To think that I'm not just getting old?

(94 Posts)
BrittaPerry Wed 03-Oct-12 11:49:15

My hips and pelvis ache, with the odd stabbing pain when I accidentally do a movement that I shouldn't - i spend a week limping every month. My finger joints get so stiff when cold that I keep dropping things/not being able to pick things up properly. I am so tired sometimes that I stagger.

I have booked a gp appointment, but DH keeps saying that everyone over 25 feels like this, and I should just get used to it. He reckons that i should just power through, and laughs when I take painkillers.

I'm only 27! Surely I don't have a life of this waiting?

sugarice Wed 03-Oct-12 12:26:24

I meant to say , I'm 44 and don't ache at all and I walk miles most days. Your symtoms aren't age related at 27. Have you been checked for arthritis?

footphobic Wed 03-Oct-12 12:29:02

Calcium deficiency can also cause all the symptoms you describe. Worth mentioning to GP, though I imagine they would routinely check this anyway given the symptoms.

GeneHuntsMistress Wed 03-Oct-12 12:33:40

Endometriosis

all your symptoms are classic, except the cold fingers

Disclaimer -
I'm no doctor

WhoAteTheLastBrownie Wed 03-Oct-12 12:36:03

Bloody hell I thought you were going to say you were 55+ or something. I'm 44 and don't feel that way at all!

BrittaPerry Wed 03-Oct-12 14:05:40

Will mention all this tomorrow at the gp.

I should have said, I went a few months ago for being tired, and she gave me an iron supplement, which seemed to help at first, but not ver much.

Could thyroid problems be missed in a blood test? I have no idea if the test before I got the iron included thyroid, but it was definitely tested last year, as I nearly started on lithium (they couldn't give it me for other reasons in the end - Im on a different mood stabiliser) but they couldn't start it till I had my thyroid tested.

DameFanny Wed 03-Oct-12 14:14:25

Thyroid can be missed as there's a wide range of response to what seems like a normal result - you can be quite ill but within range for tests, especially if you're somewhere that says up to 5 is normal.

If you're on heavy duty meds as well, have you checked for side effects on those?

Oh what do I know! See your doctor, tell them everything and good luck

BrittaPerry Wed 03-Oct-12 14:15:17

I'm self employed, so my work equipment consists of bike and trailer which together cost £50, a 'paperboy' style shoulder bag and an oldlady shopping trolley...

Hair has got 'bigger' (ie it was wispy, now it practically stands on end) whilst also shedding like a cat.

Limping is before and during my period, but this month it just hasn't stopped and has got worse.

sittinginthesun Wed 03-Oct-12 14:19:29

I have all these symptoms too, and have done for years.

I did have thyroid problems after my last pregnancy, but these are all sorted now, and annual tests show my levels are normal.

I have felt much better after starting a Vitamin D supplement, so that might be worth a try.

Oh, and my GP tested me endlessly (although, I'm not sure about the Vitamin D thing), and never found anything other than the thyroidsad

VintageEbonyGuitar Wed 03-Oct-12 14:44:45

Could well be a side effect, I've been on ad's and some of them made exercise impossible. Some can stop certain nutrients being absorbed too.

You can get a bike shop to check your seat and consider a two shoulder bag (distributes weight evenly) camping type bag with pads and front fastenings. Possibly a push trolley rather than a pull, again for weight distribution, a pull along will drag on one side.

Definitely get checked, can you offset it against expenses?

Lueji Wed 03-Oct-12 14:47:02

Leave the old bastard!

More seriously, it's not normal and I'm sure your DH doesn't ache like you.

He might have a point if you were over 60!

catstail Thu 04-Oct-12 00:00:49

Let us know how you get on

MardyArsedMidlander Thu 04-Oct-12 08:33:00

Ask your doctor to check for an autoimmune disease. I have all these symptoms- and was diagnosed with systemic sclerodermas 5 years ago.

