Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

SLUG! In the dishwasher!

(45 Posts)
Magneto Sun 17-Jun-12 13:19:19

Is nowhere sacred from the slimy fuckers? It's having a merry old slime all over the rack. Dh won't be home to remove it until after 4.

I need new dishes, a new dishwasher and new plumbing. Donations welcome. Must come from slug free home.

cozietoesie Sun 17-Jun-12 20:22:02

I regard slugs as prima facie evidence of the existence of evil.

Celerychampagne Sun 17-Jun-12 20:48:48

The trial by salt link is inspired! grin
We used to suffer the slimy fuckers in our old victorian kitchen. A whole year of trails and me jumping and squealling when I found one in the sink/veg drawer. I moved the veg to a different location which helped but after about one year, a unspoken truce seemed to occur and they totally disappeared. Weird. I hate them, you have my sympathies...

cozietoesie Sun 17-Jun-12 20:59:09

And I'm sorry, magneto.

You said that they should all be over by your composter. Well they may well start off over there but - hey - lots of food, nice and warm, just what do you think they will be doing ? Having an orgy is what. And it's not a pretty sight let alone the prospect of hundreds or thousands of extra slugs next year!

FiftyShadesofViper Sun 17-Jun-12 21:03:50

It is apparently a horrible year for them as the mild winter means there are millions of the buggers. I hate using slug pellets but have resorted to them as I am sick of having my garden eaten. My garden is now liberally speckled with those little turquoise pellets and I picked 5 dead snails out of one pot yesterday.

If the entire ecology of the NW is poisoned it'll probably be me in my over-enthusiastic persecution of the slimy little feckers.

skybluepearl Sun 17-Jun-12 21:50:30

Maybe the slug fancied a sauna/steam room? Why should humans have all the perks?

Horrible slimy things just love our kitchen - last week, we found one inside the cereal, which was in an airtight container. How did the little fecker get in there??!!

Matildaandthematches Sun 17-Jun-12 22:14:25

We have them every night in our kitchen. I once trod on one wearing only a sock and it actually exploded.
The image of the contents of a burst slug will stay with me to my grave. Socks went straight in the bin.
Slugs really are Satan's own soldiers. OP - next time just shut the dishwasher and turn it into a long, hot cycle.

CatholicDad Sun 17-Jun-12 23:34:29

Are you being unreasonable? IMO, just a bit. You have a dishwasher

OlympicMarathonNCer Mon 18-Jun-12 00:31:45

Crap my dc is the dishwasher!

<legs it to see if the dc has eaten slugs>

Mind you I did get a lettuce fom Lidl once which was rife with them, interesting slug sandwich, <boak>

DollysDrawers Mon 18-Jun-12 07:15:59

Slugs don't bother me. Am I weird?

My mum got be out of bed once to remove a 'massive slug' that was on a plant pot on the kitchen window sill. It was so small I could hardly see it but she was terrified it would leap upstairs during the night. Bless her.

suedehead Fri 22-Jun-12 20:10:16

urgh, you have my sympathies.
i once discovered one sitting merrily in the bowl of our toilet. no trails around the loo - can only have come up through it. are they indestructible?!
i prodded it with a kebab skewer (now kept in the bathroom cabinet just in case...) and flushed like i've never flushed before. have spent the next 6 months frantically checking the bowl each time i head to the loo...
still feel a little bit guilty that my first thought was to have a go at DH for not flushing properly...

Magneto Fri 22-Jun-12 20:32:49

Well dh kindly left a message on the kitchen door this morning telling me to watch out for slugs as he stepped on one when he came in last night. Luckily the kitchen was slug free this morning, however there was one on the letterbox when I opened the door.

DairyNips Fri 22-Jun-12 20:41:22

Urgh, we have the slug problem in the evening too. Horrible fuckers. Can't work out where they're coming from or why and how to stop them! Dh has exploded one with his foot, I have stepped on a few but no explosions as yet <vomit>.

ChishAndFips Fri 22-Jun-12 20:51:14

Urgh, I really hate slugs too. Found one inside a pan, with the lid on, inside a cupboard once, I mean, HOW?!

When I had a rabbit there used to be loads sliming all over her food bowl when I went to feed her, they made me feel so sick. I used to put them in a pile on the grass then pour boiling salty water on them and watch them shrivel horribly grin.

Fortunately never stepped on one, though I once trod on a dead mouse brought in by the cat.

TheCunnyFunt Fri 22-Jun-12 20:54:50

Oooh we had slugs the first summer we lived here! We'd find trails every morning but could never find where they were coming from! If we stayed up late we caught quite a few, in the end I sprinkled slug pellets right across the front of the house outside, and they have never been back, it's our 3rd summer (if you can call it summer) in this house now!

When I was walking the dog the other day, the path we were walking along was covered in them, and every single one was facing the left side of the path.

catsmother Fri 22-Jun-12 20:57:04

Our very long haired cat brings them in on his fur ... presumably they climb aboard when he's sitting in the flowerbeds. Many's a time he's been sat on my lap while I've been idly stroking him and picking the inevitable bits of leaf, grass etc from his fur .... only to find that that when I thought I was easing out a tangle of hair I was actually squishing a slug between finger and thumb. They also disembark when he sits on the sofa .... I found a desicated one this morning when I was turning the cushions round and had to more or less peel it off.

soverylucky Fri 22-Jun-12 21:02:47

get some air vents fitted in the bricks under the sub floor. Honestly - sub floor ventilation is your friend. You also need a strip of copper wire by the back door and tons and tons and tons of salt outside the edge of the property. We used to have this problem. I used to cry about it - thought we would have to move but we haven't had one for several years now.

iloveeverton Fri 22-Jun-12 21:23:47

A slug has broken my electric gates. Crawled on the control board and exploded on it! I have a £300 repair bill to replace and seal it!

Any slug I see gets the salt treatment!

MsVestibule Fri 22-Jun-12 21:32:07

I'm feeling a bit bilious after reading this thread. I accidentally touched one and had to scrub my hands with a nail scrub the get rid of the slime shock.

Just remembered that our long haired cat used to sometimes bring them in on his belly hair. We really need a vomit emoticon. Olivia, you're on duty tonight - sort it out, love!

The only thing that worked for me was slug pellets.

BerryLellow Fri 22-Jun-12 21:35:53

We had nocturnal fucking slugs in our old place. Every morning we would get up to find the slimy trails all over the kitchen and bathroom <heave>

I got up in the middle of the night to get a drink, and found a MASSIVE one and it's babies <retch> <retch> on the kitchen carpet. After that I would get up in the night to make a point of catching the bastards and flush them down the toilet wrapped in tissue.

This is not as bad as the night I woke up to a rat on the dining table chewing through my baby changing bag however

<rocks in corner>

We live somewhere else now, but I am vigilant in slug pellet application. They shall NOT cross this threshold grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now