SLUG! In the dishwasher!

(66 Posts)
Magneto Sun 17-Jun-12 13:19:19

Is nowhere sacred from the slimy fuckers? It's having a merry old slime all over the rack. Dh won't be home to remove it until after 4.

I need new dishes, a new dishwasher and new plumbing. Donations welcome. Must come from slug free home.

Puzzledandpissedoff Thu 19-Nov-15 12:57:33

would happily keep any sort of creature that eats them, alas no animal thinks they are food I believe

Don't frogs eat them? I have a garden pond and I'm sure I've seen the inhabitants munching on them sometimes

Of course, a house full of hopping, slimy frogs probably wouldn't be much good, either ...

Ugh ugh ugh why did I read this thread! You've SAID the evil word that I can't type sad sl** <vom>

We had two slippery bastard free mornings and then they're back again this morning. AND I TOUCHED ONE! <cries> Bastard was on my shoe. I will never forget that sl**gy feeling...

MyNewBearTotoro Thu 19-Nov-15 10:41:14

During student days one was found in our kettle. Thankfully it was spotted when housemate opened it to fill up and slug was still alive and pre-boiled. Although still makes me gag to think about how we could have been sipping on slug tea if she hadn't noticed.

Kettle was replaced and I now always check for slugs! Luckily we don't have a dishwasher so no risk of one in there.

chemenger Thu 19-Nov-15 10:38:10

My cat had one stuck in his fur yesterday which fell off in my bed, while I was in it. Beat that!

Gingefringe Thu 19-Nov-15 10:34:39

I came downstairs once about 2am for a drink and found one inside an unwashed frying pan which had been left on the cooker. It freaked me out because my DH would probably have used the frying pan again without washing it - sorry I know that's disgusting! Needless to say we always wash up straight after every meal now.

My DS once fell into a bush whist camping and surfaced with a slug on his face which he didn't notice until it was pointed out to him!

I hate the buggers.

Roomba Thu 19-Nov-15 10:25:13

In my house they come in under the back door, despite it being replaced and all holes around it sealed. They also crawl out from beneath the fridge and dishwasher - they must squeeze in through microscopic holes in the walls somewhere. And they come up out of the plughole, up the sink and onto the side. Not often, but enough that I am paranoid and bleach, then put a ring of salt round the tip of the sink every night. My kids think I am mad. But I found one in my kettle once! I had to chuck it even though it was newish.

Salt round the floor edges and also loads round the perimeter of the house outside, when it's dry at least, help keep them out. I'm not keen on snails or oysters either. But slugs are just grim, and the smell they give off when they are salted is the most horrible thing I've ever smelled (or is that just mine that do that?)...

x2boys Thu 19-Nov-15 09:18:34

horrible little fuckers every morning i keep getting up to slug trails all oveer my lounge have tried putting down slug be gone its useless what purpose do they actually serve?

hefzi Thu 19-Nov-15 09:11:25

This was the thread that introduced me to mumsnet! (The original thread, not the resurrected bit, obviously...)

Three years later, I still have slugs in the bathroom, though - probably too much time lurking on threads and not enough with the slug pellets!

Binkybix Thu 19-Nov-15 08:04:20

Oh god. Why did I read this? It was one of the reasons we moved. No slugs yet in new place. do have a mouse though

CrohnicallyAspie Thu 19-Nov-15 07:03:07

EWW slugs! Like a pp, I hate them to the point where I'm almost phobic about them. Anyway, one morning when we hadn't long moved in here, we'd had takeaway and left the wrappers in a bag on the work top and the plates next to the sink. In the morning there was slug slime on the plates and enough of a trail round the kitchen that we could work out where they had come in. It was disgusting. But then I had to spend the whole day with my hands tucked inside my sleeves just in case I actually touched one. And scrub the whole kitchen!

And I'm now horrified in case they've been inside some of the containers like the stories on here!

reni2 Wed 18-Nov-15 23:50:00

But slug- eurgh. I don't know why they are so much more offensive than slugs

reni2 Wed 18-Nov-15 23:48:50

But so are oysters and they are nice or snails and they are vaguely edible.

TaliZorahVasNormandy Wed 18-Nov-15 23:46:31

Reni, there is probably a good reason why nothing would eat them. It'd probably be like swallowing phlegm.

reni2 Wed 18-Nov-15 23:44:48

I washed one in the washing machine once. I would happily keep any sort of creature that eats them, alas no animal thinks they are food I believe. Bleurgh

97 they'll be climbing up the outlet pipe. Go outside and cover the outlet with fine mesh and they'll probably stop.

