Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Would I be unreasonable to dress dd as a uterus?

(120 Posts)
BigOldFanny Wed 22-Aug-12 14:10:22

The Republican National Convention is going to be held very close to where I live... I'm thinking of going to protest and dressing up dd as a model of the female reproductive system... I'm slightly concerned about there being trouble there though and about using her when she's too young to have an opinion on anything herself (even though this will affect her long term). Is it wrong?

Want2bSupermum Fri 24-Aug-12 14:55:31

Well I am in NJ and the vast majority of people think the congressman is a bad joke. The first four responses on our local discussion board were 'WTF', 'I can't believe it', 'He's an effing idiot.' and 'I realize this was probably a soft interview, but the interviewer shouldn't let people get away with saying things like that on TV. Maybe he corrected him later in the clip, maybe not. But there's just no excuse for not interjecting with a correction/clarification.'

Americans not stupid and are not going to support this guy. At every level Republicans have hammered this knucklehead and rightly so.

fridakahlo Fri 24-Aug-12 15:17:11

It is Womens Equality Day this Sunday and can I find any celebrations/marches in NJ.
Nope, not a single one. Want to be, do you know of any?

CassCade Fri 24-Aug-12 15:31:29

Ah, thank you, aufaniae! Now I remember, it was a long time ago that I read it. And isn't everything justified with religion?! Can't be proved or dis-proved then, can it?

Do not like this term 'pre-born children' - referring to the embryo as a 'child' from the second that it is conceived. It is an embryo, not a child.

Are eggs 'pre-born chickens?'

OurLadyOfTheUpsideDown Fri 24-Aug-12 16:44:02
BigOldFanny Fri 24-Aug-12 17:04:21

That hat is brilliant grin
Have spent the day working myself up over some of the bullshit spouted. When you consider a law that is in theory designed to make abusing a woman and causing a miscarriage illegal you can't help but think, hey great idea (domestic violence often begins with pregnancy). Then you read that its been used against 300 women.. and one man.

We really are more than just walking vaginas.

OurLadyOfTheUpsideDown Fri 24-Aug-12 20:13:08

I choose to believe Princess Beatrice wore that hat to the Royal wedding as a poignant reminder to us all that Kate Middleton basically is a walking womb...

But, back to the issue at hand... the only reservation I'd have about taking your DD along would be if anything potentially frightening happened around her, like people being verbally abusive to you. I also have a two year old and I know how sensitive he is to any kind of antagonism. I really like the placard idea.

But, I must know... how are you planning to make the costume?

0lympia Fri 24-Aug-12 20:17:47

ha ha ha ! ourlady! how uncharitable! no, Diana was the womb. Kate & wills actually, like gedddonnnnn, I reckon. I hate romacne.

xDivAx Fri 24-Aug-12 21:14:56

Unless your dd will be exposed to any danger op I say do it. If she would be then i especially love the placard idea. I am saddened and horrified to hear these policies and hope that for the sakes of women all over the world they are not realised!

MrsTP has it all spot on and I agree with everything she said!

I will be there in spirit and holding your hand! I'm sure every woman here in the U.K and other countries will be behind you!

I love being agreed with so I will take that xDivAx grin

Since when America sneezes, the UK and Canada where I live catches the cold, we should all be there in spirit.

xDivAx Sun 26-Aug-12 23:13:32

Oh, second that as well MrsTP we should all be afraid!

xDivAx Sun 26-Aug-12 23:15:36

Do let us know what you decide, OP

And if you go, let us know how you get on!

CouthyMow Sun 26-Aug-12 23:25:58

My Aunt is British by birth, but has lived in America for 16 years. She is utterly horrified by these changes to her adopted country, and is campaigning against them. Which says a lot, as she is incredibly religious, and was a previous Republican voter.

We are all with you in spirit.

BigOldFanny Tue 28-Aug-12 14:22:07

I think we will go, going to go on Wednesday to march with Planned Parenthood, there hasn't been any violence yet and even more importantly Tropical Storm Isaac has moved East and won't be hitting the RNC.

They were hit by a waterspout just outside though... God is angry grin

BigOldFanny Tue 28-Aug-12 14:51:48

*has moved west, no one comment about my sense of direction..letting the side down here

You have a bunch of strange Mumsnetters marching with you in sympathy. Put a picture on your profile!

BigOldFanny Tue 28-Aug-12 15:27:33

ha I will MTP! smile

BigOldFanny Thu 13-Dec-12 01:17:19

update in honor of the update thread

I did take dc to protest and they wore signs (not dressed as a uterus). They did also have their pics taken loads and generally had a great time smile

and obviously totally responsible for Obama winning election

BigOldFanny Thu 13-Dec-12 13:40:00

Shameless bump in case anyone on the thread was bothered!

TapirAroundTheChristmasTree Thu 13-Dec-12 14:18:56

I'm glad you and your dcs had fun - a friend of mine was there protesting too.

picketywick Thu 13-Dec-12 14:22:32

This is a very funny thread. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now