It's also Lupus Awareness Month- a disease related to mine, known as 'The Great Deceiver' because of the wide range of symptoms.
It took me five years to get diagnosed as my then GP kept putting it down to tiredness/ depression/ psychosomatic.
I also have very cold fingers due to raynaud's syndrome- which is an early indicator.

margerykemp Thu 04-Oct-12 08:46:00

You could have an autoimmune disease of the joints which could have been triggered by pregnancy. This would explain joint problems in someone do young. There is often a genetic connection with these things. Did any of your relatives have similar symptoms, especially young or after pregnancy?

You may need more specific blood tests or possibly an x ray.

BrittaPerry Thu 04-Oct-12 09:06:27

Yesterday I ended up getting a shopping trolley from the supermarket just to lean on while shopping :-(

My ideal outcome would be it being somehow related to all my other medical complaints. I feel like people are rolling their eyes every time I say I have a problem.

If I could just say 'I have x' then it would be a lot easier.

I don't think my relatives have joint problems. My mum says she creaks when she forgets her HRT though.

My sister has a heart murmur and her fingers, toes and lips go blue in the cold. She hasnt' really investigated why, though - my mum took her o the gp when she was little and he said she woukd only go blue if she was dead hmm

I'm the only one of my sisters who sn't very skinny, but then I was skinny till I had kids and had two years on anti psychotics and went from size 8 to 18 in six months, despite having sprung back after pregnancy. I'm now 12/14, which is the same size as my mum.

Lulu1984 Thu 04-Oct-12 09:16:22

I'm 27 as well and the last 6 mths I've had hip/pelvis pain. I went to see my GP in June and described it felt like SPD and he was really rude and asked sarcastically if I was just after strong pain killers. I felt really put out and insulted and haven't bothered going back so would like to know what your GP says.

I have noticed since that mine is around my period also for about a week and it is very painful to walk on.

MardyArsedMidlander Thu 04-Oct-12 09:51:15

'My ideal outcome would be it being somehow related to all my other medical complaints. I feel like people are rolling their eyes every time I say I have a problem.
If I could just say 'I have x' then it would be a lot easier.'

YY to all the above. before I was diagnosed, I was having loads of bizarre seemingly unrelated symptoms. A 'friend'- who is no longer a friend- said 'Oh you always seem to have Something don't you?!' angry

Soditall Thu 04-Oct-12 10:14:57

I would get checked out for Lupus if I was you and don't just let the Dr's fob you off if you aren't happy ask to see another Dr it's well with in your rights.

BrittaPerry Thu 04-Oct-12 10:27:59

In waiting room now. Will update.

fuzzpig Thu 04-Oct-12 10:30:21

You need lots of blood tests done. The doctor must not just let you continue to be in pain, some of the doctors I've read about on MN are really shocking. Don't let them fob you off!

Best of luck x

mrsminerva Thu 04-Oct-12 11:02:58

I'm mid 50s and I get less aches and pains than the OP. I think she should see her GP pronto.

mrsminerva Thu 04-Oct-12 11:05:17

Rough, coarse hair and coldness are classic symptoms of an underactive thyroid, which can be dangerous if not diagnosed, so get checked please.

VintageEbonyGuitar Thu 04-Oct-12 11:16:50

I have a connective tissue disorder and was tested for lupus/marfans/raynauds. It is easier having a diagnosis but you will still find people are judgemental about it.

Hope the gp listens, if not then ask for a second opinion. There are some good auto immune doctors but tend to be private and a fight to get treatment on the nhs.

DameFanny Thu 04-Oct-12 11:31:16

Vintage - can I ask what you have please? if not one if the usual suspects?

eurochick Thu 04-Oct-12 11:35:38

Thyroid does sound like a likely candidate.

Also, is your smear up to date? If not, get that done too (because of the pelvic pain).

MardyArsedMidlander Thu 04-Oct-12 11:50:20

'but you will still find people are judgemental about it.'

Oh yes. I want to have a badge that says 'I am not drunk and have tried every alternative method you can think of'. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now