Parking wars

(677 Posts)
RealityIsNOTWarren Sun 17-Jun-12 19:54:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ENormaSnob Sun 17-Jun-12 20:32:43

grin at mrsRB

gamerwidow Sun 17-Jun-12 20:34:39

I agree with Kitchentiles I can see why this annoys you but I think if he is already being so obsessed with the space there is little you can do to stop it. On that basis don't bother getting yourself wound up about it, these things are never worth the effort.

edwinbear Sun 17-Jun-12 20:35:30

If you really want to get his goat, you park one car in 'his space' thus reserving it. When your dh gets home, you both nip out, you park your car on your drive, freeing up 'his space', that your dh then parks in. Watch him hop like a rabbit with a poker up its arse then.

Sparklingbrook Sun 17-Jun-12 20:36:59

It may be that his car leaks oil or something and he doesn't want it on his drive. I am baffled that he moves the car off his drive to come and park outside your house. That would piss me off.

ENormaSnob Sun 17-Jun-12 20:38:30

Get one of those little red and yellow cozy coupes and park that there.

CrispyCod Sun 17-Jun-12 20:39:29

Your neighbour sounds like a nutter. He's got ishoos! Why the hell does he need to park outside your house, that would really wind me up. I'd get a kick out of parking there myself just to drive him round the bend! grin

RealityIsNOTWarren Sun 17-Jun-12 20:40:04

Sparklingbrook Sun 17-Jun-12 20:41:08

Do it! I bet he comes over and asks why you aren't using your drive. grin

RealityIsNOTWarren Sun 17-Jun-12 20:42:43

Sparklingbrook Sun 17-Jun-12 20:44:01

Just say 'Oh, I thought we weren't using our drives anymore?' grin

RealityIsNOTWarren Sun 17-Jun-12 20:45:45

Ohh this would piss me off.

But you have the upper hand. You work from home, you know his shifts. Just keep your car there until your DH gets home and then swap if need be just to piss him off

In the meantime until DH gets his job can we not have some sort of fundraiser so you can buy an old banger to park out the front just to really rile him up? wink

Remember. All is fair in parking warfare.

RealityIsNOTWarren Sun 17-Jun-12 20:55:11

AKE2012 Sun 17-Jun-12 21:06:06

My dads a bit obsessed with his parkin space. He has to b parked outside his house no1 elses. See no point in it.

Years ago my parents had a neighbour who moved his car off his driveway n parked it outside my parents house as soon as my dad left for work in the morning.
Some people hav too much time on their hands.

susiemumof Sun 17-Jun-12 21:07:15

This drives me insane! We live in a small cul de sac and everyone has the same size drive. I park my car in my drive (as you do) and on the odd occasion dh has a company car we squeeze both cars into our drive side by side to free up the narrow road.

The knob guy right over from me parks his one car in his drive (as you do) but in the odd occasion he has a company car he parks it right over his drive blocking his car in but making it difficult for another 3 family's in the street (myself included) to get out their drives.

He would only have to park it 3 metres back from his drive which would be directly outside his door to solve this problem but no no he insists on parking over his drive.

This means on the nights he is back before his wife he blocks her space then has to cone out and move his car to let her get her car into the empty drive!!!

A few of us in the street have said to him about maybe parking a few metres back but he insists he can park where he wants.

Occasionally I have got really pissed off and moved my car over my drive before he gets in but he and his wife are such horrendous drivers I am worried they clip my car.

Glad I got that off my chest grin

Watching with interest. Bloody love parking threads

heartmoonshadow Sun 17-Jun-12 21:13:04

I would make sure that whenever I was in one of our cars was parked in the space for a few weeks so that he got the hang of parking on his own drive. I.E when DH goes out move your car into the space leaving your drive free for DH when he gets home and vice versa.

nottonitejosefine Sun 17-Jun-12 21:34:03

Me too fryingpan grin

redwhiteandblueeyedsusan Sun 17-Jun-12 22:16:10

keep popping out to get something from yourr glove box.... ie getting in the car and then getting out again. claim the dcs have left something.

or just start going out to get a bit opf piece and quiet away from the dcs. he will be up and down like a yo-yo and not know whether you are moving or not grin

emsyj Sun 17-Jun-12 22:23:47

We used to live on a wide street of terraced houses. Because the road was so wide, and because there were lots of elderly folk on the street who didn't have cars, there was plenty of space and DH and I never struggled to park 2 cars close to our house. But still, there was a neighbour who had an officious little sign screwed to the front of her house saying 'No Parking'. It used to make me itch to park right outside her house, but I restrained myself.

<unhelpful>

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sun 17-Jun-12 22:36:23

Why the hell would anyone want to leave their car on a public street when they've got a nice safe private driveway to park it on? Surely if it got scratched or dented you'd wish that actually you'd left it on the bloody drive after all?

We have a neighbour who drives a nice car. A while back his wife was driving an old banger. He wouldn't let her park it on their drive, and made her park it further down the road. DH actually overheard him one day shout at her to get that piece of shit off his drive. Not long after that the car got traded up.

