to think Angry Birds full volume in a small restaurant is anti-social and inconsiderate?

(43 Posts)
PenisVanLesbian Sun 22-Jul-12 16:53:47

Went for late lunch in a small cafe/restaurant, only about 8 tables so lovely and quiet, I told my children to sit quietly (which for once, they were doing beautifully, colouring instead of arguing). There we were enjoying lunch and a nice chat, when the table next to us puts on angry birds for the small child (3 or 4) at MAX volume. Unbelievably annoying, loud crashing and squealing noises plus the irritating music, all at a volume I didn't even know an ipad could reach.

I think this is incredibly rude and shouldn't be done in any public place, but definitely not in such a small indoor venue where other people are trying to relax and enjoy a meal.

AIBU? DH said I was because I should have just ignored it (he's half deaf though, easy for him to say) and that I was rude because they must have heard me saying to him what I thought (tough shite as far as I'm concerned, if they did it didn't shame them into turning it down).

MrsVestibule I think you did the right thing, in my head I would have done the same but not had the balls to carry it out. Well done grin.

OP yanbu, my dd sometimes needs to be entertained with apps when she's had enough but never with noise on, it's just rude.

SneakyNuts Mon 23-Jul-12 12:05:16

YANBU

My BIL (9) does this and it fucks me off no end

YANBU.
Angry birds is essential for DS2 (Autism, ADHD) and he won't sit quietly anywhere without it.
But there is such a thing as mute, or headphones.

MardyBra Mon 23-Jul-12 12:53:21

Wheeeeeeeee!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah. Hingit.

Da da da da da [rest] da da da da da [rest] da da da da da da da da daa.

Yanbu.

CharminglyOdd Mon 23-Jul-12 12:58:43

YANBU. I hate people who put on electronics for their children (or themselves, although adults tend to wear headphones) without either muting them or plugging in headphones. It smacks of my-child's-happiness-is-more-important-than-everyone-else-in-the-room, which I can't abide.

It seems I am also turning into my mother grin

Glittertwins Mon 23-Jul-12 13:04:54

YANBU. Some games require sound (spelling) but Angry Birds is not one of them and certainly not in a restaurant either. Angry Birds music is annoying even when I'm playing the game myself, so iPad is firmly on mute!

Rubirosa Mon 23-Jul-12 13:12:28

I experienced similar recently - small cafe, woman with two children aged about 7 and 9 but a movie on for them at full volume! Even my 2 year old was able to behave himself during one meal without a screen to gawp at.

liketochat1 Mon 23-Jul-12 13:19:09

Yanbu. And if they heard it was disturbing you, why didn't they switch to mute? Selfish and inconsiderate.

Katiepoes Mon 23-Jul-12 13:22:52

Why not just ask if it can go on mute? This passive agressive nonsense helps nobody.

Tutters and eye rollers are annoying too you know.

I don't get why screens are necessary in a restaurant anyway tbh ( special needs aside). I admit I use ds' (3) I pod to amuse him in situations like doctor's waiting rooms but not at the table. What's wrong with talking?

cinnamonnut Mon 23-Jul-12 15:12:03

YANBU. People who do this are wankers.

PenisVanLesbian Mon 23-Jul-12 15:38:02

But at least the tutters and eyerollers had right on their side! And as I said, I would have done but I was busy arguing with dh who said not to. But

Hudson2412 Mon 28-Jan-13 13:21:05

You should accept that angry birds is more successful then you'll ever be!

Hammy02 Mon 28-Jan-13 13:30:53

YANBU. If someone is making noise I often tap them on the shoulder and just say 'Excuse me but I can hear that from my table'. Lets them know under no uncertain terms that I do not expect to hear from them.

LittleMissFantabulous Mon 28-Jan-13 13:33:22

You'd hate my five year old. On the rare occasion he manages to snag my phone for a bout of angry birds (usually a tuesday night while we kill time waiting for his sister to finish band) he makes all the whooping and bipping noises >_< It's always on mute, I just wish he could be too. Sorry!grin

ClartyCarol Mon 28-Jan-13 13:35:19

I couldn't not have said anything. Just a polite "Would you mind turning that down please?" can't cause any offence surely?

DeDevilTail Mon 28-Jan-13 13:38:42

Having endured the Angry Birds soundtrack on a relatively short domestic flight in Spain once, I can declare that YANBU! I could perhaps have forgiven the transgression if it had been keeping a small child occupied but on this occasion the offender was a well dressed businessman aged around 40! How I wish my conversational Spanish had extended to 'mute it, fuckface'.

GetOrf Mon 28-Jan-13 13:39:59

WHY has this 6 month old thread been bumped, hudson, you tiresome twat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now