To ask why somepeople use the word mom on here?

(107 Posts)
Bubblemoon Wed 03-Oct-12 15:05:23

Mom?

BitOutOfPractice Thu 04-Oct-12 13:38:33

Chiles gets right on my last one becuase no matter what show he's presenting he has to mention West Bromwich Fucking Albion. Every. Single. Time <bitter>

When I saw the pictures of him and Catherine Tate in that park in LA I imagined he was giving her a talk on Jeff Astle hmm

SheepAreSuper Thu 04-Oct-12 13:36:32

Mom for me in Shropshire.
DP whose a scouser hates it.

gingercat12 Thu 04-Oct-12 12:35:12

My in-laws are from the Midlands, so Mom it is for us. Mind you, everyone always comments about it on Mumsnet. Are you American?

cheekybarsteward Thu 04-Oct-12 12:32:05

Chiles is the president of our village cricket club. He may have suffered a bat in the face.
We also have Jasper, Lenny and whatisfacesexistmosogynist bloke

SonOfAradia Thu 04-Oct-12 12:26:45

Mum or Mam in the East Midlands, Mom in the West, as far as I remember.

squoosh Thu 04-Oct-12 11:09:51

Apparently he's going out with Catherine Tate now, which I thought was a bit of an odd pairing.

BupcakesAndCunting Thu 04-Oct-12 11:06:49

Chiles was at some event that we went to last year.

I can confirm that he is more thin/tanned/less potato-faced IRL than he appears on telly.

squoosh Thu 04-Oct-12 11:03:21

Interesting. I thought better to ask a real living Black Country-er rather than Silicon Valley dwelling Google who has no affinity for the place smile

BitOutOfPractice Thu 04-Oct-12 11:02:10

Bupcakes, yow'm roight, ay it?

Think it's called the Black Country because it was where the industrial revolution started and was rather grimy as a consequence

And no, I can't stand chiles. He supports the tescos angry

BupcakesAndCunting Thu 04-Oct-12 11:02:02

LOL at Black Country Question Time^ grin

It's called the Black Country because it is/was very industrial. All the soot and slag ay it?

OwlLady Thu 04-Oct-12 11:01:13

It's called the black country because of the coal mining and the industrial revolution. But they think it was called the black country even earlier than the revolution as coal was very near surface so the ground was always black

I bet most of us on here from those areas are from mining familes (unless you were posh grin)

OwlLady Thu 04-Oct-12 10:58:10

Five always gives me away.

I was told the other day in my local co-op that i had a posh birmingham accent...hmm and I presume that is because I have the accent but don't talk in slang (anymorewink It was really weird though, we went to Barmouth in the summer and it is full of west midlanders and I could feel my accent coming back much strionger and I started to talk more broad blush

squoosh Thu 04-Oct-12 10:57:54

Why is it called the Black Country? Also, do you think Adrian Chiles is a good ambassador for your part of the world?

BupcakesAndCunting Thu 04-Oct-12 10:57:52

Tuth is how yam say it if yow'm a propa person ay it?!

BitOutOfPractice Thu 04-Oct-12 10:53:44

It's hard to write phonetically!

God I miss the Black Country sad I don't have a strong accent but get picked up on it all the time, usually by people with far stronger Essex accents

The one word that gives me away every time is tooth. I pronounce it "tuth" with a strong u sound, not toooooooth. Apparently that's hilarious <grim face>

thebody Thu 04-Oct-12 10:51:39

Because I live in Birmingham and that's what we say you patronising person( don't want to get deleted) what a stupid thread.

OwlLady Thu 04-Oct-12 10:51:06

Yow've gorra loff ay ya? coz if yow doe loff, yow'll cry

<wheezegrin>

CouthyMowWearingOrange Thu 04-Oct-12 10:50:23

My Scottish Granddad is Papa, and his dad (my Great Granddad) was Buppa. No clue why, but I can't call him my 'Great Granddad' even now he's been dead for 20 years. He always has been, and always will be, my Buppa.

BitOutOfPractice Thu 04-Oct-12 10:49:24

And I've taught my Essex kids a few phrases like

Yow've gorra loff ay ya? coz if yow doe loff, yow'll cry

BitOutOfPractice Thu 04-Oct-12 10:48:01

That link ay propa loike!

BupcakesAndCunting Thu 04-Oct-12 10:44:34

Allroight mom pass us them faggits and paes willya?

OwlLady, I love that Brummie translator. I typed in 'hello' and it translatied as 'Allroight'. It got bob-owler correct, as well.

PeshwariNaan Thu 04-Oct-12 10:39:41

I'm sure there are at least some Americans on here other than myself, and we generally say "mom." Though I have assimilated since I live in the UK and say "mum".

TiggerWearsATriteSmile Thu 04-Oct-12 10:36:33

Mom, mam, mama, all the one.

The only one that gets my wick is Mummy, they are a thing wrapped in bandages in my book.

OwlLady Thu 04-Oct-12 10:32:01

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now