The husband is still there though, unfortunately.

savoycabbage Sun 17-Jun-12 22:37:56

I would just park outside your house when the space is there and park somewhere else when it's not. Don't enter into a battle as he obviously has a bee in his bonnet about it.

We were in a parking 'war' with our neighbor once that we didn't even know we were in for a long time. It was by far the worst period of my life.

They spat on my baby, but petrol on our doorstep, followed us, abused us racially-oh I can hardly remember all of it.

We couldn't sell our house as he would stand outside singing 'in the jungle'. I couldn't go out with my baby in case he attacked us. Or his wife attacked us. He worked shifts too. So we never knew he was at work.

We had to have our curtains shut allnthebtime and we couldn't have visitors as we where's worried about where they would park!

I had to give up working as a supply teacher as I became (irrationally) scared that the wife was going to be at a school I was at.

We couldn't try for another baby as we were living minute by minute wondering what they were going to do next. They did so many awful things.sad

The police did nothing.

So, it's not worth it as you don't know what he is like.

Gentleness Sun 17-Jun-12 22:41:21

Love all these suggestions! Does he know you watch him hop out and bring his car over to your side of the road? Could you ask his wife?

Our neighbour gets equally picky and aggressive about parking. He has a drive without a lowered kerb and wastes 5 foot of parking space by positioning his car on the road leaving access to his drive free between his car and some white no-parking lines. He isn't allowed to lower his kerb and only parks on his drive when there is nowhere else on the road, and often then there isn't space for him to manoeuvre in anyway. But apparently it's important he parks like that in case he needs to get out of his drive confused.

Once, back from Christmas staying with family, in deep ice-packed snow with a poorly 3mo old and much baggage to unload from the car, without a single other parking space the length of the road, we were 6 inches short of being able to park behind him, and he'd left 5 foot free pointlessly in front of him. We knocked and asked if he wouldn't mind moving the car forward just a foot so we could squeeze in and he went bananas, shouting about how he'd lived there 27 years and could park where he wanted to and didn't have to move for anyone. We said we knew we had no right to ask, it was just a kindness to make it a bit easier for us in the snow with a baby, only a tiny move etc. He yelled, "I am NOT A KIND MAN!" and stomped off to the pub or something. Curtains were certainly twitching!

I spoke to his wife the next day and her explanation was, he didn't understand why we needed the extra foot of space. Sheesh - we can park in spaces only a foot longer than our car, just can't quite manage in spaces shorter than the car itself (a Clio at the time - not exactly long)... There is no reasoning with some people! To be fair, I think he'd probably clocked how funny we found his parking antics and was a bit offended! He actually bought an old banger, parked it in "his" road space and parked on his drive for a few months. The old banger never moved. Once.

Ha - parking is high-drama stuff. I can't believe how cathartic I found it typing that story out and it was more than two years ago. blush

Lovecat Sun 17-Jun-12 22:42:41

Ooh, I may have encountered a relative of your neighbour on Friday, Reality smile

SIL lives on a road where several houses have converted their gardens to drives, but no lines have been put down. Her garden is still a garden. Their NDN has a drive, and the house on the other side of NDN is also a garden, so 2 parking spaces on the road and one driveway.

If SIL is out, the NDN will park in front of SIL's house and leave her drive empty.

I needed to use SIL's oven on Friday, SIL was at work but her eldest was in on study leave. NDN was, as usual, parked in front of SIL's house so I foolishly drove up and parked on the other side of NDN's house. She (NDN) literally ran out of her house and down the steps as I turned off the engine and went to bang on my window just as I was opening the door, saying "you're parking over my drive! You're blocking my drive!" I looked and I think my tyre was 1cm over the slopey bit, not even across the driveway. I was about to say "ooookay crazy lady, I'll move back 2cm, no biggie" when she went on "Are you here to see SIL? I'll move my car and then you can park in her space."

I shrugged, fine by me you fruitloop and reversed back a bit more so that she could get onto her drive. Apparently, no, she didn't want to use her own drive, she wanted me to feck off entirely so that she could park where I was and I could then drive around her to SIL's space... cue much arm waving and gesticulating from NDN as I backed up and waited before the light dawned...

And as I went down to the car after I'd finished at SILs, she was out her front door again, keys in hand, waiting to reverse back into SIL's space... she must live by her front window. Dunno how SIL puts up with it, personally I'd have murdered her by now...

yy to cones/shite old banger/popping in and out to fetch things from the glove grin grin grin

QueenOfPlaguegroup Sun 17-Jun-12 23:01:04

How far away do you have to park if you can't use the space outside your house?

Round here there is a house with big signs attached to the hedges asking people not to park outside, they leave their bins out in the road (also with notices attached), cars parked there get notes left on them telling their owners how thoughtless they are and there has been a suspicious amount of vandalism. Someone now appears to have abandoned a car there grin, it's still taxed so even though it's already been there for months, it's at least another couple of months before they can get it towed away. If I had a enough spare cars I'd love to do this to everyone who is petty about parking.

Your neighbour sounds a bit odd. Is there any way you could borrow a caravan so you could start training him to park on his own drive now?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now