To ask if anyone is doing Stoptoper?

(102 Posts)
KellyElly Sat 29-Sep-12 23:58:12

I.Am and. Will need some support come Momday. Who is with me???

Good luck for day three.

Kelly I think we're doing really well. I've never heard of champix so I don't know what it does. I used a throat spray last time but it gave me severe and painful hiccups. I have an e-cig this time and it's brilliant.

QueefLatina Wed 03-Oct-12 15:23:28

I was struggling so I read Allen Carr's how to stop smoking book. I'm looking at quitting from a different perspective now.

I really understood where he was coming from and there were some real revelations, like that smokers smoke to achieve the state of relaxation/confidence whatever that non smokers feel all the time! Fags don't make you feel better, their absence makes you feel worse so you have to smoke to make you feel normal again!

It probably seems obvious to everyone else but me! I had led myself to believe that non smokers were missing out. What a twat I am/was!

I don't feel deprived now

Anyway. Nice one you lot. Stay smug! grin

KellyElly Thu 04-Oct-12 15:28:59

How's everyone doing smile

I'm doing well and so is dh. How about you? How is the inhaler?

DogsCock Thu 04-Oct-12 17:01:21

Am on day 4, found it a bit difficult, but walked the dogs twice and did loads of gardening. Chewing nicotine gum. Have an e cig on charge, but not needed it yet.

I honestly don't think I'd have made it this far without mine. The really stupid thing is that I gave up with every pregnancy (3), cold turkey and no cravings. I know I can do it.

DogsCock Thu 04-Oct-12 17:14:43

I have my e cig as a last resort. It is for when I am about to go straight back on the fags, like a safety net. Before that I have gum, then lozenges (slightly stronger than the gum).

Weirdly I also keep real fags. This is because I know if it came down to it I could have one and feel safer in that knowledge, whereas others need to have got rid.

My mind is also focussed at present on Stoptober ONLY. The thought of never ever having a cig is too much for me, but when I get to the end of the month I hope to then take each day one step at a time. I managed 7 months off the fags recently, so I can do it.

LesleyPumpshaft Thu 04-Oct-12 17:57:08

Has anyone tried Zyban or Champix, or are you trying it now?

WanderingWhistle Thu 04-Oct-12 17:58:29

I feel really deprived, like I've given up my head or something!

DogsCock Thu 04-Oct-12 18:00:29

I did zyban in the past. It worked as in I really didn't want to smoke but it set me off in itchy hives, so that was that.

People on champix whom I know say it is very good.

LesleyPumpshaft Thu 04-Oct-12 18:03:46

Thanks DogsCock I've missed the start date for Stoptober, as I could only get an appointment with the smoking nurse tomorrow. Attempts to quit with nrt and going cold turkey have failed miserably.

I'm not sure if I would be suitable for Champix or Zyban for me as I have one kidney. If not, I will probably pay for hypnosis.

DogsCock Thu 04-Oct-12 18:07:43

I feel your pain. It is a total nightmare this first bit. Then comes the day when you start not to think about it and realise you have done x amount of hours without even realising. That is a good feeling.

QueefLatina Thu 04-Oct-12 18:53:07

Try Allen Carr's 'easyway to stop smoking'. I'm not the only one on this thread to recommend it.

I have not smoked for a few days now and usually I would be feeling very deprived and sorry for myself. I'd be looking for an excuse to have just one!

Not this time, I feel fine so far, no idea how it works though!

I never go my stoptober pack either.

Keep going everyone!

My stoptober pack arrived today but I've not had the chance to look at it yet.

KellyElly Thu 04-Oct-12 19:07:15

Doing quite well. The inhailor is really working for me.

Itsnotahoover Thu 04-Oct-12 19:08:40

I decided to do this, but have given in a few times this week blush However I've only smoked 10 since Sunday as oppose to 20 a day, so I'm proud of myself! I've been using an ecig and gum and I'm finding it easy at work, but its that one in the morning and last one at night that I'm struggling with!

LesleyPumpshaft Thu 04-Oct-12 19:13:58

What are the ecigs like? Been thinking of getting them, but have no idea about which brands are the best.

DogsCock Thu 04-Oct-12 19:14:25

ItsNotaHoover - 10 over the week is pretty good going compared to 20 per day.

Anyone tried that mouth spray? Fucking hell it is vile. A mate of mine gave me a squirt. I was gagging.

Glad it's working Kelly. smile

Great improvement Itsnotahoover. They're the ones that get me too. Try putting the morning one off by 5 extra minutes every day and bringing the last one earlier. It does work.

DogsCock I couldn't stand the spray as it gave me the most painful and violent hiccups.

Lesley the ecig works for me. Especially as I would never use it in public because I feel like an idiot.

DogsCock Thu 04-Oct-12 19:21:53

I thnk my ecig was from somewhere like miniciggy.com or something like that. Bought it over a year ago and have used it on and off. Probably not the best oneon the market as sometimes one gets a big puff with it hitting the right areas and other times a puff with nothing to it.

Which would others recommend and I might treat myself to a new one.

DogsCock Thu 04-Oct-12 19:22:23

I want one which hits the back of the throat and emits a nice big plume of 'smoke'

LesleyPumpshaft Thu 04-Oct-12 19:31:20

Thanks smile, I'm looking for one that hits the back of the throat too. My fella siad he had one, but I won't be falling for that one again. angry

grin

But, anyway, one that comes as close as possible to a real life smokey cigarette.

doinmummy Thu 04-Oct-12 19:33:36

I gave up10 weeks ago . I started with Champix but decided to go cold turkey. I found the most important thing has been my mindset . I still want a fag but really really tell myself off " don't be ridiculous you DO NOT smoke so why would you want a fag?" good luck everyone x

Well done doinmummy. smile

My ecig is called Ten Motives. It's from tesco. It does hit the back of your throat, especially the first pull and it has good smoke too. It's not rechargeable and costs about £6.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now