To ask if anyone is doing Stoptoper?

(102 Posts)
KellyElly Sat 29-Sep-12 23:58:12

I.Am and. Will need some support come Momday. Who is with me???

mumsknots Sun 30-Sep-12 18:53:42

Me too, trying yet again to give the bloody things up!

In the last 5 years I've given up twice for a year at a time but stupidly convinced myself that I could have the occasional one and before I knew it I was back up to 10 a day.

I'm dreading the initial light-headed, nauseous, irritable, mood swinging being I become but once I'm over the 2wk mark it gets easier.

Good luck everyone!

sausagesandwich34 Sun 30-Sep-12 18:55:59

well I've now gone since 9pm on friday

massive PMS type symptoms but I've saved £8!

OldGreyWiffleTest Sun 30-Sep-12 18:57:34

Nope OP.

ScienceOfSellingYouselfShort Sun 30-Sep-12 18:58:31

I'm doing it too (along with DP) but started today. I bought myself an e-cig earlier, knew my first big 'test' would be after dinner but I used it and I'm fine!

Day one nearly over! Sending good luck to everyone who takes part. I shall be avoiding the wine for the first few weeks!

McHappyPants2012 Sun 30-Sep-12 18:58:37

GOOD LUCK.

I am behind you all 100% I know how hard it is.

Vagabond Sun 30-Sep-12 19:00:14

Count me in too. Am smoking like a fiend tonight though. Tomorrow shall be the start of a new era. No more freezing on my porch for a start. And happier family members.

Chundle Sun 30-Sep-12 19:09:57

I still haven't got my stoptober kit I applied for!! I do have an ecig though and a nicotine inhaler which I find are good. I find paches rubbish. Am desperate to quit

I haven't got the kit either. Dh is doing it too and for the last couple of weeks we've stopped the first one of the morning so I know the craving won't hit first thing.

Good luck everyone. smile

KateSpade Sun 30-Sep-12 21:00:24

I am planning on doing it, or at least cutting down as much as i can, to save money if anything else.

Worra I had one of those E-lights, but it leaked all over and smelt foul, so that went straight away in a drawer! My aim is to get another one, and start by alternating between fag & E-cig.

WorraLiberty Sun 30-Sep-12 21:31:42

Ohh I hadn't considered the filters leaking?! shock

But the alternating definitely worked for me.

KellyElly Sun 30-Sep-12 21:38:05

I didn't get my kit either and the website has not been working properly when I've tried to use it! Good luck to everyone for tomorrow. Just smoked my last one and ripped the ones left in the packet up so there's no temptation tomorrow morning smile

Skellig Sun 30-Sep-12 23:42:05

I used the Alan Carr Easyway book to stop and it was fantastic. DH also used this method; he was on 40 a day and just stopped cold and never went back.

Good luck everyone - you can do it! smile

Jux Mon 01-Oct-12 00:34:07

My brother turned up one Xmas with an efag - he was the most determined smoker you could hope to meet. That was Xmas 2008 or maybe 2007. Come February he had finished the pack of 20 he had had when the efag arrived. He never smoked another cigarette.

KellyElly Mon 01-Oct-12 10:25:23

Started cold turkey today. It's ok, you can ride the cravings but I have got a headache and feel a bit emotional and would die for a fag right now. Not going to break though!

Well done KellyElly. I tried cold turkey and got really emotional too. I just felt so sorry for myself and wanted to cry.

Just think though, this time tomorrow you'll have done more than 24hrs!! How cool is that. You'll be even more determined then because you'll have proved to yourself you can go all day without one.

Keep it up. You're doing great!!

PutABellOnMe Mon 01-Oct-12 12:35:35

I went cold turkey last October after trying to cut down several times, first three days were awful but I managed to keep off of them. Now I haven't smoked in a year and it was absolutely the best decision I ever made. Good luck!

WanderingWhistle Mon 01-Oct-12 12:41:16

kelly would die for a fag?? Rather appropriate choice of words, hehe.

I had my last at 7am this morning.
I have been chewing the gum all morning and it's making it way easier.
I've not felt weird once.

I did get a image of a fag in my mind .. and thought ah! This is my addiction trying to dupe me!
So I had a gum.

My getting in the car fag will be missed though.

Well done everyone!!!!

WanderingWhistle Mon 01-Oct-12 12:42:53

One thing .. do I get a E-Cig?
I think my main thing is the habit of having it in my hand. Which the E-Cig will perpetuate.

Not sure.
Any opinions?

You could get one but not open it. I know someone who bought one just in case. She never needed it but felt better knowing it was there.

When she felt more secure she passed it on to someone else who was quitting.

SinisterBuggyMonth Mon 01-Oct-12 13:17:06

I stopped years ago but considering the huge fucking barage of stress I'm under today I might actually make it StartOber instead

KellyElly Mon 01-Oct-12 14:06:46

grin Sinister

How did everyone get on today?

I've found it not too bad but I did have a couple of really bad 1/2 hrs.

KellyElly Mon 01-Oct-12 19:57:05

Me too. Its been quite hard. I've been a bit moody as well smile

Good morning everyone. I just wanted to say good luck for day 2.

Dh and I managed to get through the evening without killing each other but it was a close one. We were being really polite to each other but I know I was feeling very irritable. It took a lot to hold my tongue.

KellyElly Tue 02-Oct-12 18:35:49

I have been near to cracking so went to the docs to get some help. I tried the mouth spray and was sick in the sink at the doctors surgery lol. I wouldn't recommend that. I've got the inhalers so going to try them. If they don't suit me I'm going to try champix (I think its called). Good luck to everyone. Hope u are all doing better than me smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now