

I think it looks frustrating as an adult but as a baby they aren't thinking in that way, they're just having fun trying. Plus letting them persevere without stepping in is really good for them and helps them be more independent later too.

CouthyMowWearingOrange Sat 06-Oct-12 10:46:34

I BLW before it was called BLW! My DD is 14 now, and I was a mum at 16. I got no real 'weaning' advice other than to wean her at 12 weeks. shock now, but was normal advice for a Preemie then.

I tried a purée once. It was bloody frustrating. I gave her some broccoli to hold. She ate it. Job done.

Lazy, too lazy to faff around puréeing everything. BLW was great.

Have done the same with the younger 3 too.

I was thought of as a lentil weaving hippy with DD. Now I'm seen as normal (ha!) for BLW DS3.

FlangelinaBallerina Sat 06-Oct-12 11:28:17

So does this mean the BLW approach won't work if you start with baby rice? And are there any fruits that can be started with under BLW- bananas? DD is only 9 weeks so there's plenty of time yet, but I don't know anything about weaning really.

BertieBotts Germany Sat 06-Oct-12 18:24:27

Feeding finger foods works great whenever you introduce it. You can start with baby rice if you want but it probably won't work very well as a finger food grin

Anything mostly can be a finger food though. You don't have to start with fruit and veg if you don't want to, but if you did - bananas, halved grapes, slivers of apple or whole apples, or steamed apple (not a good idea to give chunks at first as small bite sized pieces can break off easily), pear, cherries with the stones removed, peach, nectarine, orange segments with the skin broken, plain boiled rice if you're set on giving rice!

FlangelinaBallerina Sat 13-Oct-12 15:19:20

Thanks for the tips. I had been worried about apple initially because it can be quite sharp, so will probably start with some steamed segments. Might do baby rice first then move onto the finger feeding. DD likes to grab already, particularly dangly earrings and chest hair (ouch) so hopefully she'll be dextrous enough to enable us to start with this reasonably soon. Actually I seem to remember my mum trying finger foods with my little brother in the early 90s, but it was called something different then I suppose.

not blw again!

if little Kai doesn't drive himself to Tescos and pick the food then how is he really choosing?

yanbu. but it's just feeding a child..

hoops997 Sat 13-Oct-12 15:49:33

When I BLW with my DS I had a bath ready for when he finished, then just stripped him off and popped him him, I loved watching him fee himself, he's now 2.5 and loves his food smile

GodisaDJ Sat 13-Oct-12 15:56:31

I've just read/watched some recent comparative research:

youtube

m.bmjopen.bmj.com/content/2/1/e000298.full.pdf

Gagging is normal, may be a sign baby isn't quite ready.

Choking is normal in both 'traditional' spoon fed weaning and BLW and isn't higher in BLW according to research. Certain foods you need to be more mindful of, like whole cherry tomatoes, grapes, nuts, just cut them in half. And look in to a baby first aid course.

Anyone who is thinking about weaning, I'd definitely recommend reading:
BLW book by Gill Rapley
good website and another

AND most importantly, buy a splash mat or old shower curtain for the floor!

Good luck OP smile

chopping grapes? Oh my.
This sounds hard work. Can I not just smush them a bit?

Flisspaps Sat 13-Oct-12 19:28:39

Smushing or chopping is fine. I squash them.

Leaving them whole is the issue as they're the perfect size and shape to block the windpipe, and are apparently fucking horrendous to remove, even in hospital.

ICBINEG Sat 13-Oct-12 19:36:52

I thought the whole point of BLW (apart form laziness) was that while BLW babies gag more they choke less?

anecdotally we were the only ones doing BLW and the only ones not to have at least one choking incident in our gang of 7 babies. Presumably there are proper stats somewhere....

PeppermintLatte Sat 13-Oct-12 20:13:09

BLW was my idea of hell when DD was a baby. it literally brought me out into a sweat even thinking of it, i was convinced she'd choke to death.

if i have another baby, i'd do proper research and read up on it, as surely it must be much easier than chopping, blending etc...

MolotovBomb Sat 13-Oct-12 20:23:47

Hmmm, I don't get the whole BLW phenomenon. I don't know how babies can eat whole pieces of food when they have little or no teeth. Also, how odd for them to have only had breast or bottle for 6 months and then to have this new experience in taste/texture, everything, very suddenly.

I have a 3.8yo who was weaned slowly using purée first, moving onto slighty thicker, chunkier purée before finger foods and the rest. DD2 is now 6mo and I'm going to do pretty much the same with her.

I'm not saying the way I've done it/will do it is the 'right' or 'best' way; it's just that I can't get to grips with the concept of handing my teeny weeny baby a chunk of what I'm eating and expecting her to get on with it. I'm inclined to think that eating is something that we learn to do, so, best to start slowly and show them how with easy, soft foods, I guess.

Not for me, I'm afraid.

Kalisi Sat 13-Oct-12 20:34:32

Can not fault BLW! They can eat anything. Even baby rice etc, I just used to give him the spoon. As long as you can get over the following 1. Mess 2. Gagging ( not choking my DS used to gag all the time but never choked) 3. Disaprooving looks from people who don't understand BLW when your baby is tucking into a pork chop! And 4. The fact that for a while they probably won't actually ingest that much. Other than that it's amazing

I know everyone is different but BLW has really worked for us. My DD is 10 months now and a dab hand at feeding herself with her hands or with a loaded spoon.

