to think cafe's should stay open for tea?

(59 Posts)
OwlLady Wed 03-Oct-12 16:17:54

surely they are missing a trick?

they all seem to close at about 4pm and I quite often think it would be nice to take the children to a cafe for tea

and yes, I live on the outskirts of a market town where everything seems to close too bloody early anyway

BrianButterfield Wed 03-Oct-12 18:06:03

I work in a market town and the idea of their being a Wagamama is just laughable! I'd be gobsmacked even if Costa moved in! Sometimes before a parents' evening (I'm a teacher) it would be nice to pop into town for a bite to eat but only pubs are open serving food at 4.30 - 5pm ish and while that's OK sometimes, often you just want light "cafe" food rather than a pub meal. Also cafe food is more likely to be homemade!

BrianButterfield Wed 03-Oct-12 18:07:04

Ack, "there being" not "their", of course.

motheroftwoboys Wed 03-Oct-12 18:08:05

live in a city so everything open till late. Surely there are places like Costa just about everywhere? Isn't it weird how many cafes there are now? What did we do without them. p.s. we have a new Krispy Kreme place open till 10 every night too.

smalltown Wed 03-Oct-12 18:08:43

RubyFakeNails

Hahaha

Shops close on Wednesday's in the country. Wagas/costa/GBK/insert chain of choice is considered an evil 'forrin' influence likely to disrupt the peaceful harmony of a market town.

The town council would strongly oppose any such applications. And then would light a wicker man just to make sure.

Ds1 works in a cafe and they close at 2.30 for two reasons. To pick up their dd from school and to prep in the restaurant they also own where they get their main business.

McHappyPants2012 Wed 03-Oct-12 18:11:36

OP you need to move to Albert Square smile the café is always open

Brian If I'm honest I'm not actually sure what a market town is confused I thought they were like small cities like Oxford.

Are they a country thing? I only based what I said on going to a Wagamama the other week in Oxford blush (which I considered venturing to the country).

Am surprised you don't have Costa/Starbucks though, I was under the impression they had invaded everywhere, I can't spit without hitting one where I live.

BikeRunSki Wed 03-Oct-12 18:25:40

Oh you urban folk! I live in a village. Population about 2000. We have a transport cafe (haulage yard on edge of village). Various farm shops with cafes in surrounding villages. No Costa, Starbucks etc! We only got a Track Express last year.

BikeRunSki Wed 03-Oct-12 18:26:09

Track = Tesco

BrianButterfield Wed 03-Oct-12 18:33:39

Market town = rural town, population 10,000 (the one I work in), main road shuts one day a week for the market, about four surnames, everyone knows everyone else, nearest McDonald's or cinema is 15 miles away, nearest Starbucks 30 miles away. Am sure an application to open a chain would be regarded with the deepest suspicion, especially one that sells noodles.

frankie4 Wed 03-Oct-12 18:41:33

I worked in a cafe that opened at 7am for breakfasts. This meant leaving home at 6am. Then when we closed at 4pm it took about an hour to finish off cleaning the coffee machines, fridges etc so rarely left before 5pm - a long day!

frankie4 Wed 03-Oct-12 18:45:02

A chain cafe will normally be open long hours all day as it is paying staff to run it. Individual family run businesses can't normally do this as they have to be there themselves when open as can't afford to pay staff to keep it open when they are not there. So difficult to compete, which is why so many are closing down sad

OwlLady Wed 03-Oct-12 18:51:35

there are 6000 in my market town and we have bunting up and everything <rolls eyes>

we don't have anything commercial at all apart from a supermarket

it's all very country living magazine tbh. They even hand rabbits and pheasants freshly shot, outside the butchers

OwlLady Wed 03-Oct-12 18:52:17

hang, not hand!

can i just say i am not having a go at cafe owners, i am just sad I can't use them early evening when i have the desire to smile

margerykemp Wed 03-Oct-12 18:53:27

this is why i live in the city grin

GrimmaTheNome Wed 03-Oct-12 19:11:19

Its a real downer if you've been for a long walk and want a nice teashop at the end - the sort which abound in walking areas - to find its closed. Nowadays I suppose the pub will be open but I need a pot or mug of tea after a walk. And possibly a cake.

Annunziata Wed 03-Oct-12 19:15:35

It's impossible to keep these places going though, supermarkets have killed off a lot of custom with multi buy offers and big packets of sweets and crisps for a pound.

Plus utility bills and stock are eyewatering at the minute. Then wages. Then insurance. Then tax.

Same here, market town, we have Costa and Nero but those only have a very limited food selection of horrible prepacked stuff which they've probably run out of by then anyway. Our only food chain is Subway which is vile. The sports centre cafe stays open till about 7 but is 20 mins walk from town centre. We do have good independent cafes but all close by about 4.30.

NameChangeGalore Wed 03-Oct-12 19:28:46

We have an cafe/ice cream palour that's open until 11pm everyday. They make absolutely delectable ice cream waffles after 6pm. A waffle, with your favourite ice cream on top with cream and a sprinkle of almonds and caramel sauce. Sometimes we go there after dinner on the weekend for a coffee or ice cream.

If you ever come to my city, this is one place you HAVE to visit.

CaseyShraeger Wed 03-Oct-12 19:29:12

A family member owns a cafe. They are up and in work at stupid o'clock every morning to start the baking, then open fairly early for breakfast. Once they have closed at around 4.30 they are around for an hour or so more clearing up and cleaning, so they work a 12-hour-plus day most of the time. Staff are a huge overhead so they do as much of the work as possible themselves (also, where they are I doubt there'd be that much trade after 4.30 so the few people who did come in would have to eat a LOT of cake to justify the additional staff costs).

Dancergirl Wed 03-Oct-12 19:30:30

It was SAUSAGES and chips in The Tiger who came to tea (and ice cream)! smile

nailak Wed 03-Oct-12 19:32:42

dont cafes open early though? i remember getting fry ups on the way back from nights out, so before 6 am, and there would always be taxi drivers and stuff in them.

YouMayLogOut Wed 03-Oct-12 19:33:15

YANBU. Afternoon tea and cake is a fantastic English tradition and that's exactly when cafes should be open!

GrimmaTheNome Wed 03-Oct-12 19:34:55

>dont cafes open early though?
It depends what sort of cafe. The teashop-country-walk sort I think typically opens 10 or 10:30 for coffee.

CelstialNavigation Wed 03-Oct-12 19:35:07

We had a cafe in our city which was "closed for lunch" on a daily basis. At lunchtime. I don't know if it opened in the evenings. It appears to have gone out of business..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now