Parking wars

(677 Posts)
RealityIsNOTWarren Sun 17-Jun-12 19:54:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

idococktailshedoesbeer Sun 17-Jun-12 23:02:15

We have some twatty man on our street (we all have one or two car drives so street parking isn't a big issue) who doesn't use his drive and puts a big ugly cone down outside his house to make sure he can always park there. Apparently in the past he has keyed cars and let tyres down when they have dared to park there. It annoyed me so much I sent an email to the council, who said give us his house number and we'll go round and tell him the cone is a no-no, but then I thought does that make me as pathetic as him so I didn't reply. blush

RealityIsNOTWarren Mon 18-Jun-12 06:15:27

Inertia Mon 18-Jun-12 06:57:51

Can you not park outside your house every time the space is free so mindees parents can park on your drive ?

RealityIsNOTWarren Mon 18-Jun-12 07:19:21

ComposHat Mon 18-Jun-12 07:22:08

Or maybe just park your car somewhere else in the street and walk the few metres from your house to the car, rise above the nonsense and congratulate yourself for not being as petty as he is.

PurplePidjin Mon 18-Jun-12 07:23:54

If you go for the Old Banger route, which of course would be morally wrong and wicked, i completely and utterly do not condone either sending off the V5 in your neighbour's name, or paying the tax in cash...

RealityIsNOTWarren Mon 18-Jun-12 07:34:37

RealityIsNOTWarren Mon 18-Jun-12 07:34:56

TandB Mon 18-Jun-12 08:13:36

Do one of the things suggested on this thread and when he inevitably comes to complain about it, just look at him completely blankly and then say "But you have a double drive " and let your brow wrinkle just a little bit as if you are really trying to understand.

And then tell us what he says!

PurplePidjin Mon 18-Jun-12 08:29:21

Is the drive double length or double width?

double length or double width?? this thread has suddenly took a different route... wink

Sallyingforth Mon 18-Jun-12 12:31:19

All parking wars threads should have a postcode so we can check them out on Google Street View.

MustControlFistOfDeath Mon 18-Jun-12 12:38:33

Oh God reminds me of all the nonsense we had with one of our neighbours.

Thank Christ he moved not long ago.

He's not buried under the patio, honest grin

Kazriina Mon 18-Jun-12 12:55:45

Take a picture of him parked outside your house and send it to his insurers, I'd put money on him declaring his parking as off road not on the other side of the road =)

ZacharyQuack Mon 18-Jun-12 13:04:20

We used to have rubbish bag wars with our neighbour.

The rubbish was collected early Tuesday morning, so we used to put the bags out at the end of our driveway late on Monday night. When we got up on Tuesday we'd find the bag halfway up our drive, often split open, and the rubbish truck had been and gone.

This went on for a few months and one day DH started chatting with our neighbour (who we hadn't really met before). Neighbour told him that we kept putting our rubbish bags beside his front fence, so he would throw them back up our driveway.

Thank god we didn't have a car at the time.

RealityIsNOTWarren Mon 18-Jun-12 13:11:24

Paiviaso Mon 18-Jun-12 13:19:19

OP your neighbour sounds deranged.

I think this is one of those situations where you have to be the bigger person, get on with your life and not worry about it, and just watch in amusement as the other person continues on their silly little one-sided battle smile

Katienana Mon 18-Jun-12 14:01:50

This sort of thing drives me up the wall, wish I could be more like OH and not care. My road is all flats on side that look like traditional semi detached houses (so what would be 2 semis is actually four flats) and the other side is bungalows that all have drives. One of the bungalows doesn't own a car but has relatives that visit, I have seen them bringing shopping - a few weeks ago they actually parked way down the street, despite the drive being empty, in torrential rain, carrying bags of shopping back and forth for 10 minutes. Cannot get my head round that one! Also our new-ish neighbours are also driveless like us and currently have a skip outside their front wall, but hog all the nearby parking - when I was learning to drive they would sit in their car and wait for 10 minutes while I finished talking to my instructor so they could get in the space nearest their house (where they had stopped was a perfectly fine space in itself and literally 10 yards from their front door!!)

QueenOfPlaguegroup Mon 18-Jun-12 14:02:22

I've read the blog, that sounds like perfectly reasonable behaviour. But only if you come back and update how it goes. grin

VonHerrBurton Mon 18-Jun-12 14:58:57

Haven't you got any dc at the age where kicking a large, heavy, basketball type of ball around in the vicinity of his car? After all, why shouldn't they play outside their own house?

That's what we did when the miserable old gits that live over the road from us parked their old, shitty, oil leaking dump of a 4 x 4 outside our house in similar circumstances to you. When dh asked them why they wouldn't put it on their (at least 4 car with only one parked up it) drive he laughed and said 'it blocks the wife's sun at about 10 o'clock!!' no a drop of irony.

RealityIsNOTWarren Mon 18-Jun-12 15:17:09

BobbiFleckman Mon 18-Jun-12 15:23:26

The good thing is that it is holiday season coming up. I wonder whether you know anyone on your road / any friends who might need their car keeping an eye on by you for the week they're away. Would be good of you to let them put it in the space in front of your house for the week.... (is there a regular slot when he's out bothering someone else?)

DizzyKipper Mon 18-Jun-12 16:53:42

God other people have the most interesting and amusing problems, the biggest my problems ever get is about paying bills/debts, I think my life would become that much more interesting were I able to engage in a little parking wars grin Will be an entertaining thread to be keeping an eye on whilst whiling away the days of ML - just promise me if his face turns purple from the rage at your audacity of taking HIS space you'll take some photos for us wink

TandB Mon 18-Jun-12 17:13:06

We used to live in a rented housekeeper's house that had been built in the grounds of a larger house in a rather odd little corner of London. The previous owners sold the big house and our house but kept a second cottage beside ours as a holiday home, which they then let their uni student son move into full time.

There were no parking restrictions anywhere around us and there were only a few houses on our very long road so probably only 2 or 3 cars parked on it at any given time. They had a driveway for 2, possibly 3 cars and a space set back from the road in front of their gate which could take another 2 cars.

But they used to park across our gate.

Not all the time, but probably once every 2 or 3 weeks, either a visitor would park there or the son would inexplicably park his landrover there.

The first time he did it was overnight and I didn't realise until I left early in the morning to go somewhere for the day and couldn't get my car out and couldn't wake him up for ages. He was very apologetic. And then did it again.

They then had some visitors who blocked us in just before I was about to take DS1 out in the car - one of them turned out to be the architect who designed our house. I went out and asked if they were going to be long. "Oh yes," the man said cheerfully and started to walk off. He seemed surprised when I called him back to move the car. "But I designed this house, you know," he said. I did this face confused at him.

It kept happening. It was bizarre.

PooPooInMyToes Mon 18-Jun-12 18:27:56

There's some weird people about!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now