to be really annoyed about scented Always pads?

(209 Posts)
MinesaBottle Tue 31-Jul-12 16:55:53

I’ve used Always since they first came out in the UK (waaaay back when) and always (sorry) been happy with them. They were a revelation after the inch-thick leaky horrors of my early teens. Anyway, I notice they are now only available scented – at least the ones I use (Night – for those heavy heavy times). WHY???? Not only do I really dislike the heavy implication that a) my fanjo smells terrible and b) I don’t know to wash myself and wear clean underwear, but the smell makes me heave - it’s like the worst elements of synthetic old-lady and teenager perfumes mixed together – and I really don’t want to stick chemicals right on my most sensitive part. Bought some last month because I hadn’t realised they were scented, and while I can almost never smell my own period I can constantly smell the stupid scent.

Thanks a bunch Always angry I shall be switching to Boots’ own brand from now on (until they become bloody scented as well)

shockers Tue 31-Jul-12 19:48:50

They stink, and the smell of them reacts with me to make a really unpleasant smell.

I had used them for many years but they lost me after my first scented pack.

PeachyPossum Tue 31-Jul-12 19:54:34

I spent several days wondering what the smells was until I twigged.

Thrush a'go'go hmm

TheShriekingHarpy Tue 31-Jul-12 19:55:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Oh dear, I've made a MN fail grin

Currently using pads because I've just had a coil fitted (no tampons allowed for 6 weeks) Been on a period for 4 solid weeks now and to be honest, it smells fucking rank. So I deliberately chose scented ones this week. I change regularly, but can still smell it. Roll on another two weeks so I can start with the tampons again!

frankie4 Tue 31-Jul-12 20:07:23

And they also make all my clothes stink too. My trousers reek of the smell and I have to wash my trousers or jeans every day. And I am aware that other people may smell it too.

Always silk are unscented but not as good. Lillets towels are ok.

DesperatelySeekingPomBears Tue 31-Jul-12 20:14:44

I don't 'get' what some of you are saying. Always aren't suggesting that vaginas smell, they leave that to Femfresh, they're saying blood smells. And it does. It really does. No matter how often you change, blood is not, and will never be, a pleasant smell.

Noren Tue 31-Jul-12 20:20:17

I am so glad I switched to cloth a while back, Always used to be my brand too. Scented gives me yeast infections.

Mrs Keith Richards, what is a monocup? Is it a small holder for your monocle?

MrsBaggins Tue 31-Jul-12 20:33:27

Desperately Im a Midwife - I deal with blood regularily and fresh blood and menstrual loss doesnt smell .
I find that disposables give a fishy smell - probably due to the absorbancy chemicals.
Arf at Monocupgrin

hawaiiWave Tue 31-Jul-12 20:35:13

Sainsbury do good, unscented ones,smile

MrsBaggins Tue 31-Jul-12 20:35:53

Ps if you had a nosebleed would you comment on the smell ?
Women are being conditioned to believe menstrual loss is offensivehmm

YANBU

I'm thinking of moving to washable ones tbh.

eurochick Tue 31-Jul-12 20:45:11

I just sent the link to this thread to Always.... Let's hope they appreciate this free focus group.

MrsBaggins Tue 31-Jul-12 20:46:52

I use these http://www.minkinappies.co.uk/index.php?cPath=31_43&osCsid=6ae337110b79ca972a58f248c16937ca
Lovely and soft .

MrsBaggins Tue 31-Jul-12 20:47:47

Arrrgh no link sorry !

Yes I've seen the Minki's on the website I linked. 27 to choose from. Too much choice grin Any tips?

DesperatelySeekingPomBears Tue 31-Jul-12 20:51:38

Why... the... FUCK... would you want to wash your own menstrual rags?! My grandparents used to do this and hated it. Ugh ugh UGH [shudder]

Latara Tue 31-Jul-12 20:53:19

Yuck, noticed the smell last time i had a period.
I'd forgotten until i saw this thread; glad you started it because it's reminded me that I've got 2 unopened packs of Always & they will be returned to Tesco; i need the money to buy different unscented pads!!

Pissed off cos my period's due now & all i have is the scented shite pads.

I don't like tampons, but i liked Always Ultra pads because they come without wings & WERE unscented. (who invented wings ffs).
I've never worn scented pads because the scents irritate & basically defeat the object of wearing a nice perfume or bodyspray.
Definitely this is a very recent change.
I just read the packet & it says 'light scent' in v small print. i'm going to complain if i cba.

Worst of all it is a rank smell that advertises 'hey, i've got a period & i'm wearing a pad everyone!!'

MrsBaggins Tue 31-Jul-12 20:54:36

grin I use the large one at night and then the medium with a mooncup on very heavy days.
I got one of the trial packs to start but you do need a fair few if using exclusively.
Having said that mine are a few years old and still going strong - in fact they get lovely and soft with washing.

MrsBaggins Tue 31-Jul-12 20:57:15

I dont wash rags Desperately I wash lovely soft washable sanitary towels - made of cotton or soft fleece. They are exactly the same shape as disposable ones.

Latara Tue 31-Jul-12 20:57:58

washable cloths - not practical for work at all, & definitely can't spend time faffing about with a mooncup at work; actually don't want to be handling bloody cloths or mooncups anyway really!

MrsBaggins Tue 31-Jul-12 20:58:38

Thanks dontstepgrin

What do you use? confused

I use tampax, but obviously there's the problem with handling that, and faffing about, too.

DesperatelySeekingPomBears it's a personal choice. I've been thinking about it for a while to save money and for the environment, the [[ http://luxurymoon.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page&id=3 website]] I linked to has a section on why, which is probably far more sensible than what I could say on the matter. But I cannot blame you for feeling the way you do, it's not for everyone. But things have come a long way from when my grandparents did the same, thank goodness. Mooncups are better, I plan to use both if all goes well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now