To hate net curtains?

(71 Posts)
Shutupanddrive Mon 27-Aug-12 10:41:02

We have recently moved house and our lounge overlooks a road. Dp wants to get net curtains, but I hate them and think they look like something my gran would have. Anyone else agree?

Kladdkaka Mon 27-Aug-12 10:42:21

Do you mean net net curtains or sheer fabric type net curtains. The latter are ok.

JumpingThroughMoreHoops Mon 27-Aug-12 10:42:59

Blinds are much nicer.

onedev Mon 27-Aug-12 10:43:06

I hate net curtains too!

BonkeyMollocks Mon 27-Aug-12 10:43:17

I hate them too, but I have them.

Too many people nosey in if we don't and it makes me uncomfortable!

HorraceTheOtter Mon 27-Aug-12 10:43:58

Agree! They're disgusting... put stick on frosted glass type stuff on the bottom half of our windows just to avoid nets.

Shutupanddrive Mon 27-Aug-12 10:44:54

Are the sheer ones better? I'll go and look them up. Dp phoned me from a shop that sells them to describe some flowery ones that sounded awful. Says there were no plain ones there hmm

TheMysteryCat Mon 27-Aug-12 10:45:37

Yanbu. They are vile and only good for using as cloches in the garden

CantSleepTonight Mon 27-Aug-12 10:46:30

YANBU but still to find a suitable alternative...wooden blinds are ok but a bit 'officey' (and usually block out loads of light)

I'm thinking of trying something like www.brume.co.uk/c/4/street-facing-windows

EarnestDullard Mon 27-Aug-12 10:48:21

We have a plain voile curtain like this in our bedroom as the window is too wide for blinds. I prefer blinds, but plain voile is better than lacey nets imo.

Movingout Mon 27-Aug-12 10:50:03

The cream wooden blinds from Ikea are nice, quite wide slats so let in a nice dappled light. Just don't get the vertical blinds, worse than nets in my opinion.

Trills Mon 27-Aug-12 10:50:52

You don't want net, you want a sheer gauzy material.

It makes s huge difference, people can't see in (unless you have the lights on and it is dark outside).

toboldlygo Mon 27-Aug-12 10:51:04

Ikea do plain voile type ones for something like £2.99, you just cut to size. No flowery lace!

Shutupanddrive Mon 27-Aug-12 10:51:35

Thanks for links and ideas, am going to look them up now. Glad it's not just me that hates them smile

Trills Mon 27-Aug-12 10:51:44

I say this having recently moved from a street where the houses were right on the pavement, and nosey bugger that I am I peered glanced in all the windows as I went past to see how their houses were differently-laid out to ours.

Shutupanddrive Mon 27-Aug-12 10:55:17

I always look through windows as I'm horse riding, the perfect height! There is a small garden first, then a path with a verge and a pavement, so not right on the road. Someone did wave to me as I was stood in the window and they drove past the other day though! shock

sashh Mon 27-Aug-12 10:56:49

I have sort of voile curtains, I say almost because I went tothe Indian material shop where the material is sold in suit legnths, so my curtains are the material a suite would be made from and the voils are actually flimsy headscarf material.

If you google 'dupatta fabric' yo will get an idea. They come in all colours, some printed or painted with patterns, some with crystals, some completly plain

TellyBug Mon 27-Aug-12 10:59:04

YANBU. I like the fake frosting. A house round here has it on their living room windows. Looks great.

Malificence Mon 27-Aug-12 11:00:28

I've got a massive, 14 ft wide window in the living room and blinds would cost an absolute fortune, it's like being in a fishbowl if we have nothing up at the window so I've got some hotel style heavyweight voile in a natural linen colour, it cost £60 from Terrys fabric, instead of £300 from Debenhams for almost identical stuff.

Latara Mon 27-Aug-12 11:20:32

I've got nets; so have most of my neighbours; i found ones with a butterfly pattern so no flowers!! Also i cut them in half (& put neat seams on the edges) so that i can fasten one or both panels back if i want to.

Personally i just like the privacy; blinds were too expensive; nets were £6 per window - there were voiles & gauzes of various colours in the curtain shop too; probably u can get them in most curtain shops.

CanoeSlalom Mon 27-Aug-12 11:21:57

YANBU. Blinds are much nicer.

Binkybix Mon 27-Aug-12 11:34:32

I dislike them too! We have the ground floor flat in a converted house with two flats and the upstairs neighbours have them. Their choice of course, but it does make the front of the house less attractive.

We got slatted shutters in the front bay windows. I wasn't sure at first but they're great, and really versatile. You can have the bottom ones shut to get privacy and get the light in from the top, or have the bottom slats half open to get more light and you still can't see in.

BrianCoxIsUpTheDuff Mon 27-Aug-12 11:41:50

I have nothing in my window at the moment and I hate it!

I have had lovely nets in the past, but I make sure they are hung correctly and washed (not left to turn off-white through dust!) there is a family down my street who are heavy smokers, how do I know? The once 'white' nets are now nicotine stained yellow!

I hate, hate, hate, vertical blinds with a passion - they should be kept in offices and dental waiting rooms only.

I love vertical blinds, th wooden kind, but my window is massive and any kind of blind is just too expensive.

Winter approaches so I'm busy looking for nets.

sashh thanks for that info, I think I will investigate further, they sound lovely!

TraineeBabyCatcher Mon 27-Aug-12 11:43:03

We had voiles. I hate them and net curtains but we live straight onto a pathway and originally had very open fencing at the front and rear.
Since we moved in all the boundaries have been replaced with massively more private fencing so we got rid of the voiles and put up with the odd nosey person now.

TraineeBabyCatcher Mon 27-Aug-12 11:44:46

We want horizontal blinds but have massive windows in the front of the house and blinds would be £200+ for each room for decent ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now