Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be pissed of my brother is getting married on our anniversary?

(79 Posts)
Lily15 Sat 04-Aug-12 17:22:38

The title says it all really.Brother and fiancée are getting married overseas next month but are legally getting hitched here first in a registry office.Only just told me when. On my 2nd wedding anniversary. Bit pissed off. Would you be?

Arabellasmella Sat 04-Aug-12 18:31:23

YABU, not a problem here, in fact it's quite nice i think.

JamieandTheOlympicTorch Sat 04-Aug-12 18:51:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JamieandTheOlympicTorch Sat 04-Aug-12 18:53:24

sorry. That was a bit rude.

JeezyPeeps Sat 04-Aug-12 18:56:33

Just a bit considering the op has come on here and acknowledged sibu..

Babylon1 Sat 04-Aug-12 18:59:23

YABU

We got married on my best friends wedding anniversary. Her DH thanked us, said it saved him taking her out for a meal wink

Sorry but a bit like your birthday, other people are allowed to be born on it hmm

pud1 Sat 04-Aug-12 18:59:54

My mil's db got married on the morning of her wedding and turnd up to her wedding and made the announcement that he has just got married. They ended up sharing the wedding breakfast. Now that WOULD piss me off.

JamieandTheOlympicTorch Sat 04-Aug-12 19:00:23

Jeezy. Yes, which is why I apologised. I shall ask for it to be deleted. Most uncharacteristic of me.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 04-Aug-12 19:02:57

Yabu.

My dad got married on my tenth wedding anniversary. I thought it was really nice.

bagelmonkey Sat 04-Aug-12 19:04:25

I'd be delighted if my brother got married on our wedding anniversary. Or any other day for that matter.

trixymalixy Sat 04-Aug-12 19:07:39

YABU, the only time you celebrate wedding anniversaries with other people is big ones like at 25 years, so not likely to ever clash. Unless of course you both require a babysitter on the same night!!!

ohmysilverballs Sat 04-Aug-12 19:12:19

My brother did this on my first anniversary, hmmmmmmmm

jandymaccomesback Sat 04-Aug-12 19:43:00

In my DSis' family several members share the same wedding anniversary. They like it.

Floggingmolly Sat 04-Aug-12 20:11:56

It's just a date. My DH wanted to get married on my birthday hmm but the venue was booked out!

Clytaemnestra Sat 04-Aug-12 20:14:25

DH and I forgot our 4th anniversary last year. Our friend said "Happy anniversary" brightly to us, and was shocked when we both looked blank.

Shame I didn't suss quicker than DH what she was on about or I would have turned to him and said "I was waiting for you to remember" in disappointed tones. I would have got a really big guilt present then.

pestooneverything Sat 04-Aug-12 20:15:35

YAB hugely U

You've had your day - let them have theirs!!

wildkat Sat 04-Aug-12 20:26:42

You'll have a really nice 2nd anniversary I reckon - depending what their wedding is like and how you prepare, could involve night at a hotel, posh meal, new outfit, hair done, etc...

Stokes Sat 04-Aug-12 22:41:54

If it's just a legal ceremony, they probably won't even celebrate it. We got married abroad and did the legal bit here a few weeks beforehand. It was only last year and I struggle to remember the date.

StuntGirl Sat 04-Aug-12 23:15:58

I think I would be irrationally annoyed for a minute then I'd get over it and wonder what I was ever annoyed about!

EllenParsons Sun 05-Aug-12 00:26:16

YABU. Don't see any problem with this at all!

Longdistance Sun 05-Aug-12 00:40:19

Dh and I got married on the day our friends were having their 25th wedding anniversary. We didn't know until we sent out the invites. They were more than happy to share our day/their day, and got mentioned in our speeches, and got given gifts from us.
They were ecstatic about it.
Just be happy for them, and pleased they chose the same day.

Kayano Sun 05-Aug-12 01:04:15

Errrr no? It's special

howdoo Sun 05-Aug-12 02:36:47

Lileeeee!

Come back and tell us why you don't like your SILtobe!!

spamm Sun 05-Aug-12 02:45:23

To be honest, I understand your feelings. My brother got married on the day before our 2nd Anniversary, and my sister got married on our 13th Anniversary. I am not sure why they chose those dates, when they had 363 other days to choose from, and I do find it a bit strange, but I have stopped getting annoyed by it, as I have better things to do.

I love them both, and their spouses, very much, but we are not close, and as I get older I get wiser- there are much better things to be concerned about, this is trivial!

Dprince Sun 05-Aug-12 07:40:06

As you know yabu.
Its a wedding anniversary which really doesn't matter to other people.
Also its just the legal bit. They are getting married on another date, which will probably be another date.
Come on, why don't you like your sip? My dbro married my best friend she still pisses me off on occasion. I really want to know what she has done.

exoticfruits Sun 05-Aug-12 07:48:55

I can't see the slightest problem with it. At least you will remember the date! I don't do anything for anniversaries except our own and the big ones (starting at silver). It won't interfere with your big anniversaries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now