Personally I absolutely loved not having to preprepare pureed meals for her. We just save a bit of our dinner the night before and she has it the next day. She just has the same as me for her breakfast and lunch. It suited us and I would definately do it again.

CaliforniaLeaving Sat 13-Oct-12 20:40:21

Thats how I weaned my now 18 year old, I just chopped up whatever we were having and let him at it. peas and mashed potatoes used to go down well. He loved any slippy fruits, he'd be laughing so hard trying to hang onto them.

dementedma Sat 13-Oct-12 22:10:56

When gagging and the lack of foods ingested are listed as disadvantages, then I would say these are fairly important. So your baby can gnaw a pork chop but not actually get any benefit from it? way to go!

Kalisi Sat 13-Oct-12 22:37:20

Thank you I will give myself a pat on the back! I have an extremely healthy happy baby who loves every type of food and was eating full proper meals by 9 months. He got all the iron and nutrients he needed from the juices of food that he didnt eat at the beginning. Until they are one, babies get most of what they need from milk anyway so at the start of BLW it's about learning to eat and enjoy food. As for the gagging, it is a very natural reaction to finger foods and it is how children learn not to choke.
But ofcourse ,I didn't choose BLW because I thought it was best for my baby, I did it because I wanted to put his life in danger, show off and deprive him of food hmm

exactly demented. People who start this far too early therefore are just handing them a pork chop dummy/teething ring. Nothing wrong with children exploring and chewing but lets not pretend it's some amazing new technique.

Kalisi Sat 13-Oct-12 22:49:03

I don't see where the negative attitude comes from though? It's just a different way of doing things and as you can see from the posts above it has worked for a hell of a lot of people. I only started when my DS was literally stealing things off my plate so believe me he was ready. Don't knock it till you've tried it....or don't try it I don't care

mybabywakesupsinging Sun 14-Oct-12 02:10:27

Guess it partly depends on the baby, and your circumstances...Ds2 refused to drink anything from a cup or bottle. As I was back at work full time when he was 10 months, he had to have food when I was out. He could only manage purees until 8 or 9 months, so that's what he got. DD has always been keen on whatever is on my plate ("share mummy's" is a favourite phrase) but again, as she wouldn't take milk from a cup or bottle, had some pureed casseroles/rice etc before she could eat food by herself easily early on. She eats almost anything we eat now (big fan of thai-type curry).
I don't really believe that how you wean has that much effect on whether you end up with a fussy eater. All of mine had roughtly the same foods as babies but ds2 was spectacularly fussy aged 2-3. It lasted until he became a massive fan of St Jamie of Oliver and the 30 minute cook book and started trying everything in it.

Boomerwang England Sun 14-Oct-12 03:36:39

I haven't bought any books, and I'm not likely to, but my 7 month old has a mixture of baby foods and I give her rusks or rice cakes to hold. I tried boiling carrots whole so she could hold them but she gagged and threw up on one. Not pleasant, so the carrots are currently waiting to be thrown in the bin since I don't bother cooking for myself. She seems to enjoy the variety of dry food mixes I've got for her, and even had a jar of something that smelt vile to me, and to be fair I enjoy feeding her. I'm not averse to her being messy but I don't let her play with the bowl and spoon. I give her a clean spoon to hold.

We let no. 3 do this - he would be given a bit of whatever we had (his first food was a gherkin at a restaurant - still a favourite today!)... he is great at trying new foods because we did it this way. His brother who was ed jar food is very, very fussy about texture, temperature, flavours... his big sister was fed our food mashed chunky, she is also not too fussy. So I definitely think BLW is the way to go. Be warned though - it took us a lot longer to wean. He was in no rush, he would have snacks, but still got most of his nourishment from breast milk right up to nearly age 2 when we stopped.

DialsMavis Sun 14-Oct-12 07:54:51

I tried BLW with DD, but she got really frustrated with not being able to eat as much as she wanted and wanted me to feed her some of the time. So we ended up doing a sort of BLW lite. She was offered what were eating/ had eaten at the last meal and ate as much or as little as she liked of it. But some of it was as finger food/ eaten with her hands and some was spooned in.

I know mentioning Annabel Karmel on a BLW thread is sacrilege but she does a great mini hand masher and serrated bowl for about £4, cant link as on my phone, but it's perfect. I use it for guacamole now!

DD eats anything now by the way (after a few fussy episodes which we ignore), but she is only 23 months, so am aware that could all change and could be more to do with my more relaxed attitude 2nd time round. As she also gets to eat treats that DS didn't get until he was about 5 grin

BrianButterfield Sun 14-Oct-12 08:01:43

I was watching DS this morning and thinking about BLW - people worried about mess etc need to remember it's really only for a few months. DS seems to (touch wood) have got past gratutitous food-dropping now at 14 months (until he rediscovers it, I'm sure!) and is currently sitting eating porridge with a spoon from a bowl, with a little help from his hands, on his own. He's also had a banana and some dry rice crispies for fun. There's a bit of porridge on his hands and face but no more than you would expect from any baby eating. Don't let mess rule what your baby eats! Things can be cleaned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now