Would I be unreasonable to dress dd as a uterus?

(120 Posts)
BigOldFanny Wed 22-Aug-12 14:10:22

The Republican National Convention is going to be held very close to where I live... I'm thinking of going to protest and dressing up dd as a model of the female reproductive system... I'm slightly concerned about there being trouble there though and about using her when she's too young to have an opinion on anything herself (even though this will affect her long term). Is it wrong?

WilsonFrickett Wed 22-Aug-12 14:34:28

Best thread title. Ever.

Also drumroll for Cuterus. And Adovaries.

Do it!

MonaLotte Wed 22-Aug-12 14:41:38
JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Wed 22-Aug-12 14:44:27

I don't think this is about puishing back any boundaries, Olympia. As MrsPratchett says, women in the US are fighting for basic human rights that some would have taken away from them.

I'd still be nervous about taking her along.

cocolepew Wed 22-Aug-12 14:46:00

I saw some vulva/uterus adult costumes on facebook. They were very good <<impressed>>.

BigOldFanny Wed 22-Aug-12 14:55:18

The republicans want to make sure we haven't got decent access to health care in the first place and then take away Planned Parenthood as a second choice. Not to mention make it legal for employer's insurance plans to not cover birth control for "religious reasons".. and be able to ASK women why they are on birth control

janey68 Wed 22-Aug-12 15:02:28

Completely agree with the cause, but don't agree you should use your child. I'm with the idea of you dressing up yourself

Smellslikecatspee Wed 22-Aug-12 15:03:37

Shades of 'A Handmaidens Tale' in the USA these days

I mean what the hell gives anyone the right to ask a women WHY they're on birth control.

In fact I can only think of one situation where that might be acceptable and that involves a HCP not an employer. .

QuenelleOJersey2012 Wed 22-Aug-12 15:11:49

I agree that you should protest.

But there are people out there with some really disgusting views. It would be terrible for your daughter to have them shouted at her in the heat of a protest.

BigOldFanny Wed 22-Aug-12 15:29:29

Yes quenelle, that's true sad

chocoluvva Wed 22-Aug-12 15:57:20

Yes.

InTheNightGarden Wed 22-Aug-12 16:16:17

nankypeevy ... brilliant idea!!!

I'd usually say don't use your child, but this is a good cause smile I'd love to see the outfit hahaa!!

nankypeevy Wed 22-Aug-12 16:48:42

[[http://knitterrooney.blogspot.co.uk/2007/08/yarngina-monologue.html a very impressive knitted one (the yarngina) that I have long admired...

nankypeevy Wed 22-Aug-12 16:49:17

oops

yarngina

Harleyband Wed 22-Aug-12 16:53:07

Make sure your costume is waterproof. Looks like convention may be hit by a hurricaine (Tropical Storm Isaac heading their way). Divine intervention maybe???

hermioneweasley Wed 22-Aug-12 16:59:42

This isn't a political protest that she may later disagree with - I think it's a fAirly safe bet that she will want the right to reproductive freedom and to say what happens to her vagina when she gets older. If not, you'll have bigger issues anyway.

I think it sounds like a great idea!

nankypeevy Wed 22-Aug-12 18:53:38

Harley - I'm loving that.

I wish my fanjo was waterproof...

hermioneweasley I agree that I am fairly sure my DD will want to decide for herself whether she wants; contraception; abortions; the right to decide what constitutes rape; whether she wants to tell people what medication she takes; if she has a miscarriage if she wants any medical intervention afterwards.

MrMiyagi Wed 22-Aug-12 19:25:53

Sure, you own her. Exploit her however you want.

Poor thing.

dontcallmehon Wed 22-Aug-12 19:27:13

I wouldn't - I wouldn't make that decision for a small child.

MrMiyagi better to exploit her now or wait until she is 18 and the Republicans make sure she has to ask a man if she wants to go to the toilet?

Read this

And this

Women are fighting for their basic human rights here. Make no mistake, this is the worst kind of abuse.

SirBoobAlot Wed 22-Aug-12 19:37:31

I would do it, if I wasn't pretty sure there will be something nasty going on to fight against any protesters that turn up.

Leave your DD at home, take plenty of pictures whilst you're there, and when she's older explain what an important thing you were part of.

Rooting for you in the UK.

Iamsparklyknickers Wed 22-Aug-12 20:03:36

If you want your daughter to be part of this (it's her future your fighting for after all) could you make the costume and use a photo of her blown up on a placard with some kind of witty slogan on it?

"this is not all I am destined to be" kind of thing.

EduStudent Wed 22-Aug-12 20:59:40

Ooh, placard a good compromise if you feel things may get troublesome on the day.

fridakahlo Wed 22-Aug-12 21:05:10

Fanny, whereabouts are you? I suspect no where near NJ as I cannot imagine the republicans having their annual conference anywhere north of the mason-dixie line.

oopsi Wed 22-Aug-12 21:24:15

ugh yabu ,disgusting . Have a little respect for your daughter

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now