To be shocked to learn that a teaching assistant take drugs at the weekend?

(236 Posts)
LesleyPumpshaft Tue 02-Oct-12 12:17:44

Like the thread title says. Found out she takes cocaine and E's when she her family have her kids, so does her boyfriend, the rest of the time she is a complete piss-head.

She has also kids and lots of people seem to like her. She has not been sacked, so is obviously doing her job at the school.

None of my business what she gets up to I know, but AIU or naive to be rather shocked by this revelation? confused

LesleyPumpshaft Tue 02-Oct-12 12:21:02

Sorry, just seen my shitty typing. Doh!

WorraLiberty Tue 02-Oct-12 12:22:23

Why are you shocked?

Do you think only 'non professionals' take recreational drugs and alcohol? confused

Anyway, where are you getting this gossip from?

AmberLeaf Tue 02-Oct-12 12:23:27

I think you may be surprised by what all sorts of people get up to at the weekend!

How did you find out?

squeakytoy Tue 02-Oct-12 12:23:52

So long as she does her job well, I dont see what business of your, or anyone elses, her private life is.

manicinsomniac Tue 02-Oct-12 12:24:02

YABU, she's a person, not a saint.

I'm a teacher and I used to take drugs.

Yes it was stupid, dangerous, illegal and wrong. But it was no more wrong because of my job.

If she was turning up to work high or on a comedown that would be different.

Stinkyminkymoo Tue 02-Oct-12 12:25:30

Better drugs than your daughter though...

LesleyPumpshaft Tue 02-Oct-12 12:27:09

I don't want to give specific details about the person, as that's not on. I suppose the thing that shocks me the most is the age. I understand that lots of people go through a phase of 'experimenting'. Usually at Uni etc.

I'm just a bit shocked. More shocked by the fact that someone can put up with being in a class room on a Monday after a weekend bender. I have 2 day hangovers these days.

As long as she turns up to school sober and does her job it' s nobody's business what she gets up to in her free time.

Who told you though?

LesleyPumpshaft Tue 02-Oct-12 12:28:08

It's not like they make a secret of the fact.

cozietoesie Tue 02-Oct-12 12:28:58

Coke and E would make me a bit hmm because it's difficult in practice to limit the effect of those if they're taken late in the weekend/use can escalate. I'd also be concerned if she was a serious alcohol drinker all the time out of school. The effects of that really can linger on.

booomy Tue 02-Oct-12 12:29:14

I would say that what she does at the weekend is her own business.

BUT before I had DS, I took a lot of drugs at uni. drugs aren't like alcohol. It's not a matter of okay, hangover over, I'm fine. If I took a dodgy pill (and considering you buy them off someone who's name you don't know who made them in their kitchen, most are dodgy) then the effects often lasted days. Including hallucinations and depression.

My agreement that you YANBU is because I think the effects can last longer than a weekend, therefore she isn't fit to be in charge of children, no matter how she seems on the outside, lots of my friends worked in supermarket jobs at a weekend, having taken ketamine or cocaine a few hours before. You can appear normal, but be incredibly unpredicatble!

VikingVagine Tue 02-Oct-12 12:30:34

I'm a teacher, about 1/4 of my colleagues smoke cannabis (out of school, obviously). It doesn't make them bad teachers.

<shrugs>

cozietoesie Tue 02-Oct-12 12:30:59

Does she have any duties driving children ? (eg to swimming or activities.)

MrsKeithRichards Tue 02-Oct-12 12:32:28

I'm intrigued as to how you know.

If anything it's the 'complete piss head' bit that concerns me more because if she's drinking heavily midweek that's bound to affect her ability. If by complete piss head you mean she indulges at weekends I don't see an issue with any of it.

LesleyPumpshaft Tue 02-Oct-12 12:32:53

Some people just seem to have strong constitutions though. I'm a one pint wonder, but perhaps others can give their bodies a total battering and be fine.

I am just a bit shocked.

Viviennemary Tue 02-Oct-12 12:34:28

Well I for one wouldn't be happy if a drug taker was teaching my child. Sorry.

booomy Tue 02-Oct-12 12:34:29

viking have you ever smoked cannabis yourself? I used to a lot,and after a while it doesn't just affect you when your doing it! It creeps into the rest of your life with paranoia etc.

Viviennemary Tue 02-Oct-12 12:35:27

And taking Cocaine is illegal. She should be reported. I thought all this checking was meant to prevent people like this working in schools. Otherwise what on earth is the point.

LesleyPumpshaft Tue 02-Oct-12 12:36:20

Cannabis is a tad different to coke and e's though. I know lots of people who smoke it, although I don't partake myself.

MrsKeithRichards Tue 02-Oct-12 12:38:55

Viv all a criminal check does is ensure you haven't been caught doing anything illegal.

How on earth do you know?

I understand your concern to be honest as cocaine and E's affect behaviour surely. The come down must leave her not feeling her best. Drug users usually take more risks and often regard the drug taking as a high priority.

Nah, I totally agree that what any one does when not at work is there own buisines, illegal behaviour that effects health, behaviour etc would make me uneasy. Especially if they were involved in teaching my child.

freddiefrog Tue 02-Oct-12 12:39:50

I don't think I'd be too keen if my kids had a drug taking/complete piss head TA if I'm honest, but what she does in her private life, on her own time, provided it's not affecting her work, is her business

waterlego Tue 02-Oct-12 12:40:43

Viv, how on earth can you expect a criminal records check to reveal what drugs a person has taken, and when? What on earth does 'people like this' mean? You sound incredibly naive.

LesleyPumpshaft Tue 02-Oct-12 12:41:20

Don't get me wrong, I think what she gets up to is her business. But seriously, who in their right mind would want to work in a school on a come down?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now