TaliZorahVasNormandy Wed 18-Nov-15 22:47:58

I have those fuckers leaving trails on my carpets. Bastards get through the patio doors, no fucking idea how either.

Crazypetlady Wed 18-Nov-15 22:38:51

We had rats come into our cellar and eat the dog food once it was a very old house and my mum ended up washing a baby rat that had hidden in the washing pile.
Slugs ugh.

imwithspud Wed 18-Nov-15 22:37:53

Oh my gosh, I'm so glad it's not just me. Slugs have been the absolute bane of my life for the past 3 years.

We had a bad slug problem in our old house. We'd find trails all over the living room rug, my dd1s playmat/toys and to a lesser extent the kitchen. My dp once came downstairs for something, turned the light on in the living room to find a pile of about 7 of them all gathered in one spot. Thing is they don't hang about, we were sat down their no more than 30minutes earlier, it's like they wait for the lights to go out. He made the mistake of salting them there and then, which was vile to clean up afterwards. We even lined the living room with slug pellets to try and catch them (dd wasn't mobile at the time so no risk of finding and eating them). Found a few dead ones behind the sofa on occasion, at one point I was convinced they were living in the sofa. It was relentless.

We moved earlier this year and thought 'great, no more slugs!' Oh how naive we were. We still get them, not as bad but I once came down at about 3am to get a drink and found one in the living room and another in the kitchen. Grabbed some tissue and salt and took them straight outside. Vile creatures, we fill in every gap we can find yet they still manage to find their way in, how?? Why?? I think finding one in the dishwasher would actually be my worst nightmare.

Roomba Wed 18-Nov-15 22:09:38

I feel really bilious after reading this. Slugs are my no. 1 enemy, I think I am at the point of being actually phobic about them.

The slimy fuckers slither into my kitchen at night. Usually on the floor, but have occasionally found trails on the worktops <boak> and did once find one in the dishwasher! The last thing I do at night now is check the door is properly shut on the dishwasher.

Last year we got a couple of tiny ones coming out from under the bath - upstairs. Ew ew ew! Bleached like mad and replaced the entire bathroom suite (needed doing anyway, not just slug related), blocking little holes up. This seems to have stopped any upstairs ones. I found a baby one slithering up my living room wall just once too. I almost burned by house down in desperation.

I've been loathe to use slug pellets as didn't want DS eating them, but it's too wet for him to be out back anyway now, so am off to Wilkos tomorrow to buy some <shudder>.

WimpyArseWanks Wed 18-Nov-15 01:54:43

Bomb the dishwasher?

97lomondrd Wed 18-Nov-15 01:48:07

I have spent the evening filling every little gap in my kitchen, as I kept on finding Vile, horrible giant slugs in my dishwasher. The salt is topped up to max.

Happy with myself, no more slugs, going to bed opened the dishwaser door to find another two vile horrible creatures hanging off the door. I am at my wits end, they are just so revolting...any ideas ???

BerryLellow Fri 22-Jun-12 21:35:53

We had nocturnal fucking slugs in our old place. Every morning we would get up to find the slimy trails all over the kitchen and bathroom <heave>

I got up in the middle of the night to get a drink, and found a MASSIVE one and it's babies <retch> <retch> on the kitchen carpet. After that I would get up in the night to make a point of catching the bastards and flush them down the toilet wrapped in tissue.

This is not as bad as the night I woke up to a rat on the dining table chewing through my baby changing bag however

<rocks in corner>

We live somewhere else now, but I am vigilant in slug pellet application. They shall NOT cross this threshold grin

MsVestibule Fri 22-Jun-12 21:32:07

I'm feeling a bit bilious after reading this thread. I accidentally touched one and had to scrub my hands with a nail scrub the get rid of the slime shock.

Just remembered that our long haired cat used to sometimes bring them in on his belly hair. We really need a vomit emoticon. Olivia, you're on duty tonight - sort it out, love!

The only thing that worked for me was slug pellets.

iloveeverton Fri 22-Jun-12 21:23:47

A slug has broken my electric gates. Crawled on the control board and exploded on it! I have a £300 repair bill to replace and seal it!

Any slug I see gets the salt treatment!

soverylucky Fri 22-Jun-12 21:02:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now