Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that the bullying culture on MN can be a bit much....

(1000 Posts)
tjah04 Thu 04-Oct-12 08:50:11

Having been a member of MN since 2003 I have seen and read some disgusting comments from other members particuarly on this board.

I am starting to think that some of these people must be very sad and insecure.

Some of the names that are called are disgusting and I am sure that these people would never go up to someone in RL and call them that.

And do not get me started on the "I am better than you because I can spell" attitude which seems to be the final insult if all else fails.

Other comments include

"troll" "Oh not another thread" etc.

It is cyber bullying at the end of the day and as mothers shouldn't we all just grow up a bit? The MN team do a great job of deleting such posts but often the OP has seen it and the damage is already done.

Yes indeed. I've been here since computers were powered by peat -not actually-- and I have seen tens of these threads wink. If the OP really has been here this long then this was a pointy old stick of a goad. Under a namechange hmm.
I'm all for namechanges for comedy purps and Is that You UCM type questions or to avoid outing but this is a cowardly goad and therefore comes under my 'Piss Taking Green Light' list.

OhChristFENTON Thu 04-Oct-12 09:52:35

OP I do not believe that you were called a "dyslexic Cunt" and no-one challenged the poster who said that, - I don't not believe that for a minute.

BigStickBIWI Thu 04-Oct-12 09:52:39

So what did you do, tjah04? Did you report it to MNHQ? Did you call the poster on it on the thread?

MaryZed Thu 04-Oct-12 09:52:45

Where were you called a dyslexic cunt? Seriously, I don't think there is a person on this thread who would call anyone that shock

Name names, please. I would like to add them to my spreadsheet.

NolaFfing Thu 04-Oct-12 09:52:51

If posters are getting followed around the boards being called names on every thread they post on, then that is bullying behaviour and MN will ban people for that. Just FYI.

Someone calling someone a name on one thread, while pointless and unedifying, is not bullying.

I am really sick of seeing the word bullying being hijacked in this way. It definitely dilutes the reality of bullying. sad

wheresmespecs Thu 04-Oct-12 09:53:01

YANBU - All internet forums are basically a playground, and involve a fair bit of ganging up and posters joining in a 'dominant culture.'

There can be a particularly nasty edge on MN sometimes - You do get a lot women deciding that they are here to deal out some 'home truths' - they behave aggressively, very very judgey, while tellling posters that if they react by being hurt, it's because they can't handle 'the truth'. Very rarely have I come across people like that in real life and then I have run a bloody mile! They are toxic as hell....

I think you also get problems with very regular posters feeling that they 'own' MN and get to say what goes and what doesn't. Playground stuff, again.

Then there is the hideous 'I don't care if you are upset, I'm going to prove I know how to use an apostrophe when you can't' posts. Along with the mocking anyone who uses 'hun' etc. Playground taunts with a dose of rank class snobbery.

I think if you want info about a specific problem, like latch and positioning in breastfeeding, Mn can be great. Likewise forums for miscarriage, bereavement etc - I think they have a huge value and are very sensitive places.

elsewhere on MN - you are basically walking into a playground, and sometimes you can see grown women queuing up to take (virtual) chunks out of each other. Strange and unpleasant.

Ah XP on the NC front.
Still hmm about it though. Deeply.

NolaFfing Thu 04-Oct-12 09:53:55

x posted.
If someone called you a dyslexic cunt then that person is a cunt and is not indictative of MN.

EdMcDunnough Thu 04-Oct-12 09:54:00

Why can't I talk about it on this one, Hully? <confused>

OP I'm glad you came back.

Pagwatch Thu 04-Oct-12 09:54:47

A dyslexic cunt? Really?

I'd like 'dyslexic cunt' to be a medical condition.

I do think there are a minority of posters who are nasty about spelling and similar, but there are always loads of posters calling them on it.

I actually find that quite conforting.

But if someone calls you a dyslexic cunt, PM me, and I'll go yell at them. I enjoy it. smile

tjah04 Thu 04-Oct-12 09:57:44

I am around. Just catching up on the posts as moved from one computer to another.

I would like it to be clear that the posters tarred with the 'having fun, derailing, mocking, piss taking, knowing people' sins are rarely the ones who queue up to dole out home truths though, wheresmespecs.

The self-righteous Po types take that sort of thing waaaaay more seriously than we do.

wisden Thu 04-Oct-12 09:59:34

If someone called you a dyslexic cunt then I think you should name and shame.

Hullygully Thu 04-Oct-12 10:00:21

I have been called a cunting dyslexic

EdMcDunnough Thu 04-Oct-12 10:00:44

self righteous? cheers! Like I'm ever right about anything.

TuftyFinch Thu 04-Oct-12 10:00:54

I am only ever kind. To everyone.

MadgeHarvey Thu 04-Oct-12 10:01:59

Where? What thread were you called a dyslexic cunt? Because I've never seen anything like that - and I can't imagine the very great majority of other posters would allow that kind of insult to go unchallenged. Nope - I think you're probably one of the recent 'new' or 'namechangey' posters who's been whining on and on lately about being picked on, or not believed or whatever gripe is the flavour of the day. Being disagreed with or being picked up on runaway twattery is NOT the same as being bullied. Go educate yourself - you do a great disservice to the truly bullied.

Hullygully Thu 04-Oct-12 10:02:15

Quite, we are all kind except when someone is a right cunt.

Hullygully Thu 04-Oct-12 10:02:48

See Ed, why did you take sue's comment personally?

Do you ally yourself with the po?

thebody Thu 04-Oct-12 10:04:00

Name thread and poster.

RustyBear Thu 04-Oct-12 10:04:14

Will I be accused of bullying WhiteCherry's phone if I point out the glorious
autocorrect in her earlier post?

"They are given shirt thrift by regulars"

I need some shirt thrift, I spend way too much on shirts....

NolaFfing Thu 04-Oct-12 10:04:30

I really, really think you should link the thread or name and shame the person who called you that. That is shocking, and I would bet all of my wages for today (£32.56) that if that happened it was a troll who said it, not one of the "regulars".

LaQueen Thu 04-Oct-12 10:04:58

Bullying does happen on MN. I have seen it and I don't necessarily mean two people having a heated debate.

What I hate to see, is when groups of MN-etters appear to travel in packs.

There can be one naive MN 'Wendy', who might object to something another MN 'Julie' has said...but, sadly, 'Wendy' doesn't realise that 'Julie' has her own MN pack...and within minutes, several of 'Julie's' pack appear (as if by magic) on the thread, and poor 'Wendy' starts to get a verbal kicking.

I bleddy hate to see this happen, and it's one of the very few things which can make me angry on MN. It's petty, spiteful and cowardly angry

As a MN veteran, I can spot it happening a mile off - and I can pretty much guarantee that if MN-etter A starts getting feisty on a thread, then her pack of MN-etters B C D and E will swiftly arrive to support her.. It's always the same packs, always the same names.

This thread is not accepting new messages.