To think that I'm not just getting old?

(94 Posts)
BrittaPerry Wed 03-Oct-12 11:49:15

My hips and pelvis ache, with the odd stabbing pain when I accidentally do a movement that I shouldn't - i spend a week limping every month. My finger joints get so stiff when cold that I keep dropping things/not being able to pick things up properly. I am so tired sometimes that I stagger.

I have booked a gp appointment, but DH keeps saying that everyone over 25 feels like this, and I should just get used to it. He reckons that i should just power through, and laughs when I take painkillers.

I'm only 27! Surely I don't have a life of this waiting?

BrittaPerry Mon 08-Oct-12 19:53:45

Weirdly, though, I feel great today smile

Just hoping that doesn't stop whatever it is from showing in my blood.

BrittaPerry Mon 08-Oct-12 19:50:00

I think one could have been ESR

fuzzpig Mon 08-Oct-12 15:40:14

The acronyms may have been ANA and ANCA? Those are more autoimmune tests anyway.

DameFannyGallopsAtaGhost Mon 08-Oct-12 15:21:01

Ok, so ferritin is your iron stores, auto immune I don't know, but I would guess they're looking for markers for RA our lupus (its never lupus). There are a fee different kinds from memory - stuff like esr - which is a something sedimentation rate, which is supposed to be higher of you have inflammation going on - was that one of them?

BrittaPerry Mon 08-Oct-12 12:54:36

Ok, so just been fr the blood tests.

Reading the screen on the computer, the doctor sats there are signs of synotosis (or something like that - its a new word to me). The blood tests were for foyr things, I think one was ferretin, another was auto immune, then the other two were acronyms that I have firgotten. The nurse said she has no idea what any if the tests are for. The notes also said 'if no diagnosis, refer to reumo?' Which I presume is arthritis.

Will google when I get home - having my lunch in weatherspoons so I actually eat real food and not just toast.

dysfunctionalme Sun 07-Oct-12 09:47:02

Well I think you have a lot to cope with, young children and pain and managing your bipolar condition. And I really hope you do one day find the time and motivation to seek a more holistic approach because it cannot be a good thing to be depending on ibuprofen etc. I know dietitians/naturopaths/acupuncture etc can seem airy fairy and expensive, but possibly after you've rummaged around the net a bit for ideas and advice, you may give it a try.

Good luck britta

glastocat Sat 06-Oct-12 22:10:07

I am 43 and fat, even. Bloody iPad.

glastocat Sat 06-Oct-12 22:05:27

I am and fat and don't feel that bad. Keep at your doc, something isn't right. And your husband is a dick.

CaliforniaLeaving Sat 06-Oct-12 21:59:53

You're not a wimp, it's not normal I hope you get answers soon.

BrittaPerry Sat 06-Oct-12 20:10:10

I hope so. Either way, it would stop me thinking that maybe I am a wimp...

Or at least stop me feeling like I am constantly moaning. I'm not, honest, but saying 'oh, my insert condition is playing up' sounds better than 'my arm hurts and I feel dizzy' one day and 'my hips are stiff and I'm tired' the next and so on.

Then again, I thought that about the bipolar...

fuzzpig Sat 06-Oct-12 19:52:30

Will having a proper diagnosis change that, will he stop saying you are a wimp?

BrittaPerry Sat 06-Oct-12 19:44:24

Because he thinks I'm a wimp.

He is being nice today, he is nice a lot of the time, but then he will say he 'always knew' I was exaggerating. Sigh.

But that is a whole other subject.

fuzzpig Sat 06-Oct-12 19:36:55

Forgotten what you'd said in your OP about DH laughing when you take tablets. Why does he do that?!

monsterchild Sat 06-Oct-12 19:32:13

OP I am 7 months pregnant at 41 and I don't feel like you describe! GP to find out what's going on.
Your symptoms sound a lot like my friend who was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. She has had treatment and is fine now!

Goldenjubilee10 Sat 06-Oct-12 19:28:28

Why do people post advice when they clearly haven't read the whole post? I hope you get to the bottom of it OP.

ouryve Sat 06-Oct-12 19:26:07

Re people having pain that's worse before and during a period - that's because your ligaments are softer and stretchier before a period and support your joints less well. I had to go for a course of hydrotherapy, last year, after being diagnosed with hypermobility syndrome after a dramatic worsening of pain I'd had all my adult life. I was in the pool with people mostly 20 or 30 years older than me and before my period I was struggling with the really simple exercises that the older people were managing just fine and that's when the physio explained the ligament softening to me. I'm in pain all the time, to some extent, but before my period, I can wrench a joint just sitting still.

ouryve Sat 06-Oct-12 19:17:25

I do have joint problems but didn't feel that bad, that constantly at 27.

Definitely see your GP. There's all sorts of reasons why you could be feeling this way. It could be a thyroid problems, it could be a nutritional deficiency eg iron, B12 or Vitamin D (it has been a dark summer) or it could be the result of a virus or an actual muscoloskeletal problem. At any rate, such severe debilitation when you're normally fit and strong isn't just normal for over 25 any more than being such an insensitive, dismissive dick isn't necessarily normal for being male.

CecilyP Sat 06-Oct-12 19:10:59

No, I am more than twice your age and am not experiencing your symptoms. You really need to see your GP. And I am tempted to say to get a more sympathetic DH.

redwallday Sat 06-Oct-12 19:09:31

My sister felt like this and was eventually diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. It's actually an autoimmune condition and makes you feel exhausted. I suggest you ask your doctor for a full arthritis screening blood test.

fuzzpig Sat 06-Oct-12 19:06:21

What do you mean DH making fun? As in the 'you are getting old' thing?

Unfortunately it is generally not a good idea to use painkillers regularly for a long time as they get less effective and often create their own symptoms like rebound headaches.

I hope you get to the bottom of this. I am about 18 months into chronic pain/fatigue, it has been a lot worse in the last few months and I am now expecting an official diagnosis of CFS/ME next month <yay>

LesleyPumpshaft Sat 06-Oct-12 19:03:14

Ibuprofen isn't good to use for an extended period of time. It's not a very nice drug.

BrittaPerry Sat 06-Oct-12 18:46:12

Argh, so, since you lot reassured me that I'm not making a fuss, I've been takin ibuprofen fairly regulary, rather than having to resort t coedine (and dh making fun) when it gets awful.

Which has been working surprisinly well - still getting pain, but at least I culd move about and pick things up fairly normally.

But, my left hand is currently stinging and aching and stiff, despite ibuprofen.

I swear this is getting worse daily now.

LesleyPumpshaft Sat 06-Oct-12 06:22:03

It's not just your age. I had a chronic kidney infection and the mother of all kidney stones. I felt really rotten for years and had a bad back. I remember thinking that maybe that was how everyone felt as they approached/hit 30.

Anyway, I started passing blood and was diagnosed. Fast forward 3 years, multiple surgeries, the indignity of a nephrostomy and all kinds of horrors, they removed the offending organ.

basically, you need to get it checked out. If you leave it, it might get worse.

dysfunctionalme Sat 06-Oct-12 01:24:13

Britta the mood stabiliser, yes, and the iron supplement sounds sensible. But you shouldn't be needing so many painkillers. There is probably a way to deal with your pain through diet and/or physio/osteopathy.

It might be worth flicking through the site of the British Dietetic Association for some ideas on where to start.

You are too young to be dependent on painkillers, I think you deserve more. Good luck

piprabbit Fri 05-Oct-12 18:26:22

I have Lupus and my sister is a Coeliac - when we told my rheumy consultant, he didn't seem surprised. He said it was two sides of the same coin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now