to not actually 'get' the whole pink ribbon, wristband, tee shirt business when people are missing.

(37 Posts)
DogsCock Thu 04-Oct-12 10:50:15

What exactly is it for?

Is it to raise awareness? Because most of these high profile missing children/people have all the media attention anyway.

Where does the money go?

DogsCock Thu 04-Oct-12 15:24:20

Are you doing it AuntieStella?

AuntieStella Thu 04-Oct-12 15:29:09

No; the disappearance is very much on my mind, as one hopes and prays so hard there can yet be good news, but personally I don't feel drawn to doing this. I can however see why people would want to, especially those locally.

MrsKeithRichards Thu 04-Oct-12 15:34:16

It is a bit mawkish I agree but until someone writes a handbook on palatable aka acceptable ways to behave when your child is lifted of the streets I suppose people will just do what they feel is right.

Willabywallaby Thu 04-Oct-12 16:02:43

I would just be concerned people would think the ribbon is for breast cancer awareness not April

HecateHarshPants Thu 04-Oct-12 16:28:25

I believe it was a request from the family? I am reasonably sure that it's simply that they are falling apart, desperate and heartbroken and want to see that people care, to feel like they aren't alone, that it matters that their daughter is gone.

HecateHarshPants Thu 04-Oct-12 16:29:15

oh shit. I mean as in is missing. What a shit choice of words. I meant it matters that she's missing, that she's not with them.

DogsCock Thu 04-Oct-12 17:31:36

I know what you meant Hecate, and you are right though, at the moment she has gone, but hopefullly will be reunited with her family as soon as they find her.

FiercePanda Thu 04-Oct-12 17:34:05

I'm with MrsMinerva. I can understand the family/people locally doing it, but not so much Mrs Jones from Romford or Mrs Smith from Aberdeen.

FiercePanda Thu 04-Oct-12 17:34:29

But, if the thought of it gives the family a bit of comfort then that's the main thing.

YouMayLogOut Thu 04-Oct-12 17:38:04

YANBU. It's a shame that some people think it's not enough to discreetly offer any help/thoughts/prayers they can. To them, everything must be visible to others, or it doesn't count/isn't there!

DogsCock Thu 04-Oct-12 17:40:04

That's exactly it YouMayLog - I have been thinking of little else this week. I am hundreds of miles away, constantly checking the news and willing her to be found safely. To wear a ribbon is odd for me.

Where has it all come from anyway? America probably?

maras2 Thu 04-Oct-12 18:19:44

Not my idea of respect but whatever gets you through such anguish.I've never been in a situation like that so can't pass judjement on those who have

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now