Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

to be really annoyed about scented Always pads?

(209 Posts)
MinesaBottle Tue 31-Jul-12 16:55:53

I’ve used Always since they first came out in the UK (waaaay back when) and always (sorry) been happy with them. They were a revelation after the inch-thick leaky horrors of my early teens. Anyway, I notice they are now only available scented – at least the ones I use (Night – for those heavy heavy times). WHY???? Not only do I really dislike the heavy implication that a) my fanjo smells terrible and b) I don’t know to wash myself and wear clean underwear, but the smell makes me heave - it’s like the worst elements of synthetic old-lady and teenager perfumes mixed together – and I really don’t want to stick chemicals right on my most sensitive part. Bought some last month because I hadn’t realised they were scented, and while I can almost never smell my own period I can constantly smell the stupid scent.

Thanks a bunch Always angry I shall be switching to Boots’ own brand from now on (until they become bloody scented as well)

DoItOnce Tue 14-Aug-12 22:18:15
Itsgottabebags Wed 15-Aug-12 16:44:17

You can get Kotex in one of the poundshops. Also Aldi do sanitary towels for around 69p called Florette. I have just looked at the packaging and it says nothing about them having any fragrance in them so maybe worth investigating?

I am going to use them soon and will re buy if they are good

Suziblue Tue 20-Nov-12 12:26:14

I too am against these and would recommend Softcup

I wrote to Always too and I'm waiting for a response. Here is what I've written. Just to note that even their non dented products are rife with chemicals.

I have used your products since I was 14 years old. Always recently added Actipearls to all their products and I inadvertently bought these pads.

I had a horrible allergic reaction to them, which took a long time to identify as it emulated other possible conditions. I had to attend my local GP clinic 4 times before I identified it was the actipearls in the pads I was allergic to. It took 2 weeks to recover from the resulting allergy.

Why have you added these to all products? I was happy with this brand until then.

Please consider women with sensitive skin when making the changes to your products. Your brand has caused me much distress due to this change.

If you could tell me what chemicals you have added to these pads I would be most appreciative so I can avoid contact with them in the future.

DeWe Tue 20-Nov-12 12:36:03

They do a "silk" one which isn't scented. It's a in a very pale packaging. I reacted to the scented ones too.

Furoshika Tue 20-Nov-12 12:39:12

I stopped using them too.
I keep thinking (because I am using Bodyform several times a day atm) what a stupid decision they have made and how the other companies must be raking it in suddenly.
Always used to be pretty good, yet they've managed to insult their customer base by calling them smelly-twatted illiterates who cannot READ that they have intentionally put perfume into their product.

Pictureperfect Wed 21-Nov-12 22:55:41

I completely agree, they stink! I've never smelt that someone's having a period but I've smelt the awful always smell! Did tampax stop making scented tampons in the end, just what every woman needs...not!

OkayHazel Wed 21-Nov-12 23:36:41

Go for Bodyform!

ZebraOwl Thu 22-Nov-12 01:03:14

I'm used (thanks to ALLERGIES OF DEATH) to having to read all food packaging (& the odd other bit like soap, because Milk Gets Everywhere) every single time. Am I now going to have to do this with sanitary protection as well?!

Who are these mystery 2000 women? Bet, as someone above said, they were keen on odour control but didn't get warned that would involve pads that should be festooned in chemical warning sign things.

Am now wondering if I should go on a mad spree & buy up all the non-scented nighttime towels I can get my hooves on. Might be a bit awkward to explain to my brother why it was he was now living inside a fort made of packs of sanitary towels though...

ripsishere Thu 22-Nov-12 03:17:59

I skipped over quite a lot in the middle, but agree it's a bizarre idea. Fortunately for me, I am w-a-y past periods. DD is coming up to it and I loathe the idea that she thinks she is dirty in some way.
I remember when I was young and impressionable about 15, tampax brought out scented ones. I was in raptures of delight thinking I had a fragrant foof. Ridiculous.

Mummug Wed 09-Jan-13 15:55:32

Thank God I found this discussion. I am demented with these pads. OH bought a bucketload of them (at my request I must add!). I could cry. My period is so heavy I need both tampons and pads for the first few days, so have no choice but to use these for now. They are actually making me sore and itchy. I will NEVER EVER use these again and would rather bin the ones I have than use them. Wouldn't even give them away to some poor unsuspecting sod. Will tell my daughter to avoid. Silly billies ALWAYS...I expect your turnover has at least halved. I am determined some man in a suit came up with this idea.....surely?!?

greenandcabbagelooking Wed 09-Jan-13 16:03:02

They give me horrendous thrush. Not the thing when you are on Guide camp and are stuck with the pads you have and no Boots nearby for Canesten!

Doingfine Wed 09-Jan-13 16:07:48

My DD had an op yesterday for similar to Bartholin cyst. They think it may have been a change in sanitary towels that caused an irritation and subsequent abcess. Blooming sore & traumatic for her. Dont need anything that will make it worse. angry

I have sensitive skin, so I try to avoid perfumed/scented products. It's annoying that I need to do this with someone so basic as a sanitary pad. I inadvertantly bought some recently and they were awful. I got itchy with a mild rash.

I now buy supermarket own brands, they're good enough for me. And not currently scented.

CreamOfTomatoSoup Wed 09-Jan-13 16:35:06

YANBU, it smells weird.

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 09-Jan-13 19:40:28

Glad this has been reserected, I accidentally used some a few months a go and my vagina felt like it had actually burst into flames.

hatgirl Wed 09-Jan-13 19:49:51

who ever thought this was a good idea? Whoever HE was should perhaps be forced to wear itching powder laced boxers for a month.

The worst thing is it took me two periods of never experienced before thrushy agony to click that it was the pads causing the problem... and I hadn't even noticed they were supposed to smell nice!

The implication that women smell bad when they are on their periods INFURIATES me! Fucking ridiculous.

I started using a mooncup last year and it's been life changing, I'm never changin back. They are properly amazing.

*changing

Also, the fact that they didn't consider allergies when making this bloddy stupid decision is unfathomable.

Utterlylostandneedtogo Fri 11-Jan-13 10:40:44

Another ex always user here because of the scent. They are the only pad I've ever felt comfortable using and now I can't use them because of the stupid smell. My fanjo burns and I can smell it through my clothing!! Not what I want!!

mychildrenarebarmy Fri 11-Jan-13 10:48:58

I no longer use them either. Like many others the scented Always left me very uncomfortable. I now only use natracare which aren't very easy to find but don't have nasties in them.

manicbmc Fri 11-Jan-13 10:54:42

Dd will not use Always purely because some idiot man came up with the 'have a happy period' ad line and it makes her murderous.

plantsitter Fri 11-Jan-13 10:59:10

YANBU I have changed to Bodyform. Kept wondering what the hideous air-freshner smell was.

Andro Fri 11-Jan-13 11:09:43

YADNBU!

I used to use Always, then they messed about with them and put a 'new and improved' top cover on them. I was not impressed when an hour after using the first one I had blisters (allergic reaction)...there are some places where you really, REALLY don't want blisters!

I don't know what the new ones smell like, but it's perfectly reasonable to be annoyed when a perfectly good product is made worse/unusable because of 'improvements'!

MrsMushroom Fri 11-Jan-13 12:15:04

Has anyone sent this thread to Always head office?

Didn't realise that there was a thread about this - my dd ended up with thrush and blisters because of these pads. Like other posters ^^ she didn't connect the dots because you don't expect sanpro to do that to you!

She's been told by her gp (sought advice about the blisters) that it's an allergic reaction that will get worse by repeated use. She switched to Aldi own